Not your average weight loss thread - Begins Monday, January 28th '13. *Questionnaire Page 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was the OP of the original weight loss thread (I know, this thread is not supposed to be about weight loss...but people will have the mindset that it is)...and I saw how well it did help having to account for yourself by posting on here about your progress...It motivated people to get up and move, eat healthier and feel better! While I had many bumps in the road and only lost 17 lbs total...it did help. Today...I am UP 45 lbs...Yes, you saw that right...Lack of exercise, becoming a couch potato and just not taking care of myself physically...I knew I had gained (obviously), but did not know how much until I was staying at my sister's last month and got on her scale (mine needs a new battery and I had no desire to get one)...and I just cried!

I am at the point where I am thinking of having surgery...I understand the risks, the fact that it is not a "cure all" and all of that, BUT...I feel like once I lose the initial weight, I will be motivated to continue eating more healthy and exercise. At the weight I am, I have NO motivation to do anything...which shouldn't make sense, but yet it does.

I have health issues (mostly physical) that I never had before and I blame it on "age", but really it is caused by OBESITY...and that is just not acceptable to me.
default_thumbdown.gif

Thanks SHM, that is a great example of what the points are/mean/give you to eat, and reading that, encourages people that it IS possible to eat and still enjoy....limiting portion sizes is a big thing that needs to be done.

Oh Linda, I feel so bad for you. (((HUGS))) I really do think that maybe for you the surgery would be something to help you achieve your goals and get you into the proper mindset. Yes, of course you can revert back, as can we all, but with the surgery, to begin with anyway, as then you will be forced to get used to a different way of eating, and hopefully that will be the kickstart you need.

And THANK YOU LInda for starting that thread back in early 2010, because if not for it, I likely would not have lost my 50# I did! (even though I gained nearly 1/2 back!)

reading all of these posts Im beginning to see that losing weight isnt the main issue ,keeping it off seems to be much harder , this really does have to be about changing life style and ,mind set .. I think that is what scares me from starting , Im sure I can do it short term but can I manage the long haul?

Last edited by a moderator:
We does work. I lost 55 pounds in 7 months, but I did gain most back.

Supaspot....you have it right....Most anyone can lose weight if they are on a "strict" diet (and by diet I mean "foods you eat"), careful about how much you eat, exercise, etc. But MOST people do not stay on it for LIFE...for weight maintenance and that is why people think "diets FAIL"...It's not the diet that failed, it was the "after-the-diet" that failed.

It really is a lifestyle change...for your body and mind and most people don't go into it thinking that way...and obviously I am one of those people. I can't wrap my mind around eating mostly healthy foods the rest of my life...and it's not that I don't like healthy foods...I do...It's just that "convenience" foods and "comfort" foods are much more appetizing most of the time.

I do know I do not want to life the rest of my life like my mother did the last part of hers...health-wise. That is my biggest motivator and I have to remember that when I finally decide it make a TRUE lifestyle change...I won't even bother trying if my mind isn't in it for LIFE.

I wish I could live with my brother and sister-in-law for a month and see how they do it....They are vegetarians (well, my brother does eat meat once in a while after being a vegetarian for years, but not at home). They do eat snacks, but they also always have fruits and chopped up veggies to munch on in their house, so it is convenient to grab that instead of something unhealthy. My SIL is a very organized person anyway, tho...and everything is set up in containers ready to go in her fridge...I am not like that...LOL

Anyway...Merry Christmas everyone!
default_yes.gif

I am not sure how this thread works, but i would like to participate in this thread, i have about 10 pounds to loose before spring, and it is tough, I excercise, but i think portion of food control is my biggest issue. has anyone tried the protien diet?

Hello everyone!!
default_saludando.gif
It is very enlightening to see everyones thoughts and comments on this thread. We each have our expectations, desires and hopes for what we might accomplish on this thread. As it's title indicates, this isn't about weight-loss per se...it is about having a support system to wrap our minds around the changes each of us feels we need to make, in order to feel better about ourselves, in some cases our weight, in others our lifestyles, and for some (like me!) all of the above!!

I have a questionnaire of about 50 questions that I've put together using things I learned about MYSELF during my originial weight loss of 220 lbs. During the first 5 years after that original loss...I kept it ALL off. During the last 3 I put 70 back on, and during the last 5 months, have whittled off 26 of those.

I plan on posting the questionnaire on the 7th of January, as I can see by some of the comments that this is a very sensitive topic for many of us. I wanted to give everyone who thought they might like to participate an opportunity to sit down with themselves and really consider what it is that they want to accomplish. To define for themselves what it would take to be considered "successful". For me, the weight loss isn't so much the end goal (though I expect it will be a by-product). For me, it will be making progress toward specific physical goals. For instance, to be able to walk 60 minutes up and down the hill, without having to take 5-7 days to recover. This is just one example of one of mine, I have more!! LOL

This questionnaire is very detailed (about 50 questions), and addresses beliefs about food, self-image, goals, eating patterns, life-style habits, phyical and emotional barriers and a host of other things. Some of you will decide to keep your answers to yourselves, others will share with me, and others will share with us all (which I will be doing.)

