Please say a prayer for our little filly! Update!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwminis

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Yesterday morning at 6:30 AM, we went out to feed and found our yearling filly Dovey lying on the groung with all 4 legs up! She rolled over, got up and went right back down! She was in full blown colic with squirting brown water every time she raised her tail! [/SIZE]

Wanalynn got her haltered and I walked her while Wanalynn went to get her a shot of Banimine! Gave her 2cc of Banimaine and some Gastrogaurd. It stopped the rolling! We walked her for several minutes and put her in a stall with a camera so we could keep an eye on her!

I went on to work! Wanalynn called me around 11:00 AM and said she wasn't doing any better at all, so I ran home, hooked up the trailer and we headed to the hospital! By the time we got to the hospital she was grinding her teeth in pain! Our vet met us at the door and took Dovey straight in to exam her! We tubed her with Kaopectate and gave her another shot of banimine! They took blood and it was all pretty normal! She didn't have a fever, nor was she dehydrated! Our vet seems to think she may have ulsers! They kept her overnight so they could keep a close eye on her! This morning there was no change at all in her condition!

We went to the hospital at 5:00 PM to see her and she was still colicing a little! Our vet called at 7PM and updated us on Dovey! There's still no change in her condition tonight! Our vet says she's not in grave danger, but still wants to keep her a few days to make sure she's OK!

Dovey is 17 months old and she was our fist born in 06! Please say a little prayer for our little gal!

Thank so much

Bill & Wanalynn

[SIZE=12pt]Update 8-19-07 [/SIZE]

We didn't hear from our vet today! He said he would call if things got worse, so we are praying she's doing OK! I'll update tomorrow as soon as we talk to our vet!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers Prayers
default_wub.png
:

So Sorry
default_sad.png

Keeping her in my thoughts.

I hope she recovers fully, and soon....

Liz M.

default_sad.png
I'm sorry your little girl is so sick Bill. I hope she feels better quick.

Is your filly still having pipestream diarrhea? If so, please ask your vet to evaluate her for colitis and clostridial infection. BioSponge is an excelent product to use for diarrhea but the cause should be determined in case she has a bacterial infection and needs a different course of treament.

Best wishes for your little one!

Bill,

Before I finished reading your post I KNEW it was going to be ulcers.............Is your vet treating accordingly? If so, your little gal should be home very soon.

MA

Bill that's awful.

I don't know if this will help or if you want to consider this, but over the past month or so seems like a ton of horses are worm colicing in this state due to an abnormal amount of parasites; especially the younger ones. As a precaution, I did a 5 day purge of Safeguard on mine just in case despite our normal routine plus probios. The chatter says it could somehow be realted to our drought conditions and this insane heat wave that is killing people and animals.

Good luck with Dovey. I wish her a quick and speedy recovery.

[SIZE=12pt]Prayers coming your way for Dovey. Sure hope for good news today.[/SIZE]

Barbie

Hi Bill,

How is that filly doing today? I HOPE better.
default_smile.png
)

These little guys can be so delicate! She's in my thoughts.

~Sandy

Oh Bill & Wanalynn........I'm so sorry to hear Dovey is still not doing well.
default_sad.png
Prayers are coming!
default_pray.gif
:

I am so sorry, I pray she is doing better today
default_pray.gif
:

I have to agree with MtnShadowsFarm. I've had amazing results with Kaolin 35cc (its also a clay product similar to the biosponge) and Pepto Bismal double strength 35cc. My mini mare did the same thing I treated her with the Pepto Bismal every 6 hours until her stools firmed up and then on to the kaolin every 12 hours. Its REALLY important to keep them eating, add water to a low carb complete feed and force feed them with an old paste wormer tube. I cut the point off and burned the hole bigger with a nail.

My mares blood work also came back unremarkable except for a slightly lower albumin.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back