Pictures of Marbles at the World Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, why do you have to breed her back to her sire (I'm really not into inbreeding like that myself) ? Is that something the genetics/color experts have suggested? Could you just find an unrelated smutty and get the same result? Have the people breeding brindles found that adding back another smutty into the equation gives you a better chance of getting another brindle?

When one wants to enhance a gene in something, one has to line and inbreed. Yes the genetics lab suggested it to me. Marbles is a product of line breeding, as her sire is a grandson of Komoko Little King Supreme and Marbles dam is a daughter of Komoko Little King Supreme.

I have bred some top dogs in the country for over 30 years. In dogs we mention someones line. That the dogs look like Dolbrooks breeding; their lines. Why, because we, the successful ones, line breed. We breed to enhance a certain aspect or aspects that we like in our lines, as well as remove ones we do not like. Over the years I have been able to correct bites, keep hereditary problems away from my lines that others have and are producing today that where not there 30 years ago, improve hip problems and produce a really correct dog with beautiful coats and temperments. I always cringe when I have to bring in new blood, as you just do not know what you are going to introcduce no matter how careful one is when choosing new blood. This last time, I ended up with temperment problems, too agressinve or too shy that have taken me years to breed out. Fortunatly, it did not bring in more medical problems, but now I have to find some more fresh blood and I just am not ready to find the problems this new line will bring.

I know some top farms in Morgans that have line bred and some of the top horses are line bred. Line breeding can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. One needs to know what one is doing and learn from their mistakes.

Marbles is a product of line breeding, as her sire is a grandson of Komoko Little King Supreme and Marbles dam is a daughter of Komoko Little King Supreme.
This is something that REALLY fascinates me because Ozymandias - (post edited after confirmation of Ozy now being a brindle) is a great grandson of none other than Komokos Little King Supreme. So interesing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marbles is a product of line breeding, as her sire is a grandson of Komoko Little King Supreme and Marbles dam is a daughter of Komoko Little King Supreme.
This is something that REALLY fascinates me because Ozymandias - who is not a brindle but who is covered in some form of unidentified striping coming from the same color modifier (smutty) thought to be responsible for brindle is a great grandson of none other than Komokos Little King Supreme. So interesing.

I am finding that these stripes that many horses have in their smutty coats as well as ones like Marbles seem to be coming down from the Komoko King Supreme lines.

I know that Little King farms did a lot of in and line breeding, not sure if they did it with Supreme, but they have never encountered stripes. That is what John has told me.

Well, I find your little girl and your research totally fascinating and wish you all the luck in the world producing another Marble one day.

It's a shame that mares can't pop out "litters" every few months
default_rolleyes.gif
. I do think I'll look into getting a roan mare...or roan with Supreme lines
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wink.png

Good luck to you and thanks for updating us all on the wonderful Marbles.

Last edited by a moderator:
She is really cute and the color just makes her so unique!!! She has the cutest head and all... just wait til next year! She will be a knock out!

Latest posts

Back