OFFICAL "weigh in" thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I need to take some pointers from you ladies. I failed miserably keeping on a good work out schedule (did it well for 4-5 weeks.. no weight loss but could see a difference in toning..) and now I have gained 10 lbs in less then 3 months.
no.gif
I need to get on a healthy diet to help me out I think
wacko.gif

Good thing we just got a treadmill... hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adair, Thanks for the advice. I will ask my Dr. during my next visit about the Vit. D issue. I take a multiple vit every day, plus eye vits twice a day. They total 1000 IU daily. I get lots of sunlight, even in the winter. I will definitely check into it.
yes.gif

I have gotten so that I put all kinds of fruit in my smoothies. Lots of cinnamon also. Usually I add 1/2 cup skim milk so my blender can handle all the ice and fruit. Then free Cool Whip on top! Just finished one ... so good.

Megan, taking Ricky for walks can help. I take at least one of my guys every day. Now that Chess can buddy up with Bit, like a pretend double hitch, my arms are getting a work out too.

May be why my wrists are sore.
wink.gif

WOW Melinda...HUGE Congratulations!!! I know what an accomplishment it is to get to the "Under 200" point! When I started posting to this thread, I was 222.5, but at my heaviest (as far as I know) I weighed in at 231, so very close to where you were too. After I got on and saw I was 231 or 232 or whatever it was, I never weighed myself again after that until I decided to try to move the weight backwards. LOL!

I never posted last week I see. I guess I forgot with all the hustle and bustle with trying to get out and enjoy our riding horses. Last week I was UP 2.5#, this week down 3#.
default_rolleyes.gif
As of this morning, I am sitting at 173, so sounds again like it is fairly close to the weight you are hoping to get to Melinda, so hang in there! You're doing great! I've been very bad...not passing those aisles by that have the big bags of candy etc., BUT, I will have no one to blame but myself, so I do indulge at times.
default_yes.gif

Good Luck to everyone! I think I may stop posting here, since I have been trying to maintain for so long now, and not really in a "loss" mode anymore. Hopefully someone else will step in and take my place .
default_wink.png
I'll still be watching all your progress reports and checking in once in awhile though, so everyone keep up the good work! It really does help to stay motivated having this support group here!
default_aktion033.gif

Has anyone here used MyFitnessPal.com? A friend of mine has lost A LOT of weight over the past year using it and I just signed up. So glad it is free, too!

Hi Ladies
saludando.gif

Sorry to not be on this week. Had a lot going on.

Mona... I understand that you have been posting here for quite a while now. Will miss you but certainly did love sharing your journey. Thank you so much for continuing to post when I asked for help in May. Without you and Adrian, I would never have felt so committed to fighting my weight battle. Though we have never met or spoken, I think of you two as my "Mini Friends". Thanks for having been here when I needed you.
wub.gif

Adrian... still my role model in WW! Hope you are still maintaining. Know it is tougher than losing the weight. I am cheering you on
aktion033.gif

Megan... I think we are already "Mini Friends" through our conversations about Ricky. Sorry, but I will not be able to meet you in person at the Johnston fall shows. My life has sort of been put on hold right now.

My hubby Tom was badly hurt Tues. AM when a deer decided to wipe out a motorcycle rider.
sad.gif
The deer jumped right out and they slammed into each other. Tom was able to not hit any other cars or trucks. He slid and tumbled about 35 ft, the bike continued until about 115 feet from impact. The local hospital ER flew him by helicopter to Greenville NC to the big trauma clinic. They did a great job. I drove right there (2.5 hrs. from home) and stayed in his room with him.

He has a lot of broken bones, both hands are in splints as well as his left leg. Ribs cracked. And lots of road rash! With all his splints and bandages he looks like a mummy with broken bones. But he is still my Tom. No head injuries
aktion033.gif
His neck and back are good. No damage to internal organs. It will be a long road to recovery, but he can do it. He has the best outlook on life of any one I know. The ER Drs. told me to expect to stay in Greenville for long extended hospital and rehab. time.

Well, my Honey already showed them he could walk up and down stairs with a splint on his broken leg, and no cane or crutches. No way to use them with two broken up hands. He was discharged home on the 3rd day in Greenville. Now it is only Friday, less than 5 days since the accident, and we are back home figuring out how to get around.

