Please Help ME Fit My Harness!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyAlaska

Reaction score
I purchased the Smart Cart with the marathon shafts and I went to hook up my Mini last night but had a few questions about some of the fittings. His trainer in CA was driving him in a regular Easy Entry cart and did not seem to have a problem with the trace length. I tried to hook Jack up yesterday and the traces were super loose and they need to have holes punched to tighten them. He had plenty of clearance from the cart at least 8-12 inches but still tons of slack in the traces. How much tension should be on the traces when he is just standing to be harnessed? If holes do need to be punched how do you determine where to punch them for the best fit? I also have a few questions about the marathon shafts. The Smart Cart is SUPER adjustable which does not make it very user friendly for someone that does not know what they are doing. LOL How much space should be between his body and the shaft. Everything else seems to be OK. Once I get him hooked safely I will take some pictures so you can give his turnout the once over and help me do any final adjustments. I recently rented a movie from Giddy Up Flix that I must have watched at least 10 times and has been a life saver with my harness fitting. It is from Rural Heritage and the tile is Horse and Cart with Robyn Cuffey. I learned how to attach the breaching properly from watching this movie! This has been a super helpful video and I highly recommend this to other new drivers.

Well you started off with the right equipment, which is great! I adjust my marathon shafts so they are about 2-3" away from the side of my horse and they allow the tug strap to hang straight down when the horse is in draft. That gives you a couple of inches of play forward and back. That is the best I can do for you without pictures, which we want to see anyway your new setup! Congratulations! :D

Latest posts

Back