Outdoor Feeding Surface

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crponies

Reaction score
So, I am having problems with my ponies getting recurrent diarrhea. We are in a very sandy area. I have been feeding the some psyllium the last couple months and I have some old conveyor belt I normally put their hay on. I have also put their hay into rubber tubs. The problem is, the hay always ends up on the ground anyhow. I was thinking if I could have a better surface to feed on that might help. The mats we have now they toss around. It would need to be something that can be outside, under shelter but still outside. I am just so tired of the diarrhea and sometimes colic symptoms too. The only thing I can think of besides sand is sometimes the orchard grass hay has more alfalfa in it (which it does currently) and maybe that is a problem also. Any suggestions for me?

I use a sheep/goat "bunk hay/grain feeder" which is a two-part feeder with a hay feeder at the top and a plastic bin underneath that catches all the hay as they eat. Only a few pieces of hay ever make it to the ground. It works great! In our area, you can get this from Tractor Supply (each piece sold separately for about $100 each). Hopefully you can find something similar. I just did a google search on this and found some websites with similar feeders. FYI, I chose the sheep/goat bunk feeder over the horse hay feeder because the sheep/goat has about 3" squares instead of full length slats, and I figured it would take the little piglets a little longer to get the hay out of there
default_wink.png
. As far as the alfalfa, that very well may be the cause of loose stools, but other members who are much more experienced than I should answer that one. Good luck!
default_smile.png

PS, I can't find the picture right now that I thought I had, but if you want to see it, PM me and I'll take a pic for you.

When we lived in Michigan we had that problem also and we used old water troughs, and tubs. They would still have some hay on the ground but not nearly as much and all the chafe stayed inside the dishes!! Our vet was amazed when he checked for sand, I had never treated them with any kind of sand clear!! So it does work. Also the alfalfa should not be an issue, we fed almost straight alfalfa and never had problems!!

Good luck!!

Several of our horses get fed outside under an 18X 12" overhang (divided into sections) that is matted with regular stall mats. This area is right outside of the stalls and does get bedding tracked onto it, which I sweep up. Works great. Of course I do have ONE mini that thinks she should poop on the mats, but the rest are pretty good about keeping the whole area clean.

I have hanging feeders for each individual horse(the cribber has a large water trough as his, because he cannot use it to crib on); I also have a 7' long 'combo' feeder--hay rack above, grain 'bunkers' below...all work well, BUT--I have NEVER seen a feeder that a horse couldn't throw hay out of--so some of it ALWAYS ends up 'on the ground'!

I was fortunate to find out about a 'deal' from Farm Tek several years ago; ordered a bunch of 4'x6', 3/4" thick rubber mats(reasonable price, and NO shipping costs!) I got them to put into my stalls, but got a few extra, and have found them as helpful under their feeders outside.They have a textured upper surface, aren't slick, and the edges aren't likely to curl, like belting. I sweep them off before every feeding. One under each single feeder is good; two are even better.

Nowadays, such mats are more expensive--but compared to the cost of a veterinary emergency, they seem a more reasonable and lasting 'expense'...many local feed supply stores carry them; perhaps you could buy a few at a time untill you have enough. Some of mine have been outside now for about 7-8 years, and are holding up fine.

Margo

I have an old plastic tub that I use. Normally I keep the very heavy stall mats under it. This tub is large as it is actually an old outdoor fish pond. Its low and deep, so even if the dig through the hay little drops. What does drop falls on the heavy mats. It also has a rounded edge, wont hurt their necks and high enough they dont get a leg in.

I was always told that a horse was designed to eat from ground level and thats the best way to feed them.

Here is a pic of the tub.

10-01-630pm020.jpg

We have a decent amount of sand here as well. My horses eat off the ground, I have never had any issues with there poop being abnormal.

Rubber mats! The kind Margot mentioned-- big, heavy, extremely durable. They're only about $50 each, and they last practically forever! I've got them in nearly every paddock!
default_smile.png

Hi Jayne, when I feed hay outside sometimes I throw it in the little blue kiddie pools that I used for summer. You might try that.

The only thing I can think of besides sand is sometimes the orchard grass hay has more alfalfa in it

I agree. I have a couple that are pretty sensitive to very rich hay and will have a bout of runny poop too from time to time. A couple of years ago I had some extremely rich hay that was gorgeous stuff and I had to get a few cheap bales of hay to mix in with it.

Also when feeding phyllium such as sandblast or sandclear products, be very careful not to deviate from the exact directions and check your dosage again.
default_saludando.gif

I have 2 feeders here that the horses never seem to pull the feed out onto the ground. One is (my idea here and I'm still alternately patting myself on the back for my good idea and kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner) a plastic 45gallon barrel with a large hole cut into one side. It is turned upside down and I have pulled one bung so that if it gets any water etc. it can drain(so far that has not been necessary) The bottom of the barrel works as a roof and the top part is a spacious place to put the feed. I leave the salt block in it to so that is not washed into the ground when it rains. The other feeder was given to me and originally made for cattle. I used it for my saddle horses and thought it was too large for my minis but even my 30" geldings are eating out of it now with out problems. This feeder is a big one for feeding several horses together. It is on skids, has a floor space about 4' x 8' and a shingled roof. It is really quite nice to look at and keeps the hay mostly dry as well. The size has them reaching in and they don't grab a mouthful and drag it out to eat it but rather stand with their heads under the roof while they eat I wish i had pictures to post so you could see what I mean. Anyway, I find the barrel is working the same way, the horse just stands with his head inside and eats rather than dragging the hay out first. A bigger opening seems to be the difference.

We also have always used rubber mats and kept them swept with our big horses and now the little ones. Another interesting feeder I discovered was while I was trying to find something to keep my new little "impatient pawer" out of the feeders with his feet. We tried everything including the old wall mounted goat feeders. Those turned into "mane tearer outers!" So I cleaned out and tried the old round metal mineral feeder for cows. It is approximately 24" across and 16 to 18" high. It stopped the pawing, the hay stays in it, I also keep the salt blocks in them, and the ones outside are lightweight enough for even me to turn on the side against the fence during rain. I also have some with a hole or two in the bottom. The horses love them and they are safe and keep all the dirt and little hooves out.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was thinking stall mats but wasn't sure. We don't have TCS around here but I'll see what I can find at the local farm supply places.

Latest posts

Back