I will repeat...I want each of us to be successful by our OWN definition of what that is, and for us to celebrate each others' success. I don't care if it's as simple as "I have decided not to eat _____ anymore, because it makes be feel _____". If that is your goal, you reach it, and assimilate it as a normal part of your life, then we will do this....

default_488.gif
default_cheers.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I very much hope that by starting this thread and supporting each of you, that I can pay forward a little of the support that I've received over the years--here's to us!! Julie

P.S..will the monitors of this forum please touch bases with me?? I need to make sure I don't do anything to get warning points, offend anyone, break rules..well...you get my drift!! Thanks much!

I really need to join this thread! I had a baby about five and a half months ago and was on bed rest for the last three months of pregnancy. I could stand to loose about 10lbs, but for me it is more about toning up. The only place that I really need to loose is my tummy...I can't keep blaming it on the baby forever!

quoting Dragon Wish Farm "define for themselves what it would take to be considered "successful" "making progress toward specific physical goals" now that's a wonderful way to look at it! because by accomplishing the goals which I have set for the new year I will lose weight....and I can throw away the word diet. I've never made a new year resolution per-say but back around Halloween I did! and like you the by product of my end goal would be weight loss, so diet and weight loss won't be my main focus. OK! I'll look forward to your questionnaire.

Thanks Debby! I learned to dislike the word diet from my favorite lasagna eating (cartoon) cat, Garfield. He said....."diet is just the word 'die' with a 't' on the end!"

It's just a funny....'til ya think about it!! I'm glad everyone is willing to join in with such open minds. We want to ENJOY ourselves while we're on this journey of discovering (or in some cases rediscovering) ourselves.

I'm posting this now instead of on January 7th, for a couple of reasons. First, I may have a scheduling conflict that day, and secondly, I believe it's got so much to think about, folks may need a bit more time to assess it all. I'm putting it into a numbered list. I realize it isn't in the most logical order, however, it gets us all thinking.

1. What would you like to accomplish by participating in this thread?
  2. Do want to change your eating lifestyle? If yes, why?
  3. If it is to be weight loss, what is your weight history (were always heavy, gained after having children, accident/physical limitation, got older, yo-yo'd)?
  4. What was your core family's attitude toward eating? (Clean your plate or else, try some of everything, expression of love)
  5. What is your current eating schedule? (Be detailed)
  6. Do you overeat? If so, what triggers it?
  7. What are your current eating habits? (Be detailed)
  8. Do you hide your true eating habits? (For instance, hide empty snack packages under other trash so noone knows you've eaten it)
  9. What are your current barriers to a healthy lifestyle?
  10. Do you have an easily accessible support system?
  11. Do you have people who will try to sabotage your success? (For instance, that one friend who will keep urging "just try one bite, it won't hurt")
  12. Do you have medical or physical conditions that will need to be managed with a professional? If so, what are they? (For example, if your diabetic, we can find GREAT recipes for you!!)
  13. What is a typical day like for you? (Describe it in detail from waking up to going to bed)
  14. What is a typical week like for you? (Describe it in detail as above)
  15. What diets or lifestyle changes have you tried in the past?
  16. If you've dieted before, how was it successful? How or why was it a failure?
  17. Are you physically active? Why or why not?
  18. Do you have medical or scheduling barriers to being physically active?
  19. If you do consider yourself physically active, what does that mean to you? (Please describe in detail)
  20. How much water do you normally drink in a day? (If not AT LEAST 8-8 oz. glasses daily, why not?)
  21. How frequently do you weigh yourself?
  22. If you choose not to weigh yourself, why not?
  23. How do you normally deal with stress? (Eat, drink alcohol, smoke, exercise, call someone, journal)
  24. What are your 5 favorite foods? Why?
  25. What are your 5 favorite fruits?
  26. What are your 5 favorite vegetables?
  27. What are your 5 favorite grains or dried beans? (Barley, rice, black beans)
  28. What are your 5 favorite snacks? Why?
  29. How frequently do you eat out?
  30. If you do eat out, where do you go? (Fast food, casual sit-down, fine dining) Why?
  31. How frequently do you prepare your own meals?
  32. What types of meals do you normally prepare?
  33. If you don't prepare your own meals at least twice daily, why not?
  34. What was the MOST CHALLENGING situation you ever faced, and how did you handle it?
  35. What three accomplishment s are you most proud of? Why? (Be detailed)
  36. How do you handle constructive criticism?
  37. How do you feel if someone comments on your eating habits?
  38. How do you feel if someone comments on your weight?
  39. What was your biggest failure? What did you learn from it?
  40. Who was your best boss ever? Why?
  41. What motivates you? (In general-not necessarily related to weight loss)
  42. How do you deal with disappointments?
  43. How do you deal with failure?
  44. How do you celebrate success?
  45. How do you measure progress?
  46. How do you implement feed/training programs for your horses?
  47. What is your spiritual support system?
  48. If you don't have one, where do you go for spiritual peace?
  49. What are your hobbies? Why did you choose them?
  50. Are you honest with yourself?
  51. Can you look at yourself in the mirror and say 5 positive things? If not now, could you learn to?
  52. Are you willing to be accountable to the other participants of this thread? If you find that you can't, will you tell us?

