ordered a pair of bud nippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
i understand they will be bulkier than what im using now BUT they are going to save my hands!! im excited, as i trim miniatures for the community and some of these minis feet are HARD and my normal nippers are difficult to handle!

anyone else use these?? or know of someone that does. i know im excited to try them out !

I will be interested to hear the responses. I have the barracuda nippers and am petrified that they will break and I can not replace them.

It's the compound action ones that I would get and maybe even the heavy duty.I

we are excited, i will try to get a video of me trimming a horse with them, hoping to show how much easier it is to cut with the bud nippers

yup. i think that is the best way to go
default_smile.png
i tried them a few years ago and it was amazing!

OK I have dial up and can't watch a vedio, but would love to know how you like them, as OA has taken its toll on hubbys hands. Thanks.

when you use the compound nippers do they open on their own or do you nip the hoof off and have to open the jaws yourself to do the next cut? Likely not explaining what I mean very well.

I know what you mean Genie...basically asking if the handles are "spring loaded" causing the handles to spring open on their own after releasing pressure, like the workings of a clothes pin.

I'm confused? are the spring loaded? or was that a clarification of the question? That would be so awesome for working on the minis. It's not like you can put their legs between yours like you can a big horse, to free up your hands!

They l;ook very similar to the Barracudas...same principle, but would feel more balanced to me because of the center point. I felt awkward with the Barracudas due to the offset way they were made. Genie, you can buy a little spring thing to put on nippers that will make them come back after releasing the pressure when trimming. I had one here I used but it came off, and I never did put it back on. You may find it helpful to you if that is what you are wanting. See this http://barefootisbest.com/Page35.html or this http://piehtoolco.com/contents/en-us/d998.html to see what I am referring to.

Actually, circlesinthesand,if you are very careful and take it slowly, you CAN put their leg between your legs to trim. I have been doing my own(I now have 5, but have had as many as 17)miniatures since I got my first one in '84, and I have ALWAYS done it that way(for the hind legs, I put the leg between my legs also, instead of 'over' my legs as is done w/ 'big' horses). My hands are too small and do not have the strength to operate ANY nippers one-handed, so really didn't have a choice. Yes, it can take some 'manuevering', but it is definitely 'doable'. My smallest right now is 30", and she is fine with it. Of course, it is vital that the horse is well-trained to accept having their hooves done.

Margo

Actually, circlesinthesand,if you are very careful and take it slowly, you CAN put their leg between your legs to trim. I have been doing my own(I now have 5, but have had as many as 17)miniatures since I got my first one in '84, and I have ALWAYS done it that way(for the hind legs, I put the leg between my legs also, instead of 'over' my legs as is done w/ 'big' horses). My hands are too small and do not have the strength to operate ANY nippers one-handed, so really didn't have a choice. Yes, it can take some 'manuevering', but it is definitely 'doable'. My smallest right now is 30", and she is fine with it. Of course, it is vital that the horse is well-trained to accept having their hooves done.

Margo
Yes with some mini's it is possible, but my tiny yearling minis are just too hard on my retired dad. He tried, it's a struggle. Neither of us have the best backs in the world, not from trimming, from falling off one too many times over the decades :p We've been tag teaming where I lean over the back from the opposite side and hold the foot for him, and well...it ties up two of us vs. one so when I saw mention of spring loaded, I thought that would be a GREAT option for my dad. Plus when he retired he didn't think he'd be doing minis again so he got rid of or misplaced his small nipper (that he could use one handed) so he's been struggling with the big nippers and well...I am looking to buy him a replacement for our little guys.

You may find it helpful to you if that is what you are wanting. See this http://barefootisbest.com/Page35.html or this http://piehtoolco.co...en-us/d998.html to see what I am referring to.
Those look interesting! I think i'll order a pair so he can try them out
default_smile.png
thanks

well i have had my bud nippers for a few days now, and what can i say? I LOVE them!! i have trimmed 6 horses so far with them, and i cant believe that my hands dont hurt after trimming!!
default_smile.png

they arent ideal for the foals and prolly not the yearlings, but WOW they cut amazing, im so glad to have bought them.. they are bulky, and heavy, but the presice way they cut make up for it
default_smile.png

no you must open them for the next cut BUT i am able to open them one handed most of the time, they take some getting used to thats for sure, but i like them MUCH better than my 10 inch nippers i used to use for the miniatures

Did you say what size the bud nippers are, that you got? It's the opening with one hand that is hard for old arthritic hands. I sure wish I could get a back up pair of barracudas

Latest posts

Back