Pacific smart cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody ever uses one of these for the breed shows? I know its not the "norm", but I was just curious. If so, have you ever gotten any negative comments on using it for that purpose?

I believe there's some folks up in the Pacific NW, who use theirs for breed shows, with good results and no negativity--and I imagine they aren't the only ones! Hopefully, they'll see or hear about your inquiry and respond!

I also believe there is a 'revolution coming', and that more of the Pacifics and other 'all-around' type carts will be seen in the breed ring as time goes by. If/when the judges are genuinely well-educated in the wider aspects of driving, there should be no reason why such carts should not be well-received, certainly in the Country and 'new Western Pleasure' driving classes, IMO, or for a Tandem multiple, for instance.

I was one who early on felt sure that CDE would shortly be attracting more and more VSEs, and VOILA! it has, and is, happening!!

Margo

I am curious to see anybody else's thoughts on this, don't be shy........

I have a smart cart and love it. I use it trail driving and for CDEs. It is also adaptable to be switched over to a pairs cart, which is what I am doing now to drive both my girls as pairs in CDEs..

It isn't any heavier than other carts 115 lb..but I like the airbag suspension, the shafts are adjustable, the seat is adjustable, the floor is adjustable, the shaft height is adjustable so that it can fit a mini from 30 to 36 or 38 I believe...It is just a great all around cart in my opinion. AND it cleans up and looks brand new after the muddiest trial drives...

We have 2 Smart Carts; so far we haven't shown with them in breed shows, but I do intend to do so with both our Minis and Shetlands. They're perfectly acceptable in CP and the western driving. They aren't actually illegal in open pleasure driving & I would use mine for such except that with the smart cart you really need breeching, and some judges do frown upon breeching in the open pleasure.

I have no doubt that there are some judges who won't like to see a smart cart in the breed ring but I know there are some that don't mind seeing the cart out there at all (I've asked several)--so, I will be using it to show with. If I don't place sometimes because of the cart, oh well, it's still fun to be out there showing off a good moving horse and a fancy little cart that I think is the best cart going!!
default_biggrin.png

Oregon_Gold_SC.jpg

This was taken at the Oregon Gold Show. I have used the Smart Cart at several other shows in Washington also. I believe there are more photos in the files of the show photographer. You could check them out on their Web page.

Ron

I would be interested to know why you have to have breeching with the smart cart.???

Another poster on this thread shows his mini in a Smart Cart (see photo on his post). He does not have breeching on the horse. Obviously he is doing well as he has two nice blue ribbons on the front of the cart.
default_biggrin.png

The horse and cart presentaition look very nice.

I choose to drive the smart cart only with breeching because I personally am not confident that the wrap straps will hold good enough to stop the cart from running up on the horse--perhaps they do, but it's not something that I choose to try. There are no tug stops on the shafts, and if I'm using my wrap straps as holdbacks I want to have something there that I can count on not slipping past them and allowing the cart to run up. I've thought it would work to wrap that part of the shafts with some rubber wrap--that would hold the wrap straps more securely--but I haven't done that yet. Until I do, I will be using breeching with mine.

To each his own; if someone else is comfortable using only the wrap straps on the metal shafts & it works for him, that's great. Given the way my luck runs, it wouldn't work the same for me
default_laugh.png
and I prefer to not end up telling myself "I told you so" when I'm picking up the pieces from a wreck!

To each his own; if someone else is comfortable using only the wrap straps on the metal shafts & it works for him, that's great.

The reason that it works for us in the show ring is because we use a half hitch on our wrap straps which cinches the shaft over the shaft loop. We then put a second wrap in front of the shaft loop. We do this whether we are driving a Jerold show cart or the Smart Cart. If you look at the picture, you will also see a small leather strap attached to the footman's loop which carries the trace and keeps it out of the horses hind feet, should he decide to be naughty...He isn't, but it pays to be prepared.

We would never go out on the trails or in the pasture hitched this way. It works because in the show ring, the going is flat and manicured, and we aren't out there for hours on end. At home, and at CDEs, we use an open shaft loop and then the breeching is mandatory.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought perhaps you had it wrapped something like that if you didn't have rubber wrap on the shaft itself. I'd be more comfortable using it that way with a well seasoned horse. For taking some out in the ring in their first year of showing--or their first show--I'm not as confident of wrapping that way & counting on it. Like I said, the way my luck goes...if something can go wrong it surely will.
default_wacko.png
Especially this year.

I choose to drive the smart cart only with breeching because I personally am not confident that the wrap straps will hold good enough to stop the cart from running up on the horse--perhaps they do, but it's not something that I choose to try. There are no tug stops on the shafts[snip]
Breeching fan here as well.
default_saludando.gif
...but, just to add (not to argue), adding tug stops to most any cart is a very easy project if you own a handheld drill. I recently added tug stops to my new show cart (with solid wood shafts) as well as to my new easy entry cart (with hollow metal shafts). I use breeching at home, but when I start showing I will probably show sans breeching in most classes as that seems to be a "trend". I will feel much better about it with tug stops on my cart(s).

I have been scouring the internet and (it may be old info, IDK) but I have read that the Smart Cart is not always the best choice for the under 34" mini, better suited for the B size, any thoughts on this?

Ozark sell pairs of shaft stops in both brass and chrome. All you need is a measuring tape, drill, and a screw driver to install. A good honey do weekend project. Not hard.

If you dont want to do it that way, last weekend my DH installed stops on my cart with a wire feed welder. We went to the hardware store, found something that looks perfect and welded it for me. Looks professional and is just what I needed.

Since I have neither a welder nor a drill with enough power to drill into metal (I use mine for putting screws in the metal roofing on the sheds I've built but it doesn't work worth a darn for actual drilling--think I bought the wrong bits), neither option will work for me--and having seen the way some welders can botch a job when they haven't a clue what they're really doing (and most here have surely never seen a set of cart shafts!) I'm not inclined to take it to a pro and try to explain what I want done (otherwise that would have been done by now).

It is rubber wrap or breeching for me.
default_biggrin.png

I have been scouring the internet and (it may be old info, IDK) but I have read that the Smart Cart is not always the best choice for the under 34" mini, better suited for the B size, any thoughts on this?
This is a topic that just keeps rearing its ugly head, but the truth is that the Smart Cart will fit and work with A's as well as B's. We have used ours with horses from 32 to 38 inches. I've seen horses at CDEs that were 29 inches and happily pulling their Smart Carts over the marathon course. I think the reason the cart keeps getting the bad rap is because it feels heavy when lifted, but the cart is so well balanced that it pulls easily, properly fitted to the horse. We have to remember that horses don't pull the way humans do and to judge their pulling power by holding the cart ourselves is to compare apples and oranges. A Jerold show cart fitted with wooden wheels weighs in at about 105 (I know this from a fact finding marathon done here in the PNW). The Smart Cart is 115. Rarely will anyone say that the Jerold is inappropriate for the smaller horse, and ten pounds can be gained or lost by a driver quite easily over the course of a show season.

Ultimately the decision to drive a Smart Cart or anything else is a matter of personal preference. We love ours, but it is always best to seek out someone who has one that you can try. Carts are a little like shoes; comfort is a matter of personal taste and fit.

Al_B's wife Susan drives a refined 33"palomino mare to this cart at carriage events and she does great, plus the overall picture is very balanced. This will be my next cart.

Back