Older Mare Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyarab

Reaction score
Was wondering if a 14 year old mare has only had one foal at the age of 3 years old would it be hard for her to get in foal now. The mare is in good shape and as far as I know she has not been exposed to any stallions since her last foal.

I had this happen to me last year. I purchased a mare that the seller claimed was ultrasounded in foal. Well, no foal. I looked her up on AMHA and found 2 foals registered out of her 10yrs ago. I called the previous owner on the coggins and was told this mare had "changed hands a lot". I got really upset. I purchased her from a very well known reputible breeder. I had the vet come out and do an ultrasound and exam of her reproductive tract to find out where things stood. He said her reproductive tract was 100% sound. Based on the condition of her uterus, the size, no scarring, no nothing he figured she'd had no more than two foals in her life. He saw no reason that she could not concieve and carry a healthy foal to term.

She didn't come into a heat until early June. She was settled right then and there. I've had her ultrasounded twice and all looks well so far.

I would recommend having your mare checked out. Then you know for sure what you're starting with.

Good luck,

Candice

I would ask if she had any problems with Her foal when she was 3. Also ask to see pics of that foal if they have them. I would ask why they didn't breed her again. Is it just they didn't want to deal with another foal or was there another reason for not breeding her? Is she of the quality to breed? What does she look like? What is her pedigree like? Just a few questions to ask.

Not a mini mare, but my AQHA mare was only bred twice (my choice); first time she was 7 and foaled out a lovely filly when she was 8 years old, the second time she was 14 and foaled out a handsome colt at 15 years old. There are many people that don't breed every year or breed young mares. Not so much with minis, but many saddle horses don't have their first foal til after they are in their teens.

My mare is 20 years old, she had her last foal when she was 17 i think, i didnt have her then i would have to go back and look, it will be harder for her to have a foal now, good luck!

We've had, and I've known mares, that bred into their 20's with no problem. If there was no damage from the first foal and she is healthy, I dont see why not. 14 is NOT old!! She may have been in homes where she was just used as a pet and folks were not interested in breeding.. who knows?

Your vet can check her over and let you know. Good luck!
default_biggrin.png

I have a mare that had her first foal this year at 13 years of age. At least according to the studbook records and the info I've gotten from previous owners. She had a normal delivery and was an excellent mother. With any luck, she is in foal again for next year.
default_smile.png

I would have a reproductive exam done on your mare checking uterus, ovaries and cervix. Possibly a culure too. If all checks out normal, there's no reason your mare can't have many more foals in the future.

I had an older mare that was bred at 22 and delivered a colt and popped him right out standing up, plop on the ground he came. Both Mom and baby were fine, Mom has passed on now but I still have her colt who was a 2 year old Reserve Champion Halter horse for NEMHS one year.

Joyce

Thanks everyone for your replys. The mare I am talking about is in another state and with the cost of transport and a vet check right now it would be to costly and plus the lady wants me to put a deposit down before I have her vet checked.

I have a mare who will be 12 in January, she's currently in foal for 2008, only had one foal so far at the age of 3! So...she's very similar to your situation =) It only took one SHORT week of hand breeding and voila, the vet comes out and she is confirmed in foal...nothing too hard there! She was given an infusion upon vet referral to help, maybe ask your vet about that?

Latest posts

Back