After we get these questionnaires filled out, I will make some general observations about things that worked FOR ME during my original weight loss of 220 lbs. Some may work for you, others may not. The point is, it will get you thinking about some things that may help you, as well as get you thinking about alternatives for yourself. Please share ideas, that's what this is about!!

The most important thing is that we will all support each other in a loving and positive fashion. If we must make criticisms, we will do our best to present them constructively and without being confrontational. If someone says that they choose to discontinue participation before they've accomplished their goals, we will not judge or make negative comments. We will invite them back with open arms at any time.

I will be available to support anyone who needs a sounding board. If you would like my phone number or email (as mentioned above) please drop me a pm and I will share it with you.

I hope, with all my heart, that we can make this journey together, celebrate our successes, and make changes for the better. As I'd like to be successful, so I would like you to be....Julie

Rats!! Hit enter to post and the library re-booted their computers!!!

What I THINK I said was:

Here is my update today as I promised. I have received one confidential answere to the questionnaire. I will be posting my answers on Monday, January 14th. If anyone else would like to send theirs to me, please do so by Fridaym January 11th. That will give me the weekend to review and find common denominators and make suggestions that may appeal to the broadest group of people. If I receive no other answers, then I will just post what has worked FOR ME, and we'll all go from there!

I'll give you an example: By using smaller plates during the Holidays, I was able to eat everything that I wanted, and I maintained my weight!
default_thumbup.gif
This was the first time in 3 years that I didn't gain AT LEAST 10 lbs. during the holidays (not just from overeating, but combined with less exercise.) This is one tip that many people hear, but often don't give enough creedence to.

Anyway, everyone have a good week, and I'll be checking in and then updating again next Monday....Julie

oh Ill have a good look at this tomorrow (its 1 am right now) need motivation ...feeling fat right now !!!

I've finished my questionnaire.Now how to I get it to you since I can't paste or type into questions?I've got a finished Word doc I can fax or e mail(I think )to you.I've already strted to tackle this issue by making an effort to eat healthier and walk more now that my knee is not screaming in pain with every step.Have set my goal for 6 months from now and looking at those pretty clothes in my closet that will fit by warmer weather.

Hi Bevann--I answered your pm with my email address. Let me know if you didn't receive it and I'll resend.

As far as answering goes, a numbered list with your answers is fine! That's what most have done.

I'm looking forward to getting started on Monday!! Julie

Hello everyone---I've sent several of you pm's and/or emails, since I seem to have misplaced them while I was moving things around in my delirium! LOL

We are going to get started on Monday, January the 28th. For those of you who have decided to participate, I'd like you to go through your cupboards and make a note of all the SNACKS you have. Then, decided which 2 are your favorites, and say "goodbye" to the others!!
default_thud.gif

I'd like to start out with each one of us making a committment to do something new, and the committment will be for only 3 weeks...isn't that simple?? I've already started one, no soda for me at home or at friends. Many of our projects together will be in 3 week increments, as there are many studies that show it takes 21 days/3 weeks to establish a new habit. This is one of the most effective tools I received in management training, and when utilized IT DOES WORK.
default_thumbup.gif

So everyone
default_xreiter.gif
and let's get started!!! YAAAAAAAHOOOOOOO!!!! Julie

Ok I've already started a commitment to do something new too!! No butter for 3 weeks. I hope it will last past the 3 weeks but as of now my mindset is waiting for the 3 weeks to be up....I'm pitiful when it comes to buttah ..remember Mike Meyers Coffee Talk skits?
default_thumbup.gif

Haha, Debby! Buttah ;)

I like butter too, but I also try to watch how much of it I eat. (Yeah...my mom's kind of an 'organic freak'--not really but she wants us to eat right ;))

So maybe after your 3 weeks of not eating butter, then you should try eating less of it than you usually do. Like buttering toast ( same with peanut butter) its doesn't have to be an inch thick--just scrape it on and don't deck it on like my sister does--it has not treated her well ;) When it comes to the more fatty foods, I just try not to eat as much of it as I can. like peanut butter and butter and chocolate--stuff like that. ;) One thing I've kept in mind is; Stay away from junk food, fast food, pop, and fried foods. (and too much sugar and salt). Its okay once in a while of course, just not on a daily basis ;) Also, when I'm feeling full, I stop eating. Always 'leave something on your plate' and don't try forcing it down your throat. Anyway, chow.

So I have to add, I stopped drinking pop for 2 weeks, and Its been 3 months now and I haven't drank a can since! I hope my dentist will be proud ;) lol

Latest posts

Back