Parents- Whats your favorite diaper?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
Ok so this sounds weird but I am starting( ok have always been) shopping for Emma. For xmas we got clothes and diapers for her. I have decided since diapers are a huge part of a baby, that when I go shopping from now on if I have any spare money I would get some diapers. Can never have to many right???

So what is your favorite brand and why? Any other helpful tips? We already got her a snow suit for next year. Got to love clearances and it was 18 down from 60. PInk with a leopard scarf, mittens and booties.

With four children I have found that babies are built differently and each type has a diaper that works better. I had a thin baby and Pampers were by far the best and then a chubbier baby Huggies were supreme!!!! Loves worked well on my itty bitty girl. And my boy was also a Pampers baby. It is the cut of the diaper and the elastic. Dryness goes along with how they fit the baby. So, for my chubby girl, she needed Huggies because the elastic was shpaed better for her allowing her more dryness. Works the same with all of them, better shape for the baby, more dryness.

I had a boy and LUVs worked awesome for him. Its seemed any off brand he would pee right through. I think I remember someone saying LUVs for boys, Huggies for girls because they are built different.

Right. Different brands fit differently.

Huggies for Michael and Luvs for Daniel.
default_wub.png

Pull ups for both for potty training first week am and pm.

We use(used) Pampers for both our children. Our youngest is still using them.

We use Pampers wipes as well as Huggies wipes(Huggies are thicker).

With Pampers..... there are codes inside each box of diapers(wipes too) on the plastic bags they are stored in for points that you enter into the Pampers rewards program. I've gotten all kinds of things for the kids.... sometimes they have diapers available that you can redeem with your points. Sometimes the packages have coupons inside of them as well.

Be careful not too buy too many tiny diapers... my son came out HUGE... he was in the next size up within a very short time.

Other tips on other products...

We used advent bottles. Advent bottle warmer. We used Carnation Goodstart formula for both kids....If you have a Target near you.... go to the baby section and look on the end of each aisle. Sometimes they will have overstocked clearance items... We've gotten the really large(they had an extra 20") formulas for less that what the smaller cans went for. Same thing with wipes and diapers.

Recently I bought baby clothes...Ralph Lauren, Gap, Children's place,etc. on Ebay.... Some were new...... I paid nearly nothing for these clothes.... That was a great deal since they grow out of these clothes so fast... good tip... if you can keep them in good condition you can turn around and sell them again...... good thing to remember... if you are going to have another child... keep all the clothes, toys,etc.... We did that and I'm so glad we did. We didn't have to buy too much of anything.
default_smile.png

Something I regret not doing was taking a video of my babies once they were born. I have lots of pictures(try and take lots of pictures... they grow so fast...).

If you use pacifiers make sure you have extras....

teething medicine...... baby orajel and there are teething tablets that Walmart has that are really great as well.

We washed all our babies clothes in dreft. I'm glad we did. Both of them have very sensitive(inherited) skin. We used that for the first year.

There is sooo many more that I just can't think up right now.... but these are some little things that made our lives a little bit easier.

Congratulations again. The big day will be here before you know it.

Kim

Gas drops were a must for us. My son coliced a lot! And those bottles with liners are awesome! Then when they are done, all you have to do is wash the nipple and move on. So much easier on the go. We kept formula and bottled water in the diaper bag and it was always handy on the go.

A Boppy Pillow was a must for me! It was awesome in breast feeding (I did that for the first 3 months, then switched to formula so I could have a bit of a life). Then when they got older, great for sitting them until they could sit up themselves.

Ditto on waiting on diapers. Buy one pack of premies. Then after they are born, you can decide. My son wore premie diapers for 2 months, but grew pretty fast after that.

I know it sounds gross, but on those nights where your child is so constipated that they are so fussy, stick a thermometer up their butt. It'll help them poop and relieve their tummies. We had to do suppositories a couple times (like 1/2 tablet) when my son was really bad. But it'll get them comfortable and you back in bed.
default_wacko.png

It's been 10 years, but as I recall I preferred either Luvs or Huggies for diapers. Used the "no-name" diapers, but would have to change them twice as fast. Our daughter fit the premie size for a couple of months......longer than I expected, after getting home from the hospital.

