Online Auctions???????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
So ther have been a ton of online auctions recently. My question though is, are people actually buying? Seems like I never see any bids on any of them.

I've been an online bidder/buyer...and enjoy viewing horsey items available (horse figurines, books, etc. once in a while)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean the online horse auctions.
Yup, did that too. (Found a nice bay pinto mare from mona in Canada, and then a cute pinto colt from a breeder in Kentucky, but that was about 10 years ago). I was lucky, they were nice little horses.

Once in a while, I will peek at online horse auctions, but just haven't found anything I had to have.

The bids seem to come in at the very end.

For me, it was a positive experience. I only had one "bad apple" bidder and honestly, it was good to find out BEFORE. If she'd actually ended up buying the horse, I wouldn't have felt comfortable with the sale and would have had to decline her offer anyway. If you're a buyer, it's a great way to see lots of horses and pick what suits you.

I find them interesting to check in on once in a while. I've bought "on-line" while watching a live auction, but never bought one from a "just on line" one. Mostly because I just haven't seen anything, plus I am TRYING to keep my numbers stable!

However, I did see a recent auction that seemed to have a lot of bids, and one that didn't seem to have any. Another posted their reserve, and I thought WOW those are pretty high reserves for an auction. That to me was rather offputting, and I haven't been back to that sale site since.

We did an online auction and it worked great. The bids didn't start coming till just the last few hours though then the very end got very hectic.

Unfortunately I did end up with some unhappy bidders who didn't get their bids in on time. Email is just not all that reliable as far as timing is concerned. It was frustrating for them and for me, but my colts went to wonderful homes where they will be used and appreciated.

From my experience I would have to say that if you offer good horses at good prices then the buyers will come...but then that has always seemed to be true, auction or private treaty sale.

Charlotte

I've had to sit on my hands while browsing the auction sites...Most of the time for me its the distance (which means shipping costs), but...also recently I have not had to bid on any auctions....
default_shutup.gif
hehe

Our online auction is going on now. While there are only a few bids posted, we have given out many bidder numbers. We have also received many requests for more information on the horses. I think that the bidders will come in as we approach the weekend. People who have done this have told me there will be lots of action at the end. Since I know we have bidders waiting, that will likely be true.

We have been a bidder on recent online auctions and walked away with a great horse. The bids really seem to jump up at the end of the auctions. I feel so bad for poor Heather at the end knowing how busy she gets with it. But she does an awesome job.

I noticed last year there were a lot of "live" auctions that were also broadcast online. I'm not seeing those this year, but a lot of online only auctions.

If I remember correctly, Parmela sold quite a few on hers. I've seen some bids on others, but like others have said, it seems that bidders are waiting until close to the end to bid. I'm still confused how that works when the end nears and you don't know if you've been outbid or not.

I personally like when the reserve price (and possibly a "buy it now" price) are listed up front on the site. That lets me know if it is even worth my consideration. Right now, I see some that are interesting to me, but space is an issue here.
default_sad.png

We will be doing an online auction the first part of December and the details will be here on Lil Beginnings later. But I agree with you songcatcher, I like when there are no hidden reserves. Which is what we are doing. You bid, you own a horse unless someone outbids you. LOL

Waiting untill the last minute can be great or really disappointing though, as the time the bid is registered is what the award of the horse goes by.

I lost a mare I wanted a couple of months ago, when my bid was registered 2 minutes later than the winning bid of the same denomination. And I did not have time to realise it and enter a new bid. That what I get for trying to be slick, which it seems I never am. LOL
default_crybaby.gif

We will be doing an online auction the first part of December and the details will be here on Lil Beginnings later. But I agree with you songcatcher, I like when there are no hidden reserves. Which is what we are doing. You bid, you own a horse unless someone outbids you. LOL

Waiting untill the last minute can be great or really disappointing though, as the time the bid is registered is what the award of the horse goes by.

I lost a mare I wanted a couple of months ago, when my bid was registered 2 minutes later than the winning bid of the same denomination. And I did not have time to realise it and enter a new bid. That what I get for trying to be slick, which it seems I never am. LOL
default_crybaby.gif
I am still confused about this last minute bidding. What if you put in a bid well before the last minute. Someone else comes in and raises the bid 5 minutes before the end of the auction. Is the first bidder notified he/she has been outbid and given the opportunity to raise their bid?

I sure wish these could be updated immediately, like the LB auction was. But, these definitely seem to be getting more traffic.

I see the delima Freeland. Does anyone else have any input about how this situation should be handled? Our auction starts on Saturday!
default_new_shocked.gif

I feel that the auctions should incorporate the '5 minute sniper attack protection' as the LB auction does.

The "5 Minute Sniper Protection Mode" - Auction runs like a LIVE AUCTION. As long as there is bidding at the end of auction on horses or items within 5 minutes, the auction will NOT CLOSE at SET TIME! At the end of the auction, if horse or item has no bids within 5 minutes of last bid, highest bidder wins. The "5 minute sniper protection mode" allows auctions to go in into "overtime" should there be 2 or more people bidding at the end of an auction. This allows fair buying/selling at auction endings.

All depends on the software I am told, I will ask heather and post back.
In my opinion this is up to the owner of the auction. I am not fond of the idea of the auction dragging out into all hours of the evening, but I will do what the owner asks me to do - it's their auction.

I don't see a problem with using the date/time of the email as the deciding factor. We haven't had an issue with that yet, although anything is possible. I'm sure we will adjust as we deem it necessary.

I just love checking out all of the online auctions!!

I think recently people putting on online auctions have been taking advantage of the earlier auctions that have been successful. It seems that the reserve prices/starting bids keep getting higher and higher. Some of the auctions I've been looking at, the reserve/starting bid is the price that I've seen the horses for sale for previously or just a tish bit under. Just an observation I've made lately. Absolutely NOT saying this is everyone so I really hope no one has hurt feelings, that is not my intent at all.

I do really love all of these online auctions and am thrilled that people have been having success with them!

Anyone on here purchase a horse through one of the online auctions that would share??

Thanks, For coming in and explaining that Heather. And yes I have purchased at an on-line auctions several times and was staisfied with the result OHMT.

I think it is a great way to get to a lot of people that may not be able to view the horses otherwise. In talking to folks that have participated in others they like fact they can view the horses, ask questions personally of the owner and then decide if they want to bid.

Many have also said that they bought horses from the farms that put on the sales after the sale was over also. Which was an added part of our decision to put one on and we are planning on doing it yearly or bi-yearly as a production type sale if at all possible.

I am not a fan of most of the ones I have seen. I would like it if they were run like a true real time auction. I think you should be able to see the bids like the auction here on LB and other places. You dont have to see the name of the bidder but should be able to see a history of the bids. This is what makes auctions like Ebay so successful because you can see the bid history. People tend to get way more caught up in bidding when they can see the bids.

Maybe the software is too high to do a real time auction?

Just know the ones I have seen it seems like bids change, reserves change, a horse is sold before the auction ends (which I cant wrap my head around) etc.

I remember a few years ago when there was a stunning mare on the LB auction and the bidding war that ensued. I wasnt even buying but had to watch a long with many others. That is what creates excitement!

Latest posts

Back