Off to Area 3 Nationals we go...!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight_minis

Reaction score
This is a pic of Dream Girl i took it 3 weeks ago at her first show. She placed Reserve champ in her yearling halter class. I'm relatively new to showing and have only done a handfull of small shows. I'm taking Dream to the area 3 nationals in perry, ga this weekend. It's a super huge show for us and we'll be showing against seasoned and professional horses and handlers. I'm not expecting to bring home blues but if we do that will make it all the better!
biggrin.gif
I've always wanted to go to this show it's probably the biggest show I'll ever go in. Got everything packed up except horse.
smile.gif
Some friends said i should have just went with out horse to watch yeah maybe so but I learn by doing so we're jumping in head first.
laugh.gif

*Wish us luck*

sweetdreams.jpg

We're back!
yes.gif
Dream did pretty well. She probably would have done better but the long trailer trip and new place must have been too stressful for her. She lost a lot of weight between the time we left on Saturday and Sunday morning.
no.gif
Her flanks looked pretty hollow which was even more evident when she was set up. How do you prevent this from happening? She had plenty of hay that she could have ate but she just picked at it. It was mostly costal with some timothy in it. Looks like she was picking out the timothy well what little bit she did eat. I figure she probably ate 1/4th flake of hay between 11 am saturday and 8 am sunday. Which on a normal day could have been eatten in about 15mins.

As far as results go we got Second in color and Third in owned bred and shown by.
aktion033.gif
Dream's happy to be home and i reckon so am i. It was flat shore raining in Ga. I still enjoyed the trip and am glad i got to go.

thanks for your support.
wub.gif

Hi! I met you at the show! It was fun talking with you...so glad she did well she is soooo pretty! mine are all sleeping and so tired but I do think maybe they had fun...hopefully someone will answer the hallow question, same thing happened to us : ( . Honestly she was still very pretty though i can see the difference in this picture and what she was at the show.

First of all just want to say many congratulations and well done you, I'm glad you had a good time coz that's what showing is all about!

Yearlings do find travelling and showing quite stressful and exciting and do lose weight quite easily. You do not say if she was drinking ok - hopefully more than she normally does as a lot of weight can be lost during travelling by becoming dehydrated.

Also you mentioned hay, but nothing about normal food - how much food did you take with you and how much of that did she eat.

I am not familiar with all your different types of horse food in the US so hopefully someone else will step in to advise you, but I will say that if she was drinking well and eating all her normal food up during your trip, then I think you will just have to make some adjustments to the levels of feed you give her at home, to build her up a bit more before your next trip and show so that she is a little more prepared for the stress and physical exertion needed for a longish journey and the excitement of the actual show.

Again - well done and good luck for next time
default_yes.gif

Anna

Skylight, I think I met you while we were waiting to go in for Owned Bred and Shown... I had the little weanling Blue Roan filly...

I had the same thing happen to my broodmare. She was great looking at the house then turned hollow by Saturday Afternoon, we made sure she had plenty of water at all times, Hay and gave her some extra feed, She is back to normal now that she is home, She still did well taking 1st in Broodmare and was placed as the alternate for Reserve Champion Senior Mare. Her little filly did awesome taking 1st in all her classes..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back