older gelding needing home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Hi there, some of you may remember me talking in other posts about a sr gelding I have been taking care of for a older couple while on vacation. The gelding is 30 yrs old, has cushings, and foundered. Well his owners are back and today while discussing about taking the gelding home, the owner informed me that they are ready to move on and really dont want him back. They offered him to me along with his hay, cart, & harness. They know I really like him and knows that he would be in good hands here to live out his days. Otherwise they have contacted animal control and spoke to someone there about finding him a new home. Well I know for a fact that they will have him put down cause of limited fundings cause It happens all the time here and this person promised he would find him a new home which I know is far from the truth which sickens me.

Here's the problem, I'm not sure if I can really afford another mini (after is hay runs out), and my hubby will most likely say NO!!! I could take him in and try to find him a new home BUT who? And I know hes good here. So what should I do? I say no but my heart says yes and all will work out. I have 24 hrs to make a decision and still need to ask the hubby...

Thanks!

UPDATE!!!

My horse hating hubby found a spot in his heart to let me keep him!!!
default_biggrin.png

I told him the situation and he said "NO WAY" he will go to the animal control and who knows what happens to him. So Arnie will be living out his days in my back yard. I will be contacting his current owners tomarrow with my good news and inform him I'll do my best to make sure hes happy, healthy, and loved till the end. I went to work and thought about him all afternoon and even asked other horse owners/lovers what they think... and all agreed with all of you here! So if $$$ get tight, I'll sell either my cart or his (pending which one I like) and all funds will help keep him here.

Also I started thinking that its really weird that he will be my 1st for a list of other things for me also...

He'll be my 1st

gelding

B sized mini

non reg

pinto and

chestnut

special needs

lucky old man!

Thanks everyone for all the support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a conundrum. If he is cushings and has foundered, he needs to be on a LSC diet. At his age and with his medical conditions, it is not very likely you'll be able to find a home for him. I hate to sound grim but I've spent the last 4 years doing equine rescue and most (if not all) of the country is horse poor right now. I can't find homes for well trained, well bred young riding horses right now. If he didn't have dietary restrictions, you MIGHT be able to place him as a pasture companion but he really needs to be kept dry lotted.

My gut reaction is that the kindest thing to do for him would be to euthanize him if you cannot keep him. The other option would be to take him and his goodies, sell the cart and use the proceeds to feed him. If he's otherwise fairly fit and active, you could probably keep him around for some time on what you could sell the cart for. Wish you were close, I'm in the market for a starter cart... and could probably find a way to house the old guy.

Makes me so sad to see a senior citizen horse looking for a home. It's not right that they should be in this position after what probably has been a good life of service to their human companions. I have a real soft spot for the seniors.

Editing to add: please, if there is any way possible, don't let Animal Control take him... poor old guy.

First off, I know how you feel, while my "free" gelding isn't aged, he does have health issues; he came to me after his brother passed, and his previous owner didn't want him to be alone (they have drafts, but no place to really separate). so, I talked to my husband, and he reluctantly said yes. [My free horse hasn't been very free; he eats more than others his size, he has health issues, but he's trained to drive, has a neat personality and finally seems to be turning the corner towards being more healthy.]

How has the gelding been doing in your care? Is he getting along well? Is he comfortable? Is he happy? If he's Cushings and foundered and 30 years old would you be doing him a kindness by letting them euthanize him? Just how much hay do they have available for him, and is it good hay? [sorry these thoughts might not be coming in a logical order, just putting them out there for you to think about.] What about taking him him in for his hay, cart and harness; and if in the fairly near future you need to euthanize for his sake, you then have a cart and harness. [i know a little selfish, but still something to think about.] And, then there's the dreaded... Getting hubby to agree.
default_wink.png

Hope it works out for you, whatever you decide.

Thank you for the replys so far as they make me feel much better that I to have thought about keeping him, and possibly selling his stuff or even do the right thing and give him the best till it gets warm out. I know for a fact that soon as is starts getting warm He goes totaly lame in all 4 feet. So I know what to expect. He is in very good health and weight as hes very lucky to have most of his teeth. Hes such a sweet boy and I feel for him. I know that if I do keep him, and see him go lame besides just being his farrier to his current owners, I will do the right thing and end his pain. It already is starting to show its uglyness with the weather warming up and one of his rear feet is starting to hurt. I keep thinking about it and theres no way animal control is getting their hands on him just to kill him and toss his body away like a piece of trash. (not sure if they really would BUT wont find out either way) I would rather love him till it warms up and have him conferably put down and burried in the back of the property under a tree where will always have a home.

Its really weird I have already got attaced to the poor little guy in less then 2 months and sit here and cry about what I should do BUT I want the best for him only. I most defently will talk to the hubby tonight and see what he says and I guess I'll see what happens from there.

Thanks. It defently helps that others think and feel the same way as for the best thing for him, I just needed to make sure I am not being cruel and making a right decision as I never been in a situation of putting a pet down.

