Piano Pieces/Classical Music

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WashingtonCowgirl

Reaction score
Does anyone else here listen to classical music? What are some of your favorite pieces? I'm really into Satie right now, and just bought sheet music for both the Trois Gymnopedies and Trois Gnossiennes. Another favorite is Peace Piece by Bill Evans.

So, what are your favorites?

For classical piano: Chopin.

For orchestral: Brahms and Debussy.

...and I love lieder, especially Schubert.

For jazz piano: Thelonius Monk! I also love Bill Evans, and for contemporary jazz pianists, Benny Green and George Cables (for his composition as well as his performance). Another lesser known (except amongst musicians): Dawn Clements, who used to play in a Portland big band I was in. She will be a clinician at the 2013 Centrum (Port Townshend) jazz workshop. If you ever get a chance to hear or study with her, don't miss out.)

I won't go into favorite saxophonists here...far too many to mention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes- Debussy! Claire de Lune! Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun.... My sister played piano for many years as we grew up, and Claire de Lune is still our favorite. Oh! And Arabesque was the other favorite one she played............

Speaking of jazz, I wonder if anyone remembers the jazz pianist, Joe Albany? In 1981, he was the subject of an extremely interesting documentary. I saw him just a couple of years before he died. Incredible pianist. I never forgot him. Strangely enough, years later while in a book shop, I was discussing jazz with a lady who worked there. Turned out she was JA's daughter. How odd is that!

I don't necessarily listen to classical music as such, but do love opera. I was once married to an opera singer. Did a little bit myself. Now I have a granddaughter who has a superb operatic voice. My mother and grandmother sang well, as does my daughter. If you know of Shirley Bassey, my daughter has the same sort of voice. She recently sang backup for some group - can't remember who now though.

I do play the piano and know a few classical pieces. My pride and joy, is my 1869 Victorian square grand. She needs tuning at the moment, so I don't play at the moment. Few know how to tune those square grands.

Lizzie

I've really just discovered my love of piano-only music, so this should give me a few more to listen to
default_smile.png

I prefer piano with an orchestra. I'll have to check out some of these suggestions.

I've been into my harp recordings lately. My favorite is a tape from 1990. Sure wish I could find it on CD before the tape croaks. I bought it in Stratford-on-Avon, Welch artists, and I cannot find it any more new. Now that more music is available on the web, I need to make a new search for it.

Alawon Poblogaidd Ar Ddwy Delyn

I wouldn't even try to pronounce that!

A friend of mine in the University of Oregon music school was a harp major. I always complained about carrying three saxophones between home and campus until I saw what she went through to transport her harp. There weren't any minivans around in the late 70s/early 80s -- or if there were, they were probably beyond the budget of a college student -- so she somehow managed to squeeze it into the back seat of an old car. I know listen to harp with added appreciation for what they go through to play that particular instrument!

I've really just discovered my love of piano-only music, so this should give me a few more to listen to
default_smile.png
You might like Lorie Line. I find her music so relaxing. If her music was piped into stores, cars, the workplace, and the malls the doctors could stop prescribing prozac.
default_thumbup.gif

Marsha. 'Alawon Poblogaidd Ar Ddwy Delyn', means something like a popular or famous song, played on two harps.

Lizzie
Thank you! That is exactly what it is: two harpists playing popular/famous songs!

I have several harp cds. I find it more relaxing than piano or dulcimer.

In medieval times, women were not allowed to play the harp. The minstrels carried harps. Minstrels were the traveling news carriers and told the tales of adventure and romance in ballads. Not sure when the harp became associated with women ; anyone know of a modern male harp player??

I have complained to the company management about the music in our local grocery store. It is so boistrous that it makes me shop really quickly! And on the hour they have the news. Terrorist attacks, crime, and monotonous political trash is NOT stuff one wants to hear while choosing foods and reading labels. The company referred me BY NAME to the local manager who waylaid me while I was shopping. He told me all the top 10 of genres of music where played in sequence--trying to be all things to all people, I suppose. There is NO classical music played. I guess it isn't a "top genre". Also no folk music played.

My option is to drive 22 miles to another grocery store...

I love Canon In D Major by Pachabel but don't know if there's a piano in it, I'm walking down the aisle in it in 4 weeks, I'm so excited, it's so beautiful.

While Pachelbel's Canon in D was originally written for strings, you can find arrangements for and recordings of almost any instrument. I played it on flute for a friend's wedding and have played an arrangement for saxophone quartet. My husband plays his own arrangement on acoustic guitar. As much as I've played and heard it, I never get tired of Canon in D, and it still brings tears to my eyes. Great choice for your wedding.

Here's just one of many solo piano performances available on YouTube:

Latest posts

Back