Our minis first "Therapeutic" visits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse-A-Holic

Reaction score
I am so excited, just had to share!
happydance.gif

My husband and I took three of our minis to their very first nursing home visit this summer, and they made us SO PROUD.

They acted as if they knew exactly why they were there and how they needed to behave.

So many of the residents are from ranch/farming backgrounds, they just lit up when they saw the horses! One gentleman started whinnying at the minis as we walked into the courtyard he was so excited.

It really warms my heart to be able to share some thing special with them. I just know that if I were to ever be in their place, I would absolutely be in heaven if some one brought me a horse to visit with.

We now plan on making as many visits yet this summer/fall as we can fit in, to different facilities in and around our area.

My next goal is to be able to make indoor visits to those who are bedridden.

So I am now concentrating on stairs, and elevator training, as well as getting them use to confined spaces so that they do not bump into any medical equipment, I.V's, etc. while in rooms.

My hubby even found "tennis shoes" for them to wear so that they do not slip on different floor surfaces.
icon_biggrin.gif

horses0929.jpg

horses0969.jpg

IMG_2547.JPG

Good for you and thanks for sharing! I want to do this with our minis too. Were your minis certified by anyone like the Delta Society or did you just contact the nursing homes and go? Any pointers for those of us considering it?

I would love to do this, too - please share how you went about starting!

We have a little mare who is such a gentle soul. At the county fair this year, every time an elderly person or someone otherwise challenged came by in a wheelchair, I asked their caregiver if they might want to see her up close. When I would open her stall door or bring her out of her stall, she stood so calmly while the person in the wheelchair petted and loved on her. She accepted it so readily and wasn't at all afraid of the chair. I have always wanted to take her to a nursing home for visits!

Bless you for the work you do - it looks like the people had a wonderful time during your visit!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful thing for you both to do with the horses!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how they maneuver indoors. I worried about tubes and stands and feet sticking out. But mine moves very carefully amongst the apparatus. One blind man rubbed his hands all over Dapper Dan's head, nose, and up each ear. He said "yep, it's a horse!"

We go into rooms also and he is very good.

Watch out for clear glass doors; my horse ran into one once.

The nursing home told me they have their own insurance.

Lovely photos!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.For those of you who want to do this just call a facility near you and tell them you would like to come visit.The residents really love visits from the Minis.Members of our club,Delmarva Miniature Horse Club, do several visits every year to various facilities in our state.Our president Nina O'bryan works at a nursing home and another job at a state facility for the chronically ill and members have visited both facilities.You would be amazed at how good the Minis are.They seem to sense people with disabilities and act accordingly.We have even seen our toughest hard to hold roadster Mini walk up to someone in a wheelchair and put his head in their lap.He even let that same older gentleman in the wheelchair lead him around all day.I know your Minis will make you proud of them.They really are amazing creatures with a lot more sense than we give them credit for having.You will have such fun and make so many people smile.Word will get out and you will be invited lots of places.Hooves can be wrapped with Vet wrap to prevent slipping if you can't find tennis shoes.Have fun.Many facilities have a budget for things like this and will give a donation to Chances Mini Horse Rescue if you ask.Never hurts to ask and they might just say yes and help some less fortunate Minis.

Thank you so much for all the nice words.
default_smile.png

Loved hearing about your minis experiences as well! They are just such awesome little creatures aren't they?

It was not difficult at all to get started, I did a little home work first is all. Made a list of facilities in our surrounding areas, and called to see if they were interested, if we needed insurance, inquired about stairs, etc... Then we were off and running!

I work a lot with my minis, ground manners, driving, as well as getting them out to parades and things as well. Being exposed to all kinds of things, I think they are all very well rounded, and have the perfect demeanor's for this kind of thing. I think a good deal of minis do, they just need the opportunity to show it.

I did contact the Delta Society, unfortunately they do not have any "evaluators" in my state.

I encourage any one who is interested to get out there and make it happen. The residents, as well as you and your minis will all benefit from it.

There was one gentleman at our first visit who was severely handicapped and seemed completely withdrawn from the world. Domino gently nuzzled his knees (he was in shorts) and you should have seen his face light up! He just giggled and giggled, it was just amazing to see that. I could go on and on sharing stories like that....

Just makes you feel so good to share that special bond with others, really does, too bad we could not figure out a way to bottle it!

Here are a few photos from another of our visits.....

088.JPG

044.JPG

Couple more....

This little lady was enamored with Domino. She would scootch herself around the patio with the heals of her feet where ever I took him. He was so patient with her, she would flutter her fingers all over his head and face, and then just pull him right on into her.

085.JPG

080.JPG

I am sad that our visits are probably done for the year. Winter is well on its way, and soon we won't be able to trailer in and out of our place..... I am keeping my fingers crossed though that we might be able to make one or two more visits yet.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back