Pattern for Foal Blankets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill Haven Farms

Reaction score
I tried to search the forum for a previous post...but I can't find it. I am wanting to make a couple foal sized blankets. Does anyone have a pattern or suggestions for a pattern to use? Thanks in advance

I used to have a pattern that I took from a purchased foal blanket but I can't find it. This winter I used fleece dog blankets that worked very well. This year is my first winter foal and up until now have used the dog blankets. You can get them at Dover Saddlery. They sell for $9.99 during their sales. We have two different sizes, a large and x large and both fit great! Good Luck

Meadow

Meadowbrook Miniatures

I have bought dog blanket patterns in large, x-l sizes from McCall's, Simplicity. Just compare measurements to a foal.

Suitability has a blanket pattern that goes all the way down to dog size. I think it was $10.

Click on my web site and I have a quilt page I drew a pattern on newspaper made the fleece double thickness turned it inside out , added velcro and have some that have lasted me over 10 years. Hope this helps you some. Click on were it says Filipowicz Farm that will take you to our web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to think of it, foal blankets really are not that hard. A few years back we had an EMU that the goat ate all her feathers so she was quite bald. I went out with a tape measure and took a few measurements and came in and drew it on a paper sack. this was a bit tricky because she needed a very small neck opening and from her neck to her tail she had a hump in the middle of her back that had to be accounted for. My first ruff draft didn't work. I was making the outer shell out of twill with a lining of polar fleece. I had just made the outer shell and tried it on her. I came back in. Made it a bit bigger and actually used the outer shell as the pattern for the lining. She loved her blanket but did enjoy the days she didn't wear it. It was really hard to part with her blanket when she passed. Anyway, you measure length front to back. How large you need the neck opening. Then you need to know the drop from the shoulder and top of the butt down the side. Easy as pie.

Latest posts

Back