poll:pnuemobort K shot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I no longer vaccinate my pregnant mares for ANYTHING during pregnancy if at all possible. After experiencing a few late term abortions soon after vaccinating, I stopped. After doing some research, I discovered that if a mare were to run a fever of even one degree from a vaccine or otherwise, that could be enough to kill a fetus. So I stopped vaccinating and I stopped having late term abortions. This is strictly my personal approach. My vet still recommends vaccinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago when I first got into raising Miniatures, my vet recommended against it, so I have always followed his advice and have not done the 5, 7 and 9 months shots. However, I was giving it to all my horses as a part of their annual shots. Someone on here though, said that was useless giving once a year, so I stopped altogether.

I have been breeding for 3 years, I never gave any of my mares this shot, I have NEVER had one abort, ALL carried full term and gave textbook deliveries without assistance to healthy live foals.

We haven't used the shots for over 16 years since we moved here knock on wood...the first 4 years at the other place when we bred our own mares we did as it was highly vet recommened at that time and we had lose after lose sometimes as much as half the mares aborted after the shots. My husband said my vet just wanted to make money by promoting the shots so we decided to stop the shots after l talked it over with my mentor and losses went down to nile after that. l can count on one hand the number of foal losses since then and most if not all were stress/injury related or just didn't make it out of a rubbery bag.

I have to agree with Minimor. Our farm was one that was hit last spring when EHV/rhino swept around the country from the Ft Worth Stock Show. My two pregnant mares had been vaccinated and their foals were born ok. If you've had experience with rhino running through your farm, I would bet you would never miss a vaccine again. Although non-pregnant adult horses are usually only mildly affected, some can get very ill. I had to put several on antibiotics and one horse was hospitalized for 7 days with a secondary bacterial infection. He was not a show horse and hadn't been vaccinated in over a year.

Important to remember, if the mare was exposed to rhino before she gets the vaccine, the foal can still be aborted much later. That's why the vets are now recommendgin starting the series at 3 months. As I understand it, the vaccine only works for about 90 days, that's why you keep vaccinating so the anitbodies never go down. If my mare gets sore from the shot, my vet just has me give her some banamine at the same time as the shot and for the next day or two.

Until you have an abortion storm- you may not know the devastation Rhino can cause. We start giving shots at 3 months gestation. It could be too late for protection if you wait til month 5. And, I tell you that from experience.

Of course, it is your own decision.

We now give Rhino shots faithfully and have not had one late term abortion as a result.

Good luck on your decision.

Peggy

We haven't used the shots for over 16 years since we moved here knock on wood...the first 4 years at the other place when we bred our own mares we did as it was highly vet recommened at that time and we had lose after lose sometimes as much as half the mares aborted after the shots. My husband said my vet just wanted to make money by promoting the shots so we decided to stop the shots after l talked it over with my mentor and losses went down to nile after that. l can count on one hand the number of foal losses since then and most if not all were stress/injury related or just didn't make it out of a rubbery bag.
[SIZE=12pt]I have to agree with Becky and Relic, at least with what I have experienced. Years ago when Pnuemobort K first came out our vet said it was a must. Well I had the same experience as Relic. Shortly after giving the shot the mare would abort. Back then I had a herd of 17 head. 2 stallions, several youngsters and 10 brood mares. I find it strange that within a day of the vaccine the mares aborted. After that season I never used the shots again and never had a problem. I wasn't the only one at the time to experience this either
default_no.gif
[/SIZE]

I guess to each his own....
default_smile.png

Joy

There seems to have LONG been a 'controversy' about the brand "Pneumabort K", KV rhino vaccine,which is probably the one in widest use. Some have felt that there are, or have been, issues w/ the 'carrier'(adjuvant) of the vaccine, with the process, or even with the vaccine itself.

Early on, when I was still breeding, I gave it faithfully at 5, 7, and 9 months. However, I began to read of many concerns about it. I haven't studied my records to see if there seemed to be a connection with any of the abortions that occurred here(I had several over time--one at about three months, a couple much later, at @ 7 and 9 months, which linger in my mind; am sure there may have been others, too.)What I DID find was that the ONLY site abcess I EVER had occur was following the administration of that particular vaccine...and several instances of serious soreness, swelling and heat at the site(and I do not give shots in the neck). In my later years of breeding, I either gave NO such shots, or, gave it only once or twice, like at 7 and 9, or only at 9, months of gestation. I had no late term abortions during that time.

My personal feeling about this is that there are several factors in play, including whether or not some/all of your horses leave your premises for venues where many horses gather, and how often; whether 'outside' horses come to your premises, and how often; whether you have other horses living nearby--and so on. My 'guess' is that you *might* have a 'better chance' of being able to 'do without' this particular vaccination in a breeding situation if your horses mostly aren't hauled to shows, esp. those where MANY horses compete or have 'come and gone' in the facility,your location is not 'next to' other horses, esp. ones that might NOT be being kept on a good vaccination and husbandry schedule...you see where I am going. I don't think anyone could EVER know for sure what approach would 'reliably work' for them; but I do think it wise to weigh these kinds of factors in deciding what position YOU will take.

I am thankfully no longer breeding. I give a once yearly multiple booster that includes E, W, and VEE, tetanus toxoid, flu, and KV rhino, and a separate WN. IF I were to haul anybody to a show, or any venue where they'd stay in a facility where other horses also stayed, esp. over one or more nights, I'd be sure to booster at least two weeks preceeding w/ a rhino/flu (or, if one were to suffer an open injury and it's been more than three months since their booster, I'd give a tetanus toxoid booster)-otherwise, that's pretty much 'it'. My horses are all now fully adult-no young stock.

Margo

WOW
default_new_shocked.gif
...lots of information to consider, thanks everyone!!!

Here is my dilemma: Sahara has had the 5 mo. and the 7 mo. shots-ok with the first, very sore and touchy with the second. I am (hopefully) adding another mare to my herd within a couple of weeks that has NOT had any of the Pnuemobort K shots and is due in April.

Should I give Sahara the last shot to make sure she is vaccinated against the other mare possibly bringing Rhino here and do I start the new mare on the shots to make sure she is safe throughout her gestation? This new mare is coming from a very large herd(30 minis) that are regularly vaccinated and wormed and well taken care of, so it is doubtful if she would be exposed to Rhino, but????????

What do you all recommend?

Shelly

My vet said the same thing as Barnbum's did. It is a transmittable disease and I have a closed herd, so it really isn't an issue. My show horses are a mile away at another farm, so they are not in contact with my breeding stock, and new horses go to the show barn for at least the first month or so, so the closed herd remains closed. I do give the regular rhino shot to everyone, boys and girls alike, and frankly don't have abortion issues, my losses all seem to be from mispositioning issues
default_sad.png
, I used to give them though and can't say I ever saw the soreness issues I'm hearing about, is it possible that the vaccine has changed? I do however give them their yearly boosters prior to foaling and can't say I've had an issue with that either.

Latest posts

Back