I always used the unscented, non-alcohol wipes. I've also used the unscented, etc detergent for washing clothes.

You should receive some wonderful clothes from family and friends initially. But I found "onsies" to be great and the one piece jammies with feet were priceless. Both aren't very expensive. I also shopped on E-Bay for lightly used kids clothes for several years. (Have also SOLD clothes that way.)

Both of my children have sensitive skin. The only diaper that wouldn't cause a reaction was Huggies.

I really preferred Costco's brand of diapers, and their brand of formula, it was cheaper and came in a two pack. When I moved I switched to the Good Start Formula as we didn't have a Costco at that time and the Nestle/Stouffer's thrift/clearance store is right around the corner where I got the formula super cheap.

I prefer Kmart's off brand of pull ups, I can't stand the Velcro sides too easy of access I am only using those at night now.

Don't buy more than one pack of the super small size they outgrow them too quickly unless you have a premiee baby. I found when they start leaking through the diaper they need the next size up, usually the weights overlap a bit. Both of my kids were between 7 and 8 lbs at birth.

Karen

Thanks for the added tips.

The diapers we got were 12-18 pounds and will get a variety. NOt sure how big she will be. MOm is 5'3 and as normal you never reveal a females weight, but she has only gained 4 pounds and is almost 7 months. Dad is either 6'1 or 6'3 (cant remember) and is only 160 pounds.

We have been hitting the clearance racks right now, but have also gotten alot of hand me downs, and gotten some used stuff from a giant " mothers of muli" sale they do twice a year here.

We also plan to breast feed for as long as possible, and our own baby food with human food.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also plan to breast feed for as long as possible, and our own baby food with human food.
Can I high five you now?
default_saludando.gif
Please remember that breastfeeding *can* be tough getting started. For some people it's easy, for some it's not, but it is so, so worth it!!! I'm a HUGE breastfeeding advocate and am available 24/7 if you need advice, encouragement. Co-sleeping and learning to nurse laying down are by FAR the 2 ways too make nursing easier for everyone.

La Leche League and kellymom.com (awesome site) have great information. Remember that breastfed babies should never put put on any schedule, they should eat as long and as often as they want. Breastmilk is digested in much less time than formula, so the baby needs to eat more often
default_smile.png
A sling for carrying can make the early, frequent feeding days much easier too.

By the way, I used Parent's Choice (Wal-mart brand) diapers for both of mine. Yes, Pampers fit a little better, but breastfed babies poo everytime they eat and that's a lot of diapers every day!

High-five from me too for Lori breast feeding and you guys making your own baby food! As for the diapers, like SampleMM, both of my boys have been VERY sensitive to everything but Huggies. The nice thing about Huggies is that you get $1 & $1.50 coupons in the packages!

Also wanted to say, sign up for the Huggies, Pampers, Luvs and any other websites... It wouldn't hurt to sign up on the formula websites either. I am still breast feeding my youngest who is 14 months old, BUT those sample cans of formula that the companies send out have come in handy when I've either been really sick or when I just can't keep up with Bryce's breast feeding demands... The sample cans work great for a quick supplemental bottle if needed!

When it comes to clothes and other must need items, you might also want to try to find a Once Upon a Child in your area. Does Lori have a boppy pillow yet? If not, she'll want one for breast feeding!
default_smile.png
HTH!

Just be careful making your own food. Make sure everything is boiled, sterile and clean. As a food microbiologist, I'm always paranoid. So we fed my son baby food from jars. It wasn't very expensive as we bought the "tupperware" style baby food. So it came with a lid we could put back on a refridgerate. My son quit eating baby food on his own pretty quick as his teeth started coming in at 5 months. So he had a full set of teeth by the time he was one and could handle our food chopped up tiny.

NO she dosent have any pillows. I tried getting her a better pillow for at night but she didnt want it. She complaines about not being able to sleep so thought if I got her one she would let me sleep!

She breast fed the last one so not to worried there, also made his own food where possible. She was only able to breast feed last time for 2 months so we are hopeing it will last longer this time.

