Old people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
To prove my point........

Taking CBY out to his pen this a.m. Carrying his pan of hay in one hand his leadrope in the other..like always. Spring won't come out the gate. Darn mare! Would rather stand in a pen with no grass??? So I take CBY in the pen and try to chase her out. She runs in the shed. CBY and I follow. I swing my left foot at her trying to shoo her since all my hands are full. CBY thinks I'm kicking at him I guess and jerks back HARD! Jerks me right down on my rear! Yeeeoooowwww! Hurts like heck! I thought sand was soft???? CBY and Spring take off out into the pasture. CBY sees Skipper in his pen and charges to attack! Squaling and striking. All the mares and foals come running from down the pasture to see what's going on. I'm chasing CBY around the outside of the round pen hoping he stays after Skipper and doesn't take off for parts unknown dragging his lead rope. We make several laps and I'm finally able to get hold of the end of his lead rope. He's suddenly all manners. LOL good boy. It's a good thing. I'm sore all over.

Lesson learned.......Take the extra half minute to turn Spring out first before getting Cowboy. Even a 120 pound little horse can put old folks on their hind end!
default_laugh.png

Charlotte

This one got my attention!!! I know just how you feel - I got flattened by our Cowboy a couple of weeks ago and had a witness. At least my Cowboy didn't take off - this time. I hope your soreness goes away quickly!!!

I am feeling your pain, hope you get better fast.

LOL to funny ok once we are confessing my tiny little 29 inch stallion has drug me and i fell on my butt once as well- I was so embarassed and I know he thought it was the funniest thing ever
default_laugh.png

First of all.......you're not old!!! These minis can be strong little beggers. I think we sometimes get lax in how we treat them....I know I do things with them that I'd never do with a big horse! It can get us in trouble sometimes.

default_biggrin.png
I had one of our small mares come from behind with a sneak attack and run right between my legs raised up and backwards I went right on the ole' hinny and it is a good thing I have some extra padding to cushion the fall
default_new_rofl.gif

Charlotte, you told that story so well that I could 'visualize' it! LOL Yes, we do tend to get lax with these little ones. I've been putting our stallion, Bandit, out with seven mares during the daytime. He has mellowed so much now, and as I'm leading him in/out, he lags behind and I find myself walking ahead of him. We just got some chickens, and I forgot that he hadn't been past them before. I got a quick awakening! LOL

Pam C.

Im far from old. However I am a big guy. Over 6' you get the picture.

Well one little mare we got we off loaded her from the van and she rears up. I think okay what ever tell her NO. And then start to try and walk her down the alley way to her stall. Well she put her head down between her legs and pulled me along behind her. She had never been to our barn didnt know where to go or anything. But she was going someplace. Well she gets about half way down when my fiance grabs the rope and pulls to the side and unlocks her little head and neck from what I have come to refer as the MOW! position.

Last time I was nice to a newbie by giving them their head after they get off the truck. That was embarrassing. I out weigh the thing easily and yet I couldnt stop her at ALL.

Charlotte, feeling your pain here too LOL. I'm well battered and bruised lately
default_biggrin.png
Have been put on the ground by a 16 hand horse I was trying out, tossed around in the cart by my B mare the other night after something spooked her - ending in smacking both my knees against the front of the cart (ever notice the wing nuts there???). By the time I got her bucking stopped and assessed damage to the cart, I realized there was blood running all the way down my leg. To top it off, I got my foot jumped on by a spooky yearling filly in the wash rack (in flip flops of course). OUCH.

Lisa....don't feel bad, his daddy drug me across the arena at World one year and nearly got away from me after getting his top ten. Just a few people watching.....
default_blush.png
He's strong as an ox when he sets his little head and goes, all 30" of him!

Jan

My story is not about me but still about a determined mini. I am going to tell one on my neighbor, who is a big horse person
default_smile.png
. We had to go to a friends for a weekend, small emergency, and our neighbor volunteered to keep our "cute little horses" for us while we were gone. Left on Saturday morning, came back on Sunday evening to a neighbor with a black eye!
default_new_shocked.gif
Asked her what happened and she said she came over to feed Saturday evening, walked up to the gate with the feed bucket (first mistake), bent down (second mistake)to talk to the little 31 inch mare that was standing on the other side while opening the gate (last mistake). As soon as the mare realized the gate was unchained, she barreled thru to get to the feed bucket, manners all gone since there was a newbie on the place, and knocked my neighbor out of the way--gate - head- black eye. She has not volunteered to keep our babies again when we leave.
default_no.gif

Thank You, Thank you all! I'm not the only dufus on here!
default_laugh.png
These stories are all so funny I can just see the action.

You know, because these guys are little we forget sometimes that they are still horses and deserve the same training and respect that our big ones did. I mean, I catch myself doing stuff that would have gotten me KILLED by our quarters and arabs.

Someone told me a quote....I think ThreeC........something about 'the gentlest horse being the one that would hurt you'. We just get too relaxed and don't pay attention.
default_smile.png

Charlotte, sitting on a pillow

LOL! I HAD to jump in on this one since I had such a bad morning with my little guy. I always pride myself in the fact that I believe in lots of ground manners for everyone. Well, I sit here bruised and sore from trying to bathe and photograph my favorite gelding for his permanent papers and brand inspection. GEE Whiz you would think he had never seen a hose before. He has been on the backburner lately while I am busy training my husbands 2 year old colt. And he knows his manners! So with many hoofy marks on my chest and the photo session just now ending 6 hours later, with lots of determined training lessons in-between, I don't feel so bad. Tylenol will kill the pain.

To add insult to injury, a few months ago I went into the minibarn to feed, had my hands full, and I guess the little 159 pound 30" terror inside had been dosing and I spooked him. As he ran past me and my armful of hay and bucket, in the teeny, tiny gate opening, he clipped me slightly, but enough to knock this old lady off balance, and as I spun and started to fall forward, I quickly thought to myself, "the heck with keeping the hay off the ground", because I saw that big post coming fast. As buckets and hay flew, I put out my hands on either side of the post to hit the fencing, and with a huge crack, I realized I had badly misjudged the distance. I hit head-on with the force of a freight-train it felt like, and broke my nose! My husband came home later that day and saw me laying on the couch with an ice bag over my face and nearly died laughing when I explained, as he vainly tried to see if he could help. Made me start laughing when I started to tell him," Yeah, and the darn little rats started eating all the hay that fell while I crawled to the outside gate. Right now I don't care if they look like balloons in the morning the little pigs."

My Dan said I need to downsize to safe My Little Pony Dolls.

Aw Charlotte! OUCH!

My hubby Karrel can relate! 3 AM I hear squealing and find Topper (stallion) had gotten out and was with the mares. After some doing, I catch him and as Karrel nears me, Angel decides she needs to protect the herd from the stallion! Ummm she missed Topper and Karrel got both barrels! Poor guy had some horrid black bruises for a few weeks! Right in his kidneys! Angel felt bad about kicking daddy by mistake!

Latest posts

Back