Pictures of palomino appy colt with Red Eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathyjo

Reaction score
Sorry this has taken so long - my original post was almost a week ago - and many thanks to those who told me about the genetic defect and the red eyes. We will be having the vet out this week. Unfortunately, everything was delayed - I ate or drank the wrong thing somewhere and came down with Hepatitis A and a kidney infection on top of it - so I'm still not functioning on all hooves.

We believe he has diminished vision. Compared to our other foals born within two days of him, his eyes are not bugged out - but it is very hard to see any pupil in one eye. Hopefully he is not blind and we can geld him and give him away as a pet. If he is blind and/or has other problems, we will have to discuss our options for him again.

heartsfoaleyes06.jpg

Hearts06appycolt3.jpg
hearts06appycolt1.jpg

I hope you are feeling better. It's so hard to be sick and try to catch up on everything.

Your little guy is so cute, red eyes and all. I feel really bad for him, if indeed there is a problem with his eyes and sight. If he does have that disease that you were told about, what happens to him then? I'm not familiar with the different diseases. Anyways, best of luck with him and get yourself better.
default_yes.gif
:

Didn't someone on here have a foal last year with red eyes? I can't remember who it was but they had questions about him too.

Maybe do a search on the forum for red eyes?

He is cute though!

Awww, he is just a little doll!!!!! Such a shame he is having problems, And sorry u are sick too. Hope he will be ok, but those sure are red eyes!!!!

Cathyjo, Wishing all the best for both you AND your little guy!

Hope the vet has some positive news about his eyesight for you.........

MA

What a precious boy, he is such a cutie. I don't know anything about the red eyes.

What does this mean? I am sorry you are sick to. What will happen with him?

Saying many prayers for him

Vicky

aww hes so cute. this sure does look like asd. the good thing is it usually progresses slowly. Cathy the ones i have seen that bug out arent red. Seems like the ones with the red eyes dont bug like the normal ASD horses.

Vicky most research says this is related to the silver dapple gene. Some now say its not. I will say that all the horses i have seen with it were silver dapple. And usually very heavily silver dapple bred (generation after generation) . Its seen a lot in rocky mountain horses with are silver based.

Cathy im sending prayers you get feeling better asap!

Please keep me updated, I have an appy filly who's sire is silver dapple and I recently noticed that around her pupil/iris where the eye is supposed to be white, hers is pink...i'm not sure if that would be a really mild case of this or if maybe she's just allergic to something or what? It doesn't effect her eyesight, isn't itchy or bothersome...she acts like nothing's up but i'm curious why her eyes are slightly pink where they should be white..

any idea's on this?

Keep me posted please!

KayKay

Thanks for your response, so what will happen with him. Does this mean he will go blind? Will he have

to be put down? Does this mean he will be just blind or is there more problems? I am sorry your baby

might have this, he is such a beauty. Prayers continue

Vicky

Here is a link to one site which talks about ASD: ASD

However, keep in mind that the studies conducted were not necessarily all they should be to prove that ASD is linked to silver. Lewella knows more about it than I do but I take her word for it. If you follow the links at the bottom of that page you can see more pictures and such too.

Is ASD the silver linked eye problem I have heard about? I hope this isnt it- he is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the website, that does not look like what he is exhibiting..

Last edited by a moderator:
What a pretty colt! I certainly hope his eye issues turn out to be something non life threatening!

And best wishes to his owner too for a speedy recovery!

Charlotte

The vet was to be out today, however her sister in Iowa had a stroke and she is there. They are not sure when she will return.

If I can get feeling better, I'm going to take him to the U of I this week and find out for sure. He does exhibit basic sight problems of some sort - appears to see shapes and shadows, but not definite objects. When he can't find his dam and gets confused - he will stop and go in tight circles. His dam may only be a few feet away, but he can't find her. She will come over and "bump" him so he stops the circling. Other times, he runs and bucks and seems to have no problem getting back to her. When ever another foal comes over to him, he just stays in one spot and appears to "listen" then will finally turn his head their way, but does not follow in their play, just stands in that same spot until they move off from him - then he will find his dam.

Will feel better when I know something about him for sure.

Thank you for your kind responses. Our hope is that even if his proves to have a sight problem, there will be nothing else and we can find him a forever pet home as keeping him right now with our moving in the future, etc., does not appear feasible for us nor the best thing for him.

Cathy, get well and keep us posted on what is going on. What a time for your vet to be out of town! Might get a better response at the U though??

Cathyjo,

Have you considered puting a little bell on the dam's halter? It wouldn't take him long to figure out that the bell and his mom go together.

MA

Latest posts

Back