Both times I had every pillow in the house around me. Biggest problem I had was I found it hot. Even in the middle of winter I was too hot to sleep and would get up and sleep on the coutch and watch whatever was on... No pillow could have helped.

Bopster pillows are great. I took mine into hospital with me second time round. I wouldn't be without it. I did have to buy another as there is only 15 mths between my boys and my older son still uses his pillow when getting ready for bed or having a bottle now. Either way it is such a great thing to have when you are feeding allows you to have your hands free. Also like Laura mentioned feeding laying down is great. Both times I had a section and found it hard to hold bubs the first days. I still feed at 6am in bed then put Casey back in his basinette for an hour or so. The other thing i got for our bed room was a touch lamp with 3 levels of light. Its brilliant.. no searching round in the dark...

The best brand are whatevers on special. Get a selection and find your perfered brand yoursel. With each of my boys I have brought a pack here and there of the varrious brands and put them away. You definately can't have enough nappies EVER.. I will say I would stock pile huggies for at night when they were on special and then use the cheaper nappies during the day which ofter were on special more frequently.. You will find even the best nappy will leak on a bad day... and don't be scared of trying some of the cheeper brands...

Rather than buy diapers in advance, the best suggestion that was given to me was to purchase gift cards to the store where you plan to buy the diapers. The reason for that is because those little ones grow so fast and change diaper sizes so quickly, you'll end up with packs of diapers you'll never use.

Another option is to make sure you tape the receipt to each box of diapers you buy in advance. That way you can return them if you need.

When my child was young, I loved the pampers, but then as he got older we made the switch to Huggies. So it really just depends on the child, I think!

I agree that breast feeding is the best if it can be done. I also, was only able to breast feed for about 8 weeks with both of my children. I'm glad I was able to do that much, but sometimes it's just not an option for some women.

I forgot about the gas drops. Couldn't live without them.

I also, loved the boppy and the BUMBA seat.

Oh and Barnbum(Karla) has an awesome book she wrote for Mom's to read....

Diapers- they only wear the smallest size for a couple weeks to a month, so they move into the next size quickly..Watch Huggies supreme, when they are wet these little silicone balls come out, and Huggies supreme kinda have a big package in the front when they get wet, they dont seem as tight on their back above their butts either-ok HUggies Supreme is not my fav!

kudos on her breast feeding-I so support it! It is so good for the baby and such a bond for Mom and the baby. She can pump so you can feed the baby a bottle too for your Mom bonding.

If she has issues with her milk, (not enough, or not satisfying) she can take Brewers Yeast (vitamin) which will give her PLENTY of milk!!

I used Luvs with both my boy and girl-worked well for us.

Milicon gas drops are a MUST!

Baby gowns are really nice for them to wear at night so when you all get up you arent messing with a bunch of snaps on a sleeper, you just lift the gown up and change their bottom and you are quickly finished! I used them with my boy and girl when they were really little-GREAT!

Have lots of spit towels-the cloth diapers works best for spit towels

Use bibs as much as possible-they stain their little outfits, and even if you wash them and they look clean, if you store them , you can see the stain, when you get them out of storage...

Buy at garage sales-baby clothes are in such good shape , they barely use them, so you can get some great deals.

Good luck-I cant wait to see your baby girl when the time comes-Babies are Gods gift of pure heaven to us here on earth..

Missy

For our daughter what worked best for her were Pampers or Luv. Huggies just never held her big loads and flooded everwhere. Now that she can only wear pull ups though we get the walmart brand and those do good with her. Her big butt needs a 4T-5t pull up and has been that way for awhile lol.

Just to add a little to the breastfeeding topic, it's best to not pump or use bottles at all before at least 6 weeks. Many women experience a severe drop in supply if baby is not at the breast for each feeding and nipple confusion is a real threat. Babies also become more efficient nursers as they grow, so a 2 month old baby may nurse for less time, but still be receiving plenty of milk.

Also, fussiness and greatly increased nursing at around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and so on is normal. Those are optimum growth spurt times and it's normal for them to want to be at the breast all day for a day or two. It's best to just relax, let someone else worry about chores and nurse, nurse, nurse
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back