Open hipreduction surgery in my mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marybkosiba

Reaction score
I wanted to update everyone on the progress of my little Pebbles. She had the surgery for hip displacement caused by a locked stifle 10 days ago. The used toggles & wires to put the hip back in place as they do with large dogs. She is only 150 lbs. I am happy to report thag she is home 10 days post surgery & doing great. It we can make it to 3 weeks then they think that it will hold. She is lying down now & able to get back up. That is when it usually displaces again, so they r delighted that she is able to do it so easily. There has not been many of these surgeries done on minis, but because of her small size she has a good chance. I wanted to post a pic. But haven't figured out how to do that yet. We r so happy, much less arthritis this way then removing the femoral head. We padded her stall to protect her during the long recovery. We r so relived & happy to have our sweet darling home.

Thats awesome! Great to hear shes doing well! Keep us posted!

That's interesting... was not an option given to us when our marehad surgery severall years ago. They did remove the femoral head and she recovered, but was never anywhere near sound again.

Jan

WOW!! Keep us posted, this is really interesting to read about!! Praying for a safe and full recovery!!

That is wonderful, like others wish that option had been available for my mare...please continue to update and perhaps someone could help with posting photos, am not good with it myself but perhaps someone here is?

So glad to hear that she is making good progress, thanks for keeping us updated.

Back