Our 2 day old orphan has a new mom

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
Parker had her colt then died a day later from internal bleeding so that left us with a day old foal.
default_no.gif
ln the meantime Cookie was due in another month but her foal was born dead 2 days later. l watched her go down and push on the cam and ran out just as the foal was out and still partly in the sack she was still down and turned licking at it's head...she loves her foals has had many. l was really upset and looked in the next stall at my now 2 day old orphan so tiny and lost looking in that big stall all alone. l don't even remember thinking it just flashed through my mind to get Cookies baby away from her and use the afterbirth and liquid soaked straw and soak down the orphan with it. Well he was mighty wet and wearing the afterbirth when l carried him over to his new mom who was just starting to realize her foal wasn't near her. Loosing Parker and then this foal so close together was the last straw after loosing 2 mares and foals earlier on and l told my other half l was done no more l couldn't handle the losses we had this year no more breeding to stressful. The happy ending is Cookie took to the foal like she just had him and the little guy was wanting to nurse and running circles around her and nudging her to get up and when she did he lit into that milk bag and drank for all he was worth. l'm thinking moms milk is better then goats milk
default_laugh.png
. She lost a Relic foal and adopted a Boogerman grandson. lt's a tiny bit of light in a seemingly dark tunnel this year...

orphanfoal2010.jpg

Yes, happy and sad at the very same time. But very inspirational and gives me hope again and reminds me of the good things about breeding.

My best to new momma and baby. Now both mommas have foals at their sides - just one pair are over the rainbow bridge.
default_wub.png

I am so very happy for all of you (you, the mare, the colt) that everything fell into place and worked out well!
default_biggrin.png

I'm so sorry for your losses, but what a happy ending for one Momma and one little colt. A bittersweet day indeed.

Anna

It is never easy to lose any of our animal family. It sure is a good ending though for the little colt to have a mama to care for him
default_wub.png

So very sorry for your losses but delighted to read about the happy ending for the mare and foal. You have one special boy and girl there
default_smile.png

Thank you for sharing your story. How bittersweet, but glad it worked out the way it did. Quick thinking on your part too. Well done!

such an amazing story....sorry for the awful loss, but seeing that little foal nursing must just make your heart sing! Well done

I'm sorry for your losses this year, but this story is wonderful for both the mom and foal needing a mom. I am so happy for the little guy having things the way they should be. Good quick thinking on your part in a time of stress. Good job.

That is just the sweetest story! I'm so glad your little boy has a new mom! By the way, I like the looks of your appy mare!

Pam

So sorry for your loss but that is wonderful for baby that he has a new mom.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm so sorry to hear about you loss.... [/SIZE]

But at the same time I'm so glad that there is a happy ending. It's not the one you expected but it is truly a HAPPY ENDING.

I am very sorry for your loss of your mare and then the foal. But it is WONDERFUL that the mare and foal left alone can be together and be happy!

Latest posts

Back