Our first foal..ever!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean A

Reaction score
I took several granddaughters down to feed the horses this morning. We were a bit later than usual. I was showing the girls around, and introducing them to the horses they hadn't met..and I noticed that Michelle looked thinner than she should. LOL

I thought..well, she looked 'dropped' last night, maybe she dropped more. Then I notices the little filly standing on the other side of her. She was still wet and wobbly.

Clover is welcomed by Amelie 7, Olivia 6, Rose 11, Lily 6, and Sami 2. I have never seen happier little girls. Both mom and baby are fine..milk is in, poop and pee i good order..I can't ask for more!

Clover (St Paddy's Day) as best we can tell, is roan with 4 white socks and dark mane and tail. She is lovely, and I am so relieved.

Everyone is spending the night, as Becky looks like she might deliver any minute. There is also a lot of baby looking to be done. Happily, Michelle is relaxed..and tolerated us all in her huge stall. The foal is the softest, sweetest thing I have ever seen..

428191_3501823142333_1174326808_3613251_957859734_n.jpg426198_3501825022380_1174326808_3613252_401733482_n.jpg

I'm SO glad she did well all by herself. Did you dip her stump?
default_smile.png

Congrats on your filly! She does look soft!

Congratulations!!! What a precious baby and the name is fantastic!

Congrats- so glad she arrived ok with no foaling problems!

Well that was a pleasent surprise, saved you from some sleepless nights! Congratulations on a lovely foal, too cute for words!
default_yes.gif

Oh she is just so cute!! Many congratulations - I'm so glad everything went smoothly for Michelle.

But PLEASE PLEASE take her headcollar off - it's an accident waiting to happen where new babies are concerned and as Michelle is so easy going and friendly, I'm sure she doesn't need one on. Also (JMO) remember that it is not a good idea to tie a mare up while there is a young foal around - foals can easily run into a rope as their vision isn't good at the start. Better to have someone hold the mare if you need to, or teach her to stand still quietly while you attend to her.

Good luck with Becky - do let us know as soon as she foals!

Halter off..

I'm kinda used to the donkey boys Bob and LeRoy...no halter, no go.

Thank you, everyone. And the wait continues.

default_pray.gif

Congratulations on your new filly. Just so you know, it doesn;t appear that she has 4 white socks. I think you are thinking her creamy colored legs mean white socks, but that is normal foal leg coloring on a bay foal. Also, the dark hooves mean no white, otherwise the hooves would be white.

She's the sweetest thing!!

We are waiting on foal number 2..Becky is hanging low..but nothing. I think she's waiting until we give up, haha.

I am thankful that mom's milk came in well..because they were fed fescue from a cow hay round bale.

My daughter was here with her 3 girls..all are Clover crazy, and love the horses completely. All was fine..we ate, and went down to the barn to let the girls out. Opened the stall door, and there lay Clover..flat on the straw. We all nearly died. Her eyes looked glazed and half open, and I didn't see her breathing. I thought maybe mom had rolled on her by mistake. As I got closer, she didn't move at all. I got down next to her..nothing. Mom had walked out of the stall, and was looking back like nothing was really wrong. Suddenly, Clover jumped up and shook off the straw. She was napping. Soundly.

Such relief!!!

I know how you feel gives you such a sick feeling. Cant wait to see some more pictures of her.

Latest posts

Back