Please answer honestly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you...

• For horse slaughter?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Against horse slaughter?

• Undecided?

• Total voters

MooreAcres

Reaction score
*I'm doing this for my research paper on horse slaughter. I would like to use it as a statistic, so please answer honestly. Thanks, Erin*

Okay this didn't quite come out like I wanted it too. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I will be a bold one and reply.

I do not support horse slaughter the way it is happening now. However, if they started raising horses specifically for meat, like cows, pigs, chickens, etc are, I would not have a problem with it. There are many countries where they eat horses. And I personally could never do it. But it could be an industry like any other meat industry. I can see how someone that doesn't support those industries wouldn't support a horse meat industry either.

As it is now though, I don't support what is being done. I don't think mustangs that have been brought off the range or horses found at auction, that could have been someone's beloved pet at one time, should be hacked up for people to eat in a different country.

I agree with RMH to a point. I think there is a place for horse slaughter as long as it's done as humanely as possible; this includes all aspects of slaughter; shipping to, the euthanasia part and all.

Mixed Feelings or perhaps "Undecided" here......For just the reasons posted previously.

Currently the slaughter industry is not handled very well, IMO.

MA

As a (gritting my teeth as I say this
smile.gif
)European I have become used to the idea of slaughterhouses and as I have said before I have three within shouting distance as well as a Crematorium for Pets (now there's a money spinner if ever I saw one!!!) I do not mind horses going for slaughter- I do not mind horses being eaten- I have no problem with it at all, even though it would not be my first choice of meat. I have a HUGE problem with the way the horses are treated, and in this I would like to also include any meat animal. Strangely enough I also have a HUGE problem with horses being raised as meat animals. During and after the War over here horse meat was eaten- there was little choice. There were also a great number of ponies slaughtered in the early days of the War as animals under 13hh were not allowed to be kept unless working and were not allowed to be bred. Those who were unable to turn them loose on moors and open land as many did, had no option but to have them put down. When you have just had a very well covered animal in the prime of life and health, put down, and there is a queue twice round the block for anycut of meat, you do NOT let that meat go to waste!!!

So- slaughter- Yes- an absolute necessity. Slaughter for Human Consumption?? I would rather see an animal put down as close to home as possible, so, if this were to mean a long journey, NO. Export for slaughter?? Absolutely NOT. NO animal should go alive across any border, for slaughter, either in your country or in mine. If we could get that passed it would save no end of suffering, everywhere.

MooreAcres said:
*I'm doing this for my research paper on horse slaughter. I would like to use it as a statistic, so please answer honestly. Thanks, Erin*
Okay this didn't quite come out like I wanted it too. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

477531[/snapback]

Moore Acres.......I fixed your poll. I think this is the way you wanted it. If not let me know.

Carol

You know there should have been one more to choose form and that is Anti Cuelity...And that is what I an for..As these bills do not prevent the cruelty from happening to horses while in transit and that is what should have been protected. And now with the USDA Inspectors taken out of the picture more abuse more in humane treatment can occur while be transported while in holding pens and yes even though the Anti People say it will stop the slaughter it won't just send the horses up to Canada and or Down into Mexico..So without any inspectors there Anything can take place..More USDA funds so have been allocated not stopping them...More strict laws concerning the Possessing and transporting should be addressed.. Well Off my soap box now But saying Pro Slaughter should have been Against the Inhumane treatment of horses that is what we Pro people are for IMO. And we are against Badly written laws that could be used in such a way that it would effect all horses and horse people.

I find it difficult to vote in the poll given the options available. Would I knowingly and openly send my own horses to slaughter, No. Do I support the slaughter of unwanted, uncared for, unsound, injured horses, Yes. Am I undecided as to how or where slaughter should take place , Well I just do not know. We have a slaughter plant not to far from here and while animal rights groups have spoke of nothing but disdain of the treatment they have been inpsected and checked on time after time and never never been sited for anything but trivial (broken paper towel dispencer in rest room ) infractions. We also have a rendering plant near here (Now thats a stench, The smells from that place would knock a maggot off a gut cart !!!!!) The rendering plant normally handles animals that have died on the farm from natural causes. They take everthing from chickens and ducks to draft horses. The proverbial "glue factory" type scenerio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmmm! I think there is a place for horse slaughter as long as it's done in a humanely way. I don't like the way they do it in slaughter houses today. as some of the horses do not die right away and that is the sad part as they go out in pain.. They need to fine a better way of doing it.

