"Popping" Rear Fetlocks - HELP!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
I have a yearling colt that has both rear fetlocks making popping noises. He is one of my foals, and none of my other foals (even full sibling) have ever had this issue. Neither parent has this issue, and is out of champion bloodlines. Is this something serious? Will it go away? Can I use him to breed? I would love to receive feedback from anyone who has had this issue, and any suggestions to what could help.

Thanks, Carolyn

Sorry no help but will bump this up for You
default_wink.png
:

I really hope someone knowledgeable sees this and responds to your question. I am interested in the reply as well. Janet Day

Carolyn, I would suggest talking with your vet about this and find out if it is a thing with growth or possible something that would lead to locking stifles. Un frotunately even Champion stock can have stifle problems. Let us know what your vet says. Mary

I have a yearling colt that has both rear fetlocks making popping noises. He is one of my foals, and none of my other foals (even full sibling) have ever had this issue. Neither parent has this issue, and is out of champion bloodlines. Is this something serious? Will it go away? Can I use him to breed? I would love to receive feedback from anyone who has had this issue, and any suggestions to what could help.

Thanks, Carolyn

Wanted to follow-up and let everyone know that I spoke in great length to my vet yesterday. First question he had was the age of the horse. After stating the horse was a yearling, my vet says the popping noise is from an asynchronization of growth. His bones are growing faster than his ligaments. He says it should clear up, but begin adding Buckeye Brand Growing Wind to his diet. He also recommends feeding this to all foals (can give with Omalene 300 grain), as it possibly could have been prevented as a weanling. He also mentioned that two injections of Vitamins A, D, E, and Se could help.

My vet has been an equine vet for approximately 30 years, and ALWAYS stresses it is important what horses are fed. Even though the good grain is more expensive (ex. Omalene 300), it is worth it in the long run. I had a problem with a different brand of grain at the beginning of the year, and had 5 horses get sick (one died). I have learned first hand why he stresses diet so much, and now buy the Omalene 300. Even though it is for pregnant mares, foals, yearlings, and nursing mares, I feed this to all of my horses (even my Stallion and non pregnant mares). They all do well on this diet, and maintain their weight (do not get overweight). Hope this helps!

Thanks, Carolyn

Latest posts

Back