Pedigrees In Miniatures.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

How Important is Pedigree To You?! I am no Miniature Breeder as I only own One Miniature And Show. Woudl You Buy a stallion with nice conformation and stnning colour or movement if he was hardshipped?! How Important to you place pedigree!? I know it is very popular in Large horse breeds Ive been with minis for 4 years now but Pedigree isnt something really important to me. Just wanted your opinions Start a Topic.
default_yes.gif
:

Pedigrees are very important to me in our breeding program, however, a lack of known pedigree would not preclude my buying a horse.

Hello Everyone!

How Important is Pedigree To You?! I am no Miniature Breeder as I only own One Miniature And Show. Woudl You Buy a stallion with nice conformation and stnning colour or movement if he was hardshipped?! How Important to you place pedigree!? I know it is very popular in Large horse breeds Ive been with minis for 4 years now but Pedigree isnt something really important to me. Just wanted your opinions Start a Topic.
default_yes.gif
:
I don't have lots of experience raising minis, but lots in raising Poms. If you are planning on having a breeding program I feel pedigrees are very important! Usually animals that have similar type and bloodlines will produce more consistency of characteristics in their offspring than those that have a Heinz 57 variety pedigree.

If I did not intend to breed ,I probably wouldn't find a pedigree as important.

Dianne Kieffer

heartlandpomeranians.com

I've always been a believer in buying a good horse not good papers. Conformation and disposition are my first two concerns. I think that papers are more important on a breeding stallion. My most valuable mare was hardshipped into everything! She has wonderful conformation a gorgeous trot and color to die for, top it off with a disposition that is sweet and easy going. She produces gorgeous colorful foals every year. She's the perfect package even if her papers aren't.

We are a small breeding farm & pedigrees are very important to us.
default_yes.gif
: Since we raise 4 to 5 foals a year

and want to sell them to good homes we want to raise what people know & will buy. We carefully choose our herd according to their quality, color & pedigree. We raise pintos. cjmm

What a horses sire, dam, grandsires, grandams ets.... look like is extremely important. It can really help when trying to guess what foals will look like by the horse, and tell you how you can expect the horse to mature. If you are looking at pedigrees for the right reasons, to know what specific traits your horse has in its background, then they are extremely valuable. You can trace the horses strong conformational qualities and weaknesses and use and correct them.

The mistake many many people make when they jump on the Pedigree bandwagon is they look at it as a short cut, or marketing tool only. So and so has too be good, just look at his papers. Even if you have done some research and like the appearance of their famous bloodline, you need to know why you like them. Just knowing their show record or that they have a really showy attitude is not enough. What is this bloodline known for?? A deep hip, great balance, good heads? Do they have flaws that are difficult to fix? Short necks, long backs, low tail sets? The real benefit is going to come when you can see and use this information to selectively breed them.

Well for me pedigrees count ONLY when the horse(s) in the pedigree are consistent in what they produce. IMO there are a few well known lines that are consistent not always positive things but even that can be helpful. However the percentage goes down so much by the time you get to grandsire and great grandsire that it really doesnt play a huge part in my own decision making

NOW with AMHA papers are more important, it still has to be a good horse, the papers are secondary to that.

I hope that AMHR does eventually also go with DNA, it will help with honesty.

In the last year I've been contacted by someone that has a horse that is supposed to be out of one of my stallions (bred long before I bought the stud) The horse is a homozygous black that greyed, my stallion is red, so there's no way thats his offspring.

While looking into this I also was looking at a stallion that I'd admired for a long time, in really looking at him I just KNOW he's out of my stallion, yet he's listed as out of a black based grey horse that I'm pretty sure is homozygous black, lol. The horses were all at a farm that was pretty well known for papering them as they saw fit.

So it's the horse first, then the papers :bgrin

krisp

Pedigrees are an important tool in our breeding program and I do believe they'll be much more important in the future (speaking of AMHA) as all the breeding stock is PQ tested in the future. Sure they'll be cheaters, but in general you'll know what is on their papers is what it says it is!

