Orphan foal....advice needed please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancinWithDiamonds

Reaction score
We lost our fantastic Midnight suddenly about 24hrs ago. It was fast and baffling to out vet. We are waitong necropsy results...

She left behind her 29 day old filly. Willow was well started on sharing grain and hay. Plus water from a bucket. She is refusing milk replacer. Will not take a bottle. Will not drink from a shallow bucket. I syringe it to her but its a huge fight and I worry about aspirating. She WILL eat grain soaked in approx 50mls of milk replacer.

My vet told be 40-60mls of milk every 4 hrs. But he was guestimating. How much should she be getting? How do I convince her to take it? Its been 24hrs. Shes revieved less then she should....Im waiting for her to fade
default_sad.png
She whinnys at us when we go to the barn and wants her grain.

Shes in a stall with my neighbours yearling mini filly who is patient and kind. She has zero interest in stealing Willows grain and shares her hay.

Im looking for a dairy goat but its been unsuccesful so far. Milk replacer pellets wont be available until Monday....

Just keep doing what you're doing for now, since she's not accepting the milk replacer any other way.... You might add some calf manna to the grain and see if she's okay with it.

Do you have any other nursing mares? If so, let her spend time with them too....If you're lucky she'll be able to steal drinks. Good luck. Hope she's okay through the weekend.

Just be sure she is getting a high protein grain 14 -16%.If she is drinking water try adding just a trace of a dry milk product to it then gradually increase the amount.If you can find goat's milk anywhere(sometimes Walmart carries it)good for almost any species.If she is eating grain and drinking water that is a step in the right direction.I am so sorry you lost your mare.Keep us posted on the foal's progress.The fact that she is already eating grain and drinking water is in your favor.I have several older horses that don't drink enough so I put their feed in water.You might try that with your foal-small amounts of water or milk products at first then gradually increase liquid.

Can you get milk replacer pellets? At 29 days old, she doesn't necessarily need liquid milk from a bottle, but does need the nutrients it provides. The fact she is already eating a grain product is fabulous, you are ahead of the game.
Check out the Progressive Nutrition website's library, I'm sure there is an article there on caring for an orphaned foal, I'm sure they recommend their products, but substituting similar products in brands available to you should work just fine.
and, its quite possible she just doesn't like the milk replacer product you chose, they aren't all the same (provide similar nutrients, but don't necessarily taste the same).
Here's the link to the article at Progressive Nutrition: http://www.prognutrition.com/pn/nutrition-information/how-to-feed-the-orphaned-foal/index.jsp
Here's another link on their site on feeding orphaned foals: http://www.prognutrition.com/pn/nutrition-information/what-to-feed-the-orphaned-foal/index.jsp
Just remember their recommendations for amounts are based on full-size foals that will likely mature around 1000#, so you'll probably have to do the math to figure how much your little one should get based on her expected mature size. [You can always contact them, and get their advice as to how much for a mini foal.]
And, a link to their product they recommend for all foals over 2 weeks old (so this might be all she needs): http://www.prognutrition.com/pn/products/foal-supplements/foals-first-starter-creep-pellet/index.jsp

I think you can order direct from the company, but not certain.

You might also try adding a very small amount of Karo syrup or honey to whatever milk product you are trying.Most animal babies love sweet stuff.It might just be enough to get her going.Sometimes it is just a lot of trial and error and frustration to get things going.

Excellent! I thought she would likely prefer goats milk to any formula! Hopefully she will start nursing on the goat and save you some work!

Last edited by a moderator:
At 29 days old all my orphans (a few over the years, alas) were fully "weaned" no bottles, no bowls. I appreciate you would not want to do this with your baby so abruptly, but do make sure she has creep feed available at all times and good hay etc. It should be possible , once you are certain she is drinking enough water, to get her off the liquid milk completely within a couple of weeks, and on to creep feed with extra milk pellets and hay. That will make your life a lot easier! I am so glad you have got her going on the goats milk, though, and I hope all goes well for both of you.

Back