NOVICE NEEDS DONKEY HELP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryann

Reaction score
As a favor this weekend we helped my brother in law purchase and haul a mini donkey. At the auction

some of the donkeys were clipped. It has been so hot here these last few days the little girl is really hot.

So needless to say since we clip our minis he wants us to clip his little Jennet. I have no idea on how to

do a donkey clip!! :new_shocked: Do you clip all the mane off clean ? Do you use a size 10 blade ?Do you

clip inside the ears clean, or leave some hair to keep the bugs out of those huge ears.?? LOL

Is is ok to blanket the little girl at night so she won't be chilly? She will be kept in a stall at night. Help!!!

I want to help him out but want to do a good job to. Here is a pic of the little girl. She is just the sweetest thing!! So I am on bended knee begging help from all you donkey experts. LOL Thanks so much. Maryann

th_DONKEY.jpg

:saludando: Hi Maryann...I don't have a clue how to clip a Donk?

All I know is..if I were to come at one of mine with a clipper...LOL...they would flip out!!

I really don't see a reason why you would blanket her at night either...they are a pretty hardy critter
default_yes.gif
:

I live in Washington State and we have at times very cold temps and even then I don't blanket them...It builds up a Winter coat if you don't. Now if it's raining...they hate getting wet and will appreciate a coat.

That lil Donk is really cute
default_wub.png
: What is her name? Hang in there for more answers to your Q...lol...I know someone here knows something
default_yes.gif
: Teri

oh what a sweetie... she looks just like my Mary Ellen
default_wub.png
:

sorry i don't know anything about clipping either as far as those kind of details... we have clipped our donkeys before but my daughter just skimmed the clippers over their bodies to get the majority of the hair off because they were so hot... they didn't look that great but a few weeks and a good brushing and you couldn't even tell anymore
default_rolleyes.gif
:

if it still gets cool at night perhaps you could just curry her real good? that's what we usually do here... it thins out the hair some but still leaves them enough to keep warm on their own at night without a blanket.

so what's her name? and send more pics any time
default_wub.png
:

Maryann,

I can email you some pictures tonight of how I clip my donkes for shows., if you like. It's really easy. I wish showing the mini horses was as easy to get ready for a show
default_yes.gif
: .

To take off the winter, use a 7 or a 10 blade. If your not going to show her (very cute by the way), You can take off or leave what ever you want. I've found putting blankets on them is easy. Like said before, they hate the rain, I would blanket her if it starts to rain. I don't normaly save mine until it's in the 60's at night. Because I live in MT, and it takes a while to get up to that temp, I shave in June. I understand that your girl is warm, and probably does need to be clipped. Watch her at night, if she seems cold, then blanket her.

Best of Luck.

~Gina

Thanks so much for your offer. I would love to see the show clip pics. I have decided to wait

on clipping since she is so young and pretty thin. When I bathed her I could tell just how thin.

However I know my brother in law is going to want that hair off in the next couple months. We have

never had a donkey. She is such a sweetie. While I had her here just this one day , she and my grey

driving mare Dancer bonded. I put Dancer out with her to babysit. She babysits anything. Now she is

heartbroken that the little donkey has gone home. She won't eat. LOL The little Jenny stayed right by

her side all day. Guess she wil just have to learn to handle the horsey yearlings again. lOL I was really

surprized how close they became in one day. I am looking forward to seeing the pics. Thanks again for the

help. Maryann

Maryann,

I can email you some pictures tonight of how I clip my donkes for shows., if you like. It's really easy. I wish showing the mini horses was as easy to get ready for a show
default_yes.gif

I'd LOVE to see pics of a show clipped donkey if ya wouldn't mind sharing! I don't know of ANY shows here for donks, so showing isn't in my near future, but I just think it would be neat to see ;)

Jessi

Sorry I didn't get them on last night. I'll do it for sure tonight. Glad to hear your little girl has a buddie so quick. I love my donkey's. They make me laugh all the time. I'll post them tonight.

[SIZE=14pt]Oh good, I would like to see those show pictures too. My little donks look so ratty right now, I would love to skim the wirey stuff off at least. They would probably flip out like Teri's... :xreiter: :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon[/SIZE]

I dont clip my donkeys either, and I live in northern Wisc. where we get some harsh winters. My donkeys do get stalled at night. I would agree with Teri and Shannon, if I came near mine with the clippers...they would run the other way. They are inquisitive about the clippers when I am clipping the horses. :bgrin Clipped donkeys do look awfully nice, but mine prefer to have the "shaggy" look at this time of the year. Corinne

I was shaving the neck and head of a friends mini last week. I giggled when her donkey came up and was standing there "waiting" her turn. The first time they are shaved, they aren't real sure of it, but I've been shaving ours for a few years. The one that was waiting the day has only been shaved twice. She made me laugh. When I put the clippers away, she looked like she was disapointed. It was cute.

[SIZE=14pt]i clipped Petunia last spring and she was really good, just stood, i thought she might not like it but she didn't care at all and she looked so neat all trimmed up
default_yes.gif
: . you guys might be surprised how well they would do. Nikki[/SIZE]

I agree. The first time I clipped mine, they were a little up set about clipping the legs, other then that they stood really good. They look so nice when they are all clipped up.

I was going to post pictures last night of our Donkeys all clipped up, but I forgot you need a web page to post from :eek: . I can email them tonight to those who want to see what they look like, if you like. I also changed my avatar picture to my mini mule last night, so everyone could see him. He's all clipped up in this picture.

Ok, IF I did this right, here are some pictures of my donkeys at the shows. WAY easier to clip up then the horses
default_yes.gif

This is my mini Jack, Gambler. I wanted to show you how they tails are clipped

241539098.jpg

Jasmin & Roy. She's a friends donkey, and they wanted to leave a little mane on her when she was shown.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1869/8526...7/241539095.jpg

Group picture so you can see how nice they look clipped up

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1869/8526...7/241539093.jpg

Hope this helps.

~Gina

Thank you for posting the pictures. They look so good. Now I want to clip little Susie for

the Brother in law.

But I think I will wait until at least May. What beautiful little guys they are. I need to be

careful. I keep telling my husband I don't need another species around here, but they are

so cute. Maybe just 2?? :new_shocked:

Latest posts

Back