As to your question, [/i]would I buy a stalllion with nice conformation and stnning colour or movement if he was hardshipped?

Possibly if he had great conformation, totally knocked my socks off, and I thought would work in our breeding program, I might be willing to try him. The ultimate proof of a stallions worth is his get anyway, so to me any stallion is only as good as what he's putting on the ground.

To me, the pedigree is the icing on the cake if the horse is himself / herself what I like. I would put a higher importance on the bloodlines of a stallion than of a mare because ONE stallion can be 50% of any breeding program even if you have a lot of mares. You will, or could, have many foals by a single stallion each year. Since there are a lot of nice horses for sale if you look, I would look at the fact that he's hardshipped as a negative, but if he is superior, not a necessarily a deal breaker.

I look at it this way: If the horse is awesome, you don't need to tell someone why as they will see it themselves. If what makes a horse "great" is that he's a son of ________, how great is that really? If you have to tell someone why a horse is fabulous, he is not fabulous. The bloodlines are important, but only if the horse is physically a good example already.

bloodlines are pretty important here. certain bloodlines are potent and reliable for certain characteristics both good and bad. So in order to breed my goal i have to know that i am pairing up the right stallion with the right mare.

I wouldnt not buy a horse with no pedigree but for sure it helps in the quest of breeding

I think pedigree is important, but pre-potency is even more important. If the horse does not produce those positive qualities that that particular bloodline is known for, pedigree doesn't mean much to me. For me, pedigree is a good tool to help find horses with the characteristics that I'm looking for.

As far as buying a hardshipped stallion, I'd have to say maybe
default_smile.png
...would depend on alot of other factors other than if he was hardshiped or not.

[SIZE=14pt]If you switch you statement to Stunning Conformation and movement and good color I would say yes I would. I dont trust most pedigrees anyway.... I buy what I see generally unless I know the breeder well. I have a gorgeous mare that I hardshipped two years ago and people who have seen her have wanted to pay me more for her than the extended pedigreed babies I have had but she is not for sale..... In some respects a trusted pedigree of a prepotent sire is the best promise of reproducing the same but is not the only think I look for.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I agree with lots of what's been said about pedigree.

I am also a small farm and want to do the best by my horses that I possibly can.

I need to KNOW for certain who the parents are, and see them in person where possible, both for me to help understand what I'm seeing in the horse themselves (such as is that angulation of the hind legs hereditary or bad farriery, etc. just for example).

Then I know better how to plan the breedings for future generations.

A good example of this was my buckskin pinto mare, now deceased. I knew her pedigree and by finding photos of her sire, I could see what traits came from where, and which were more uniquely hers.

I went to see her prospective sire, and his sire, and even his dam. I knew then that my choice of stallions for her was very wise in what I could physically see (this was done w/the help of PQ, as I felt 100% sure these horses were indeed who they were claimed to be).

I got a very beautiful foal out of the two horses, in fact my best broodmare.

Like was mentioned, if the horse themself is not spectacular, then there's not a lot of reason to keep looking, but if they are and then you have a great pedigree behind them, with proven production, it's icing that is worth a lot when backed up by dna testing particularly.

Liz M.

To me, pedigree CAN be very important, however, I will not pass up a horse just because I don't know any names in their pedigree. What I like to do is get a copy of the horses pedigree, look up photo's of the horses especially immediate family (parents & grandparents) anything past them to me doesn't reflect on the horse itself. If I like the conformation of the horse and it's parents, i'd be very interested! If the grandparents also have great conformation, even better!

But this is coming from a showing/breeding point of view...also because of breeding I look for appaloosa, try to rule out pinto because I don't want a lot of that in my program so keep my eyes open for any pinto in their immediate family and how many pinto's are in the first 3-5 generations of their pedigree...pinto can travel a long ways through family lol! Color is truly last on my list.

Pedigree is importend to me I like to know whats behind my horse. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a horse with unknown heritage.

Anita

Little Texas Miniature Horses

Sulphur Springs TX

Latest posts

Back