OTHER PEOPLE'S KINDNESS/GENEROSITY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as if by magic 2

Reaction score
I've just been reflecting on a friends generosity. I used to work in the building beside this lady and we became friends. She treated myself and 4 others to a trip of a lifetime. She hired a private jet - oops go back - she had a chaffeur car lift us at our homes and take us to Belfast's swankist hotel for a champagne breakfast - then on to the private jet from Belfast - Malaga private taxi again..no queing for bags carrying luggage none of it we checked thru a private part of the airport then off to our 4* hotelto drink Moet and Chandon ( of which I have acquired a taste !) by the bottle by the pool ! :bgrin

And of course the other things, like hubby helping you move the hay

I've often been lucky enough to be the recipient of different generosities and kindnesses.

One that really sticks in my mind was about 16 years ago at the first Breyerfest. I flew in there late at night and our plane was delayed a lot longer than I thought. I had NO money on me and back then, we did not DO credit cards. I was 21 years old and it was after midnight at Lexington, KY airport, which is smaller than I expected. No ATM and I didn't have any means to pay for a cab or rent a car, etc. All was closed but the rent a car counter. My hotel reservation didn't start til the next night (I had figured I would go right to the Horse Park the next day).

So I asked a little at the Rent A Car booth and then decided I would walk in the direction I needed to go. Not the smartest thought I've ever had, but I had been informed that the Airport would be closing. I never imagined the airport would close, I just thought I would wait there overnight. *LOL*

As I was walking along the turnpike, a car pulled up and yeah, I was wary, but it was the lady from the Hertz booth. She told me I was looking to get "bopped over the head" or something like that by some fruitcake who might see me walking this late at night. So I got in w/her and she took me to her apartment and let me spend the night w/her. She asked me to call my parents (she thought I was a runaway) but I told her not only was I 21, but I was married and had a son who was staying w/my parents at home and they knew where I was, they had bought me the plane ticket for my bday.
default_smile.png
She had the cutest accent and a big, fluffy (girl) cat named Regis. Her name was Michelle and she fed me breakfast, let me borrow a nightgown and have a shower and then she drove me the next morning to the Horse Park. I never did thank her as adequately as I wanted to, though I tried later to find her. Wanted to send her something as a surprise for being so kind and thoughtful.

More recently, on the night my husband rolled our new Super Duty and was arrested for DUI, the guy that towed the truck (who was a high school friend of my husband's) went above and beyond to help me deal with it all and took care of every minute detail. I wish I could put into words all that this guy did to take the sting out of the situation, especially given I was three months pregnant with my third son, and was far too emotional even for the circumstances. It was right before Christmas three years ago, and my parents were out visiting from PA for the first Xmas we would spend together as a family in 15 years. I never imagined how I might look back and actually be glad for that night for though I was already acquainted with Al, I never knew how great a guy he is. I consider him a great friend, and lucky at that. He did far more than his job, anyway, and even maybe risked his job to make sure things went well. I think we were on the phone for three or four hours that night no doubt w/me crying the majority of the time, and him going through every detail so I could have some reassurance about the process we were started into.

And I can never forget how kind and generous Crabby Chicken and her family have been with us. They let us stay in their house with them weekend after weekend for shows, and fix us meals, and give us the greatest thoughtful gifts. We are not a family that is easy to host, either, with our toddlers and general craziness. I hope I never take this for granted!

There are so many little kindnesses and generosities I am lucky enough to encounter, I hope I put my fair share and then some, back into the "system."

Liz M.

default_smile.png
You know it dosen't have to be the really 'big' gifts.

We've just heard a young boy who my eldest son (15) went to school with - has unfortunately taken his own life to-day. I think it is because of bullying. It is so sad, but these young boys have already arranged (without being promted) a floral tribute and to go and see his family tomorrow. I hope the community can show some kindness to them at this terrible time. :no:

default_smile.png

We've just heard a young boy who my eldest son (15) went to school with - has unfortunately taken his own life to-day. I think it is because of bullying. It is so sad, but these young boys have already arranged (without being promted) a floral tribute and to go and see his family tomorrow. I hope the community can show some kindness to them at this terrible time. :no:
How very sad, but many people quietly give of themselves with no expectation of anything in return, and though we may not always know who they are, I like to think that it will come back around to them somewhere in their own lives. Prayers for that boy's friends and family.

Thanks Beccy, unfortunately our very small town holds the unevitable record (or did) of the highest rate of sucide in Europe per head of population. Mostly young men, the mother had already lost her teenage brother to the same fate.

Sorry this is turning into gloom.

