Panacur Dewormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie12

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of having to worm with panacur again in 14 days to kill the new eggs that hatch. We always did this in Quarter horse and always with the show dogs. We didn't do it with Ivermectin and I don't know if it because the type of wormer Panacur is it doesn't kill everything and some eggs rehatch in 14 days.

The life cycle of most worms is ten days BUT, I would never use Fenbendazole (Panacur) as a wormer on it's own, only ever as the five day dose that removes encysted small strongyles, or as a first wormer for a foal. It is far too mild to use as part of a rotation- it misses an awful lot.

The life cycle of most worms is ten days BUT, I would never use Fenbendazole (Panacur) as a wormer on it's own, only ever as the five day dose that removes encysted small strongyles, or as a first wormer for a foal. It is far too mild to use as part of a rotation- it misses an awful lot.
Rabbit, Is Panacur as good as any other 5 day treatment then?? And if so, when would you give it?? Also, what age would you give it to a foal??? Thanks

Fenbendazole is the only wormer I have ever heard of to do a five day course with.

It treats specifically encysted small strongyles (in the five day course, but is effective against roundworms (It is also used in cats and dogs)

In Europe we give it April and October (and I also worm with Praziquantel for Tapes at these times)So my Spring routine will be

Fenbendazole (Panacur/Safeguard or generic cattle drench) five day course at recommended dose for area.

Ten days later Ivermectin based wormer.

Ten days later Praziquantel (or you can dose with a combo at the first ten day mark, I juts prefer to do it separately)

This just about clears out everything and allows them to go into Spring free of worms.

At this time I also move the mares onto the Spring pasture, which has rested all winter, and bring in the Show horses.

I realise not everyone can do this, but a good harrowing at this time, plus a very good sweeping or pick up of poo, will help no end.

I worm my foals with Fenbendazole at ten days- but I do not worm the mare on day of foaling, I worm routinely and do not break the cycle.

The first two wormings of foals I will use Fenbendazole, then I switch to Ivermectin if the foal is big and strong.

That sound like an excellent worming program...thank you.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back