Pinto Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wings

Reaction score
I'm trying to identify the patterns of my pintos as I like to be more exact then just putting down "pinto" on my records.

I think I'm getting the hang of it but wanted to run it through those who have a better grasp of the patterns.

Firstly the ones I'm very sure of,

Bay mare, one white sock, one large off centered white face marking and two very obvious blue eyes.

Listed as a splash in her pedigree and I'd agree. Sound right?

Black stallion, large with leg markings, small belly splash and a white trickle down a small portion of his mane and down his shoulder. White roaning on his face and over his back that is very clear in summer but not that visible in his winter coat.

Tobiano with Sabino?

Now for the less sure ones.

Derbya.jpg

Pintaloosa bred, 3 white socks and one white stocking with striped hooves and black dots at the base of the white leg markings. White mark on shoulder and another smaller one on his rump. Lots of white roaning around the rump marking and what appears to be very minor roaning on other parts of his coat. Could be sabino but could be the start of appie varnishing. Thoughts?

Painted.jpg

Tobiano and Overo breeding in her pedigree, solid markings but white flecking on her face. One blue eye.

Thoughts?

Jilla.jpg

No blue eyes, no roaning. Very much what you see is what you get with this girl.

Thoughts?

If anyone wants to offer their opinion it would be great, if anyone has the time to help explain why they are what pattern they are that would be fantastic
default_biggrin.png
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to guess (the ones pictured) are all variations of tobiano. Solid heads, leg white and white crossing over the back between the withers and their rump , dark coloring extending down their neck and onto their chest looking like a shield, are are pretty traditional signs of tobiano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Carolyn, I seem to have worked out all the dilute stuff but the pinto stuff is still confusing my poor brain!
default_smile.png

Here's my go, no expert, jmo going off your descriptions/photos and experience with my horses marked similar..

Bay mare, one white sock, one large off centered white face marking and two very obvious blue eyes.

Listed as a splash in her pedigree and I'd agree. Sound right?

Could be splash, BUT has she been LWO tested? Frame can cause blue eyes as well..

Black stallion, large with leg markings, small belly splash and a white trickle down a small portion of his mane and down his shoulder. White roaning on his face and over his back that is very clear in summer but not that visible in his winter coat.

Tobiano with Sabino?

Sounds to me like Tobiano/Sabino/Splash

Pintaloosa bred, 3 white socks and one white stocking with striped hooves and black dots at the base of the white leg markings. White mark on shoulder and another smaller one on his rump. Lots of white roaning around the rump marking and what appears to be very minor roaning on other parts of his coat. Could be sabino but could be the start of appie varnishing. Thoughts?

This one is a tough, what were parents markings?

Tobiano and Overo breeding in her pedigree, solid markings but white flecking on her face. One blue eye.

Thoughts?

Tobiano/Splash and probably Sabino

No blue eyes, no roaning. Very much what you see is what you get with this girl.

Thoughts?

Tobiano/Splash and probably/possibly Sabino

This one is a tough, what were parents markings?

Dam is a solid burnt buckskin from two solid parents.

Sire is simply listed as "pintaloosa" from a pinto parent and an appaloosa parent.

Which is why I want to get my details much more exact!

Last mare is typical of Splash/Tobiano- see how the Tobi has limited the spread of white at the shoulder?

Also probably Sabino in there to help extend the white.

The first is Tobiano base- do not be sure the Appy will not come through, my stallion Carlos is only now "roaning" on his rump at rising seven and he has thrown two Pintaloosa and one straight Appy foals!

Second mare is Sabino + Tobiano- probably!

Since there is no test for any of these- well you can test for Tobi but you can see that is there...all of this is educated guess work.

Latest posts

Back