I was told a story about a boss who bought turkeys at Christmas for all his staff of approx 50 and he was very disappointed when only several had bothered to thank him. He was telling the story to his minister to which he asked the man, did you give the turkeys as a gift a selfless jesture, or did you give them so you could be thanked ?

default_smile.png
You know, this statement is o so true!
default_yes.gif
: Recently a few forum members offered some help when I was down pretty low and it meant a whole lot to me!
default_wub.png
: Every kind word and every bit of encouragement is of utmost importance, to me. All I can say is THANK YOU for the little gifts that help in such BIG ways.
default_wub.png
: Mary

We have been fortunate to have two little girls living with us for about a month now. The mother not knowing what a gift she gave away. My husband and I have raised 3 sons all on their own now and were living a quiet life of work and horses. But now we have two sets of pigtails running around our home that was once surrounded by footballs, Tonka trucks and sweaty old socks is now draped with pink, barbies, buttons and bows. They are 10 and 4 years old and the smartest, cutest, and sweetest little girls ever.... can you tell I am a proud aunt.

So don't ever think you are comfortable in your life because you may get kicked square in the butt. My poor husband and sons are in shell (pink of course) shock. But what joy and happiness they have brought into our home.

Our 4 year old has dwarfism but a personalitly bigger than life. She loves we have the miniature horses. She tell everyone that we have little horses just my size. They both will be showing with us next summer. We pray each day they can stay with us.

No amount of money could pay for the joy we feel each day they are with us...

Tammi

Tammi, I must say, those little girls are so very fortunate to have you!
default_yes.gif
: You both have been given a huge gift
default_wub.png
: Mary

We have been fortunate to have two little girls living with us for about a month now. The mother not knowing what a gift she gave away. My husband and I have raised 3 sons all on their own now and were living a quiet life of work and horses. But now we have two sets of pigtails running around our home that was once surrounded by footballs, Tonka trucks and sweaty old socks is now draped with pink, barbies, buttons and bows. They are 10 and 4 years old and the smartest, cutest, and sweetest little girls ever.... can you tell I am a proud aunt.

So don't ever think you are comfortable in your life because you may get kicked square in the butt. My poor husband and sons are in shell (pink of course) shock. But what joy and happiness they have brought into our home.

Our 4 year old has dwarfism but a personalitly bigger than life. She loves we have the miniature horses. She tell everyone that we have little horses just my size. They both will be showing with us next summer. We pray each day they can stay with us.

No amount of money could pay for the joy we feel each day they are with us...

Tammi

I am lucky to have known many kindnesses throughout my life but the one that really sticks out in my mind is 10 years ago this December, I went into hospital, had emergency surgery and nearly died. I remember being wheeled back to my room from the recovery room and my hand was hanging down. All of a sudden I felt a cold nose and a gentle lick on the hand. My friend Cindy had arrived at the hospital to see me and brought two of her golden retrievers to see me. I felt such joy seeing them, it really helped my recovery and made me anxious to get home to see mine (my dogs are related to hers).

Yvonne

Bonnie Fogg..opened a door and showed me an entire new path.

Ginny St Pierre...dropped everything last year August and took half my herd because I got hurt again Virginia/NY.

So many others who helped and supported me thru my dad's death, my herniated dsics both times, my getting burned, and especially when I lost my Treasure. Too many to name...this place is a haven.

I agree about the size of these gestures of kindness and generosity.

It doesn't have to be grand to register. A simple gesture often feels like a big one at the "right" (or wrong) time.

I know this for a fact.

Liz M.

I don't know who the angel was at the time or for that matter who it was to this day.

About 10 years ago when I was going through a divorce and raising a 3-6 & 9 yr old. I was working so hard just to keep the heat on and food on the table. It was very hard keeping the food on the table and it must have showed on me (my clothes were quite loose on me in those days)

After working another 16 hr day I dragged my body out to my car to go home and there was my car filled with groceries......I still can't believe it to this day. I cried all the way home. Our cupboards were filled for the first time. Also included were gift certificates for local grocery stores so we could get some meat and fill our refer. It got me over a much needed hump.

All my close coworkers swore to me it wasn't them and didn't know who it was.

I know one day I will meet this angel...they'll be one of the 5 people I meet in heaven
default_yes.gif
:

I rarely come over to the Back Porch, but for some reason, I did today. I guess it would be so I would read this post & count my blessings - again.

Over my life, it would be impossible to list all of the generous things people have done for me. I've taken this quote, however, my own website. It's part of a thank you to those who came from out of no where to help with the worst time I can recall.

"On April 2, (2004) a raging fire devoured our entire barn in minutes. We lost more than half of our herd – 15 miniatures perished, including a 4-day-old filly, a yearling, all of our stallions and many bred mares. We were devastated. "

If you'll go to my website, you'll see what happened next. To this day, I am awestruck. Please read. It proves the world is a wonderful place, regardless of what bad happens. Good happens too.

Please go to: Little Wee Horse Farm then click onto "We thank you" on the left hand index on the homepage. I don't know, to this day, why I was chosen to be the recipient of such. Some days, I still just shake my head in wonder, even now. When the world gets to seeming rough, all I have to do is remember...........

Latest posts

Back