I think maybe, that if horses were just raise for the purpose of meat and not being aloud to be come anyones pet or was anyones pet, then well, I could live with that. Maybe
unsure.gif

Its just hard to look at a horse as a product of meat. Cows and pigs and sheep/goats well yes as thats what I am use to but, a horse.... They are a sign of beauty to behold.

But then thinking another way here... If we didn't have slaughter houses, then we would be over run by all these unwanted horses. Who would take care of them all.

Then also if they ran free they would die most likely a horrible death anyways.

So I guess I am really unsure as to what to think.
unsure.gif

Joyce

I am against horse slaughter as it is. I am also against raising horses for human consumption.

I am against it! I think that is what cows and pigs ect. are for! I dont beleive pets should be ate, and most horses are pets! That would DESCAUSED me to eat my favorite animal!

-Gage-

The poll is still worded badly IMHO...
wink.gif

Slaughter is, unfortunately, a necessary evil. I won't repeat the same things I have said in the other threads about this. I think we need to make sure the horses are transported and handled in a humane way... and there is nowhere to click on the poll to reflect that....
smile.gif

For God sakes eat a cow, pig , etc. anything cloven hoofed is fair game.

I think the humanity thing is my idea also. I hate to see perfectly good horses out bid on to go to slaughter, however, it happens quite often. I also have a problem with all this raising of PMU foals who go to slaughter... I wouldn't want any of mine to go there. I do think we have to have a place for certain types of horses to go as we can't rescue them all and since large horses can live into their thirties etc...

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sad.gif
Just thinking about the pain and suffering some animals (not just horses) go through simply because they are a 'lesser species' feels like someone thrust a dagger into the very core of my soul! It makes me want to cry
crybaby.gif
and scream and give 'some people' more than just a talking to.
torch.gif
MANY prayers going out to those poor animals!
pray.gif

Pork Chop says......"eat a horse save a pig"
wink.gif
ok sorry......your poll is worded badly....I do not personally support horse slaughter however I truly believe it is not only a neccessary evil but often a better option than many horses are given.......I also believe the entire slaughter industry needs to be more humane with regards to ALL MEAT ANIMALS........

..As these bills do not prevent the cruelty from happening to horses while in transit and that is what should have been protected. And now with the USDA Inspectors taken out of the picture more abuse more in humane treatment can occur while be transported while in holding pens

USDA Inspectors inspect MEAT not Humane conditions so that has no bearing at all. That is why the ASPCA etc investigate cruelty cases and not USDA inspectors.

I am in the middle on this. I HATE that we have slaughter, no wait, make that I hate that we have the need for slaughter. Far too many people breed for all the wrong reasons. I would prefer an animal be humanely euthanised , for whatever reason, slaughter, illness etc, than see one suffer. Would I eat horsemeat? If I had no other choice, but I dont ever see that happening. ( I hope)

I voted against, for any reason, any method, any time and NO I do not and have never viewed it as some necessary evil any more than I think our dogs and cats should be slaughtered for overseas consumption. US horses lost their true livestock status many years ago and for the most part are viewed as companion animals now rather than a commodity.

We could have 10 times the amount of plants we still have open I am not so naive to believe slaughter will EVER end animals from being starved, neglected or unwanted. They haven't before and never will. I'd rather see those that will not take care of their animals or harm them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law instead.

Last edited:
I am against it and horses are being more human these days . I can't stand hearing about it all the time.

Leslie

I'm against it and I don't think it is ever a necessary evil. I think we should control the problem at the source and that is breeding. If we could only get every Tom, Dick and Harry to stop breeding just for the fun of it - that would be a big start.

I could never eat a horse-Just like I can't eat a pig- they're too smart. When I was in Korea, I could hardly believe the way they sold live dogs in the marketplace to be butchered and eaten. That's an image that will never go away in my mind but Koreans think it perfectly natural. More people need to put their foot down and make horse slaughter unacceptable.

Latest posts

Back