Pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRERS

Reaction score
Can I see wooly winter pictures of your Shetland weanlings and also pictures of them shed out? I'm trying to figure out what this cutie is going to look like! These are updated pictures of Reilly, the weanling that we rescued a few months ago.
default_smile.png
His mom was a 10hh black Shetland and they're unsure about what she was bred to, but it was reported at auction that it was a registered Pinto Shetland.

Reilly is just under 11hh already and he is only approximately 5 months old, if that. Are Shetlands usually that tall as weanlings? Does he look like he is a Shetland? He is starting to grey out in his mane ever so slightly - do you think he'll turn grey/pinto?

Also, he was quite thin when he came in - it was hard to tell under all his fluff, but upon physical examination, you could clearly feel his ribs, spine, hip bones and his neck was very thin as well. We have him on Blue Seal Mare & Foal, which I love and it has 16% protein - he also gets great quality alfalpha/orchard grass mix as recommended by our vet. He has been on this for the 2 months he's been here and has also been wormed with SafeGuard and Equimax, but he still has a HUGE pot belly - he is gaining good weight and his ribs, etc... are not nearly as prominent, but that belly won't go away!! He gets plenty of exercise ripping and tearing on 11 acres - is it just going to take time? Is there anything else we can be doing to get rid of it? Our big guys are on daily wormer and get Equimax paste 4 times a year as well - I am thinking of putting Reilly on the daily wormer as well because I always see a tremendous difference with it.

I have always had big horses, and we are mainly a QH rescue, but there was no way I could turn this little guy down, and since taking him in, I am completely in love with him! He is so smart and just a little mush full of love - he was unhandled when he came and quite a little whirlwind and in only a few short months, he is such a little pocket pony. If he could, I think he'd curl up in my lap, lol.
default_wub.png
:

HorsesDec10007.jpg

HorsesDec10005.jpg

HorsesDec10004.jpg

If he is 11hhs at 5 months old, then unfortunately, I do not believe you have a pure shetland. He's obviously crossed with something large as 11 hhs equals to 44inches. The maxium height allowed for an adult shetland is 46inches.

SafeGuard is fenbendazole and equimax I believe is ivermectin. Rotating pyrantel pamoate (Strongid) should help and make sure not to under dose. Weanling bellies can take awhile to get rid of, especially if he's a rescue with a questionable history.

He looks like he could be a dark shade of silver dapple in the pictures but with the baby fuzz and winter fuzz it is hard to tell.

If he's that tall already he's a cross bred. I would guess since they said the sire was a "Pinto Shetland" they may have meant PtHA pinto x Shetland or just a smaller PtHA pony. It is amazing sometimes what people who aren't familar with Shetlands and their height maximum will call a "shetland"! I exhibit ponies at the Minnesota Horse Expo every year and I can't count the number of times I get asked "Isn't that pony short for a Shetland?" when I'm holding the lead rope on a very average in height 42 or 44 inch pony!

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Shetlands, from Shetland can only be 42 inches fully grown, I know you guys have a different style of pony over there.

personally I wouldn't care what breed he is, he's going to grow up into a beautiful little horse, big enough for kids ro ride and you to drive, nice markings too.

Latest posts

Back