I'm so sorry you are having to make these decisions. I wish there was a simple answer but as you already know there isn't. Hugs to you.
default_wub.png

Not sure what you should do, but wish you the best, and it has been nice of you to care for him the last two months.

Hope everything works out for all. God Bless
default_wub.png

I fostered a weanling Thoroughbred filly for two weeks when she needed special considerations because she kept choking. At the end of the ten days she had to be put down because she choked again and her throat had been so damaged in the earlier chokes that the owner felt she did not have the resources to continue. I cried like a baby for days. How long you have them is not the issue when it comes to your heart.

Sounds like you have a good plan, to keep him until he is no longer comfortable then do what needs to be done. Having been with numerous animals at the end now, I can say it is an easy way for them to go. It is NOT easy on us, their stewards. But for them, yes.

Hugs and blessings to you for what you are doing for the old guy. Your heart will tell you what to do, and when to do it. And when you need support when the time comes to lay him to rest, you can come here for support and commiseration. It DOES help.

Contact the Yahoo Cushings/IR group, which I co-moderate. There may be someone there this is near you that can help you and is knowledgable in this field. The last thing this guy needs is to be transported, but perhaps there is someone that lives close by.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Take him. Love on him until it's time for him to go, then release him from his pain. He doesn't know that tomorrow he may feel better, only that he hurts now...

It sounds as if you are making up your mind.
default_smile.png

I agree. Keep him. Take his hay, cart, and harness. Give him love and care -- honor him as long as possible, until his quality of life (his pain) says he needs to be released. (That's what I would do if in your position.)

I can't tell you what to do.... Nor do I envy you having to make this heart wrenching decision.

I just know what I would do. I'd take him in and make the remaining portion of his life as comfortable as as possible until it was time to let him go. However, that would be provided that he wasn't in any pain.

But of course that's just me.... and I've always had a need to nurture every creature large or small since I can remember.

I can't tell you what to do.... Nor do I envy you having to make this heart wrenching decision.

I just know what I would do. I'd take him in and make the remaining portion of his life as comfortable as as possible until it was time to let him go. However, that would be provided that he wasn't in any pain.

But of course that's just me.... and I've always had a need to nurture every creature large or small since I can remember.

default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Take him and keep him,you will know when he needs to be euthanized When you feel he is suffering and his quality of life is not good then let him go . He may onl;y have a few good months left but he will know that you care about him for those last months.

My heart aches for you, I agree with the others, take him, love him while you can, hug him everyday, one day you will look into his eyes and know that he is ready to end his pain. The decision is hard, and you will cry a bucket of tears, but you will know that you have given him the best of yourself for his last days. Bless you, hopefully hubby will understand.

There is a very special place in my heart for old horses. If he were mine, and I could see suffering, I would let him go heaven with the dignity he deserves where he will pain free forever. I'm so sorry Mindy you have been put in this very sad position. You are very compassionate. Senging you hugs.

I agree with miniv. I have taken in the older equine for many years.Last year was and old show pony he can do everything maybe even bake an apple pie. He was 26 body score of 2 teeth were a mess but he still. Had sparkle in his eyes. A man on his way to the auction broke down near my house. My husband went to give him a hand and when he unloaded this big pony I looked at my husband and he said put him in the barn. I couldn't afford the vet bill either but it all worked out. Now my friend River is here till his day comes. Give him the best you can until his time comes. I can tell you it wont be easy at that point but you will know in your heart you did your best for him. And he will to.

if i was you, i'd keep him. it sounds as if he doesnt have a whole lotta time left and just needs a retirement home until he has to be euthed. i have to admit i've never heard of a horse going lame just because the weather gets warmer, around here its usually the other way around!

Good for you. You give your hubby, yourself and that sweet old man gelding a hug from me. I have no doubt you are making the right decision. Bless you for even considering it. I hope you'll post some pix of him. As I said, I love the seniors.

Now, I'm new to minis so I have ZERO idea if they tolerate Bute or what the dosage is but among the horse communities I circulate in, it's more and more acceptable to give a low dose daily of bute for chronic pain. Hopefully, Dr. Taylor will weigh in on this. My big pinto mare had foundered before we got her. She had no rotation of her coffin bones but does have some sinking and as such, has very thin soles in her feet. Top that off with arthritis and she has some pretty uncomfortable days. She is otherwise spry, alert, engaging, and in good health. We feed her grass hay that has a small amount of alfalfa in it, a hay balancer and Biotin. She gets no pasture but will get the occasional nibble of grass but she is NOT cushings. anyway, what I am getting at is that we will give her a low dose of bute daily with her hay balancer made into a mash. A soupy mash and we precede it with hay... so her belly is not empty when she gets it. So far, after 2 years of on/off dosing, she's doing GREAT and is back to some trail rides.

I don't know if any of all that blabbering will help you but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Bless you!!!!!

Latest posts

Back