personality (horse) for driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 35 inch appy mare that we just had started in harness. She is spooky and we are going to do a lot of despooking on the ground out of the harness and then keep working her in harness. I think if you have a spooky horse it can make a driving horse but it might need alot more time in harness to make then reliable and trusting.

Barb

I am still not sure if I can despook this little mare enough to drive. She is smart, sensitive, eager to please and sweet but every morning I come in the fence to clean her paddock and jumps straight up in the air as if she's never seen me before, trots off then comes back to eat. She will follow me around like a dog, does tricks, but when I pop in I become a big scary thing. Even after I say her name as I pop in.

I've sacked her out with tarps, a feedbag, plastic bags, ropes. She will go forward and back over a tarp. She is good when I'm working with her, then sees something new or some shadow and spooks. This is fine on the ground but I don't want to deal with it in the cart.

She is good ground driving- I suspect someone did drive her many years ago (because she knows so much), then she was a broodmare and a pet for the past ten years at least. She has so much training- ground ties, lunges, bows, backs ups, follows you without a lead rope, etc.

So it is a dilemma. I have another driving horse. After seeing his personality, I realize that he is the kind of driving horse that suits me-- he has a big heart and a lot of go but has a steady personality and knows his job with no drama. He is uncomplicated to drive- no games. I don't know that I want to drive a spooky horse and be on alert all the time. I drive to relieve stress not get more!

So I don't know if I should continue to work towards hitching her, give up and keep her as an expensive pet (the kids love to work with her) or find her a new home and get a different horse.

I am still not sure if I can despook this little mare enough to drive. She is smart, sensitive, eager to please and sweet but every morning I come in the fence to clean her paddock and jumps straight up in the air as if she's never seen me before, trots off then comes back to eat. She will follow me around like a dog, does tricks, but when I pop in I become a big scary thing. Even after I say her name as I pop in.
Have you had her eyesight checked? Of course, even if there is something wrong there, it's an expensive fix and a lifelong production with eyedrops, from what my vet said.

I've sacked her out with tarps, a feedbag, plastic bags, ropes. She will go forward and back over a tarp. She is good when I'm working with her, then sees something new or some shadow and spooks. This is fine on the ground but I don't want to deal with it in the cart.

She is good ground driving- I suspect someone did drive her many years ago (because she knows so much), then she was a broodmare and a pet for the past ten years at least. She has so much training- ground ties, lunges, bows, backs ups, follows you without a lead rope, etc.

So it is a dilemma. I have another driving horse. After seeing his personality, I realize that he is the kind of driving horse that suits me-- he has a big heart and a lot of go but has a steady personality and knows his job with no drama. He is uncomplicated to drive- no games. I don't know that I want to drive a spooky horse and be on alert all the time. I drive to relieve stress not get more!

So I don't know if I should continue to work towards hitching her, give up and keep her as an expensive pet (the kids love to work with her) or find her a new home and get a different horse.

This is up to you. It depends on your goals and expendable income. I had a gelding that was probably going to drive, but he would colic at the drop of a hat. It got cold, he'd colic, it would be hot, he'd colic. I figured if he can't even handle a change in the weather, I wasn't going to try to stress him out at a show! I gave him to a nice lady that didn't have any show plans. This way, I could concentrate more on my horses that were going to be successful and competitive.

How long have you had the mare? If it is less than a year, I would consider continuing to work with her. Some horses need that long to establish trust in their handlers. If it is more than that, you might need a second opinion. Do you have a professional in your area that might be able to tell whether your mare will come around? Some never will. We had a Saddlebred that couldn't even handle being line-driven. She would bolt from the flapping lines. We gave up with her. If I knew then what I know now, I would have went back and worked on establishing who was the boss. She was always a bit pushy and self-centered. She would do what you wanted, but only under her terms. (Is it mares? Do we need to have a thread on working with mares? I would be interested in hearing others secrets in establishing heirarchy with mares...
default_smile.png
)

My husband told me early in my current gelding's training, "That horse will never drive...". That was like nails on a chalkboard for me! And HUGE motivation. I didn't bring this horse in my barn for nothing! I don't think that he was a solid driving horse until last year, and he has been driving for four yrs. He was flaky and spooky. Heck, yesterday he even looked at the salt block I put in the paddock like it was going to eat him! But he is to the point that what Mom says, he does, because Mom says. He might still look at something funny, but a low "Quit" and he knocks it off. Granted, I have been working with "English" type horses and rode Saddle Seat since I was ten, so I am used to that style of animal. I would rather deal with a flaky animal than horses that are stoic, stubborn, argumentative, self-centered, or mean.

What are your long-term plans? Do you need another driving horse, or are these your only two horses? Do you intend on showing, or are they just for fun? Do you want to have horses for both you and your kids to drive? These questions might help you figure out what step to take next.