They released him since I am a Nurse and used to be the wound care nurse at a Nursing Home. Tonight, bathing him and changing his dressings took us about 2 hrs. We will get faster, but boy, his wounds are healing already. Taking care of him is not hard. He has always been fun to be with, even when he battled cancer years ago. Oh, did I mention my Tom is 68 yrs. old?

He has been riding bikes for years and is a safety type guy. That deer picked the wrong biker. He was wearing a helmut that saved his life. He says he will be riding again one day and I believe him.

So what does this have to do with weight loss? I lost 5 pounds on Hospital food!!!
aktion033.gif

speedy recovery thoughts for your hubby.

If it would help, maybe you should have hospital take-out, just kidding, I wouldn't wish most hospital food on anyone (at the very least its usually very bland).

Oh, Melinda! Really hope your Husband recovers quickly! What a tough nugget!

Melinda, thanks so much for sharing your story, you are a tough lady! I hope your husband feels better real soon!! wow.
default_wub.png
hang in there, keep us posted when you can. That's a tough way to lose 5 # sigh.

I have been walking more this past week. I figured I needed it as maintenance has been a bit tough and I am being tempted by some of my old habits. You can always start new every day, so that is what I am doing. I did the annual "whisker walk" today at our feed store with my daughter and two dogs. Proceeds go to dog rescue. Lots of fun, lots of walking, every body had a great time.

Take care everybody, stay strong. More rain coming tomorrow. Pennsylvania flooding again. sigh. I have cabin fever so bad.

It was nice of the weather to take a days break so we could do the walk today.

cheers folks
default_saludando.gif

Chandab... Great idea. I will mention it to my Weight Watchers Leader. " Hospital Take Out Diet Plan". To be honest, the food was good, but always dried out by the time I got around to eating it. It is a huge complex so I did a lot of walking.
488.gif
Thanks for the good wishes.

Thanks Megan. He is a very determined guy. He has already figured out lots of clever ways to do things for himself. But I have discovered he does have certain standards. While he agreed that my zippered pink baggy robe with wide sleeves slipped on him easily, and was most comfortable, he tried to yank it off when he saw one of his buddies drive in our yard to visit him. For a beat up guy, he sure move fast!

Adair... Sorry to hear you guys are still getting so much rain. Hope you dry out soon. Stay strong... I know about cabin fever. I snack when I am bored. Rain seems to make me think I need to eat for something to do. Try to remember weigh in for life time is coming up. So proud of you!
yes.gif

OMG Melinda!! I am sure glad Tom was not hurt worse than he was, or even killed. Someone was watching out for him! Thank God he'll be OK, and sounds like he is in great hands there with you taking care of him. I wish you both the best, with his full recovery, as well as to you with your continueing weight loss program.

weigh in day... up 0.8 lbs but still within the limit of plus or minus 2 lbs on maintenance week 5. If I keep steady this week I will hit lifetime next Tuesday. We have a new weight watchers spokes person. she is a bit driven and doesn't let any of us talk.. her personality is a bit abrasive. oh well. Glad I have all of you to share with to be my buddy in this journey
default_wub.png

Hey a bonus of weight watchers... I got my cholesterol checked and dropped my bad cholesterol by 50% and am in the normal range first time in 15 years!! Blood pressure is perfect too. My doctor is very pleased with my diet. YIPPEE.

I tried a cool cake/muffin recipe I found on the weight watchers site. You take a box of chocolate cake mix and stir in 15 ounces of canned pumpkin and one egg white. Bake in muffin pans or a 13x9x2 inch pan at 350 until springy in the middle. You can make 18 muffins at 4 points each or a 13x9x2 inch pan and estimate 1/18th of the pan for 4 points. Surprizingly good for a chocolate fix. You can barely taste the pumpkin, but it sure does add something. Don't use the spiced pumpkin pie canned filling, just pumpkin. YUM. Even my picky kids loved it.

Hey Melinda, how is your husband Tom doing? I hope he is getting much better.
default_yes.gif
take care, we are all thinking about you!
default_wub.png

default_risa8.gif
:BananaHappy
default_new_multi.gif
:HappyBounce
default_488.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheers.gif
default_thumbup.gif
default_firstprize.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg

I hit lifetime in weight watchers today... No more paying. I am thrilled and a bit nervous about the journey ahead. Official 37 lbs lost in 7 months. I'll take it. Just wanted to share. They gave me a little gold key to put on my keychain.

