Obese gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There would not be much difference in fact, in either timing. If a horse is out at night it will eat less anyway, that is just their nature...

There was an interesting article published recently about how much grass a horse consumed given the opportunity. Using a control group grazing 24 hours per day, they also had a group grazing all day but stabled (and fed obviously!) nights, plus another group grazing just 4 hours per day and stabled the rest of the time. Not sure (cant remember!) of all the things they were testing for - there were lots of different tests done - but the interesting thing that did come to light was the fact that the horses grazing for only 4 hours actually consumed more grass (or had more effects from the grazing) than those that were on pasture for 24 hours!! The reason being that those 'restricted' just stuffed themselves given the chance for the full 4 hours, as against the 24 hour ones wandering around grazing more slowly, taking regular breaks/snoozing etc etc. The huge, sudden influx of grass was also found to be more harmful to the horse's system/health than the steady trickle of grass over 24 hours. Of course this would all depend upon the 'type' of grass available, but I find the results interesting, plus I have noticed the same thing happening here - I have a couple of stabled minis, and when I let them out in the morning it is a case of heads down immediately with solid 'hoovering' all morning. Whereas when I go visit my 'feral' herd living out 24/7 they are usually moving around, picking at the grass, snoozing, or wandering over to meet me and to accompany me round their fields as I check the fences, very relaxed and unbothered about the need to eat.

Anna I have always said this- if you restrict and then allow free access for a very limited time the horse just makes up for lost time and fills it's face as quickly as it can, in exactly the same way that if you allow a thirsty horse free access to water it will actually drink to the point of doing itself harm. I HATE muzzles, but am slowly accepting that a grazing muzzle does have a place, and it is far better for the horse to be out all the time (weather permitting) and grazing, even with a muzzle on, than to be on restricted grass. As far as the horse is concerned, the minute it cannot/is not eating, it is starving to death, as it's system is telling it to graze - normally on pretty sparse or rough grass, up to 22 hours o/o 24. This why you get stall walking, cribbing, chewing and eating inappropriate things (pica) . I am seriously thinking of getting a grazing muzzle for two of my mares, for next year. So long as it is on a quick release, safe halter, I think it may work.

Hmmm... I have to wonder if slow hay feeders have this same effect. Anyway. I am a firm believer in them for horses on dry lot.

BTW, I make very safe breakaway halter using a piece of cheap pink ribbon (doubled over) in place of the short leather piece that usually holds the buckle on. It does break and the halter comes off every few weeks and I have to replace the ribbon.

Agreed that a safe grazing muzzle could well be the answer for horses needing restricted grazing, and Mary, the use of a slow hay feeder (where horses are or have to be kept on dry lots) would surely be good to keep the 'trickle feed' idea going, but it must also be remembered that it is having the space to move around whilst grazing, that naturally keeps the horse's system working properly.

Would love to have an update on how our obese little fella is progressing.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back