Myrna

Thanks for the ideas, Myrna. Yes we need a thread on working with mares
default_laugh.png
. I only had geldings before this. Big, lazy geldings.

The vet checked her out, and I think her eyes are fine. But next vet visit I could have that done again.

I am not sure of my goals. I am new to minis, been driving for one year. And I have had her for six months. So it may be too early to give up. She is a cool horse but I'd call her a 7 on temperament- dramatic and prancy. I had to establish my leadership and earn her trust- which was a fine line.

I have a small property so I would like every horse to have a job. A horse without a job will get bored since I don't have a lot of acreage. So my goal is to have every able bodied horse I own with some sort of job...otherwise I feel bad for them. If I can't drive her, and she is too small to ride I'm afraid she'd end up a pasture ornament.

I too like a horse with lots of energy, but there is a huge difference between positive and negative energies.

Some horses, (and I have seen them of any/all breeds) that will never make a safe driving horse, no matter how much time you spend with them trying to make them so.

I couple of years ago I sent a client's horse back to them unfinished because I did not feel he would ever make a trustworthy, safe, or sane driving horse. I am very slow and steady in my methods, never rush a horse's training, and have made some very fine driving horses, of both large and small breeds...but I knew I had met my match in this little guy.

He was so sweet and willing...to a point, but he would decide to blow his brain at nothing, at any time, for any/no reason...and when he did, he had absolutely NO caution for himself, but would run "blind"...hurting himself and anything in his path. In my honest opinion, a horse that will run blindly with no thoughts of self-preservation is a dangerous animal, and has no place in harness. I discussed this with the owner, and said that I wouldn't feel offended if they wanted to try another trainer...but she agreed with my decision, and he is now used in-hand by her grand kids.

There is a wonderful discussion of the driving horse and its relationship to the driver, written by Heike Bean....author of Logical Approach to Carriage Driving.

Go to her website: www.heikebean.com and check out the driving article called "Driving from the ground up." It's about 30 pages of her insights into the horse, the driver and how we communicate together to build trust, set a solid foundation of trust, and move forward together to the sport of driving!

Enjoy!

Cindy

I am not sure of my goals. I am new to minis, been driving for one year. And I have had her for six months. So it may be too early to give up. She is a cool horse but I'd call her a 7 on temperament- dramatic and prancy. I had to establish my leadership and earn her trust- which was a fine line.
Only 6 months... I'd give her more time to bond with you and get used to your place and routine.

I have a broodmare; I bought her from a place with lots of mares (so little human contact, except for vaccinations, farrier and little more - and she'd been through a couple homes since her breeder), brought her home to my small herd (5 at the time, she made 6) and while somewhere in her past someone trained her well for groundwork (halter manners are impeccable), she hadn't been handled in some time, so didn't go for any fussing and didn't really care if I was around or not. After at least a year, probably closer to 18 months, she started to come around and look forward to my coming to the paddock and no longer ran from the halter. She's still not overly fond of fussing, but likes people around her, like a good grooming and a good scratch.

I guess what I'm saying is, just give her more time before you decide she's not going to work out. Oh, and they usually don't mind if they don't have a job, most would prefer to be pasture puffs. [yes, I know some like a job, but there are many that are perfectly happy being pasture puffs.]

I have a gelding that nots exactly a spooky horse to the point of bolting, hes just a very extroverted personality and wants to watch and see everything, but he also believes that if he doesnt desicde its safe of I show him its ok, its time to get away.

I trained him myself and I took a total of 8-9 on ground training. This was so I could slowly introduce him to the parts of driving, but also so that I could spend time getting him use to scary things in different situations (ie with blinkers, with shafts, etc) Now remember, when you are doing this, your not trying to despook her for every situation, but teach the horse, and yourself, how to safely deal with "scary" situations. You purposely put them in a situation where they will proably freak, but deal with it.

Example, near the end of my geldings training, I asked a friend of mine to come from behind on his dirtbike and my gelding did react, but I knew how to deal with it, and by the 3rd time he didn't even flinch.

I would say try starting your mare, but take it slow, let her determine the rate, and see where it takes you. There was a point where I thought my gelding would never drive, but after alot of time I felt comfortable to hitch him and in 3 months in the cart he never "blew up" with me.

Best of luck!

Thanks, everyone. I won't give up yet. She is becoming very bonded to me from all the groundwork and hopefully building trust.

Paige, that is inspiring that you were able to work through the stage with your gelding where you thought he wouldn't drive.

Cindy, I love Heike Bean's article on her website. Thank you. I put her book on hold at the library.

ETA- after last night's ground driving spookfest, I am not sure she will ever be consistent enough...I will keep trying but am not going to drive her if she stays like this because she is too reactive. She is great for in hand trail class and tricks, so that may be her future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back