Adair

default_aktion033.gif
YAY!!!!! HUGE CONGRATULATIONS Adair!!! YOU DID IT!!! What an accomplishment! Keep up the GREAT work now in maintaining,

A healthier alteranative if anybody is intrested for brownies. Take a box of brownie mix and mix it with one can of black beans. Send the beans through a blender first, then just mix together. They are far better then brownies made with the oil and eggs.

wow Ashley, thanks. I recently did a cake recipe where you mix a box of cake mix with 15 oz of pumpkin and one egg white. It was delicious. 4 points for 1/18th of the cake. yum. Choc or yellow, but my kids liked the yellow best. Duh, forgot to mention you put it in a 13x9x2 inch pan and bake at 350 until the top springs back up when poked.

For some reason, my posts are not showing up!

Adair, I have been trying to say "Way to Go". Have tried several times. Hope this one goes through. You are my hero for getting Life Time.
aktion033.gif

For some reason, my posts are not showing up!

Adair, I have been trying to say "Way to Go". Have tried several times. Hope this one goes through. You are my hero for getting Life Time.
aktion033.gif

Thanks Melinda
default_wub.png
It feels great. Now I just have to maintain it. That will be the hard part I think going into winter to keep up the exercise part I started. My dogs are loving the extra walking and my husband is enjoying me helping more with the cows. I wanted to build in exercise into my day as routine so I didn't have to think about it. Just make it part of what I do, rather than just a specific exercise program that sometimes can get boring.

The ww spokes person asked me what I learned during my journey. What I said was the following.....: I always thought my weight was something I had to live with and I blamed it on many things... I blamed it on slow metabolism, blamed it on my inability to exercise enough, I blamed it on having kids late in life, blamed it on my family history, blamed it on my age and entering meneopause. I told myself these things were the cause until I believed it 100%. I also believed I couldn't control my cholesterol because of genetics and family history..... What I found with weight watchers is this... It REALLY is what you eat, and how much you eat and lack of enough exercise. Portion control... smart food choices, and get up and move.... The 29 points seems to be a magic number for weight loss for me. I weighed my food, choose from power food lists and I ate MORE food on weight watchers than when I was struggling to lose weight all those years. The other reason weight watchers works is the support and knowing you are not alone in your struggle and having people like you all saying nice things and cheering you on!!!! Stay strong everybody and thanks so much for all your support. I lost 37 lbs in 7 months and dropped my bad cholesterol 50% and I am in the normal range first time in 20 years. YIPPEE
default_aktion033.gif
It can be done
default_wub.png

Hi everyone,

Sorry I have not posted much lately.

Adair... Thanks for sharing so much. I sure could see myself in your conversation with your WW Leader. I too found lots of outside reasons for my weight gain. I still find those same excuses to snack sometimes. I have to get over that.

When I weighed in last Thurs., I was up 1.6 lbs. from 2 weeks before. Considering these last few weeks tending to Tom, eating at odd hours, and on the road back and forth to the plastic surgeon and orthopedics offices almost 3 hours away, I was pretty proud of myself. The lady who weighed me in shook her head, like I had done very poorly, when she put it in my book.
no.gif
I reminded her of what was going on in my life and she smiled and agreed that was a good number, ONLY 1.6!! It is all in your perspective.
aktion033.gif

Tom is much better now, 3 weeks post accident. He is doing a lot more for himself, so soon my life will get back to sort of normal. Serious WW tracking again, healthy meals at home. I am really looking forward to having some control over my choices again.

We do take good snack food along on our trips and try to eat at WW friendly restaurants, but lack of real exercise is catching up with me. I am not earning activity points like I was.

But all in all, Life Is Great! I had a chance to drive both of my little single driving minis this weekend and feel in love with them all over again.

Stay well and healthy everyone, Melinda

It is Tues, October 25th, 2011. My goal is to lose 19.3 more pound to start.

Last year I lost 30 and gained some back. But I am going to do what it takes to reach my first goal!

The groundwork of all happiness is health.

aktion033.gif
Good luck everyone!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back