Nutrition question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Socks Miniature

Reaction score
Yay my colt has been gelded! Wahooo!

But...I am having serious issues getting weight on this guy!!! Even when he was still unweaned he was "skinny" He did have issues with his IgG levels and had transfusions and a hospital stay as he was very weak.

He is just over a year now about 31.75 inches tall (lol he is already as tall as his mom) He gets free fed local hay throughout the day and gets a alfalfa/ grass hay at night when he is in his stall. For grain he is on a complete Yearling feed 5 (250ml or 8oz.) cups twice a day, 1/8 cup of whole flax, and a vitamin/mineral mix. He has had blood work which is normal. Him and his mom boss the rest of the herd around so I know he is not getting pushed from the feeding line up. He isnt too bad, he doesnt have ribs or spine showing or anything like that, but I think that by his hips is still a bit to hollow looking and he is just thin!

I wish I had his metabolism!

Any reccomendations?

Here are some pictures of him today, sorry about the half clip job, my blades were all dead after clipping 4 horses and he got to be the 5th so not all of him got done, not to mention he can be a bit of a stinker for clipping! He is the silver dapple.

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he looks just fine. He is at what i would consider a good weight, he is not to thin and not to fat looks in good condition and looks pretty healthy to me.

I know its tuff when we see them everyday that we think that they look skinny or somethin Im the same way

he is a cutie

I have a yearling stud colt who is the same way!!! it seams no matter how much food we give him he doesn't seam to put on any weight! we added beat pulp to his feed and this seams to be working!

I think if you add beet pulp into his diet that would help fill him out overall, beet pulp has also been really really good to put weight on the horses, and then once you get them to where they need to be, i can always cutt back on the beet pulp and them still hold a good weight there.

He does look a little thin to me. I would just slowly up his complete feed until he fills in. Remember its a complete feed so they can have a lot more then for example a sweet feed. 5 cups is not very much as a cup of feed is very little in volume Your better to measure in pounds

I would deffinately be soaking & feeding him beet pulp and oats. That will really help him fill out!

Latest posts

Back