not so good day with the ferrier

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

The ferrier was out today and told me that 1 of my horses is extreamly fat and needs to loose weight FAST
default_no.gif

I will do the nessessary things like a grazing muzzle (have 3 of them) no more grain what so ever , and limited dry grass hay.....Is this right for the food department? YES NO

I have a round pen and she is just starting to use it ...how much time at a working trot in the beginning, for a fat shetland ? her fat is all over her back , and its just brown fat right now she could use about 2 or 3 inches off all around. I dont want to stress her knees with the workout. I dont think trotting her over poles right now is a good idea ...is that right?

The other problem is that this ferrier is way too forceful and hard on my ponys. It is always a tramatic expierence for them , and they rear and act badly. He wont use the nippers, he uses a mallot and knife and holds the leg out twisting the knee. I dont want to put my horses through this again, I have asked him to show me how to trim around the toe, and to show me exactly the white line and where I can file.....does anyone on this forum trim their own minis? Is there a book that I can order on how to do this? This ferrier is the only one in this canton (we live in the Alps) so I cant just get another one, and I just can watch him rough up my ponys one more time .
default_no.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
Can anyone please give some advise on trimming???

krissy

There is a video on trimming feet, you can find it on Ozark Mtn. Tack.

Sorry to hear that he was so rough, I don't understand why he wasn't using the nippers.

I just wanted to give my two cents - First Im sorry about the bad day with your farrier and I know first hand what its like to have to use the one you got cause there are not any others in the area - goin thru that myself.

Okay as for tramatic for your ponies - the farrier shouldnt be that much of ordeal IF your horses are used to having there feet messed with etc...

How often do you pick up and clean out their feet ? do you handle their legs on a regular basis and pic them up set them down etc.. frequently ?

I had a full size horse when i started at a big horse farm that evertime she got her feet done they had to sedate her because she hadnt had the proper

handling done to get her accustomed to having her feet or legs in general messed with. I worked with that filly everyday and got to were with out her being tied she would pic up let me clean out each hoof and when the farrier came to trim and she stood just as still and quiet he couldnt believe it was the same horse and since i was the new employee he asked me a few times if that was the right horse like i didnt know for sure but yep it was just took lots of time and patience to get them accustomed to having feet picked up and handled like.

I do all my young horses from day one picking up and touching the legs and feet - I also pat them or tap them with the hoof pic so they get used to that.

So I would recommend that you just take a few min each day to clean feet and dont stop til they stand there quietly. Do one foot at a time if thats what it takes and pick up one and if they stand there still work toward picking up the next one then the next until they are standing for all 4. Its a long process but in the end it will be worth it.

I guess that the mallot and knife is a thing for over there ???? what if you bought nippers and asked him to use your equipement????

You say he is forcefull on them - what does he do I sure hope he is not hitting them or being to mean when they act up a bit. He should have patients.

There are a few books that you can get that show you how and what to do you would have to just google them. I know there is one book here at a local

shop we have that is a farriers manual i have been wanting to get so that I can do my own as well - with the economy here its getting tuff for me to

get all my kiddos done at $40each ! fora trim.

As for your pony - do you have a pic ? your farrier might say that she is way to fat but he might just be used to to thin horses ?

You could just decrease her grain by half and let her be on the pasture for just 5-6hrs aday. and start working her for a bit in the round pen .

start off for about 10min day and work up to 15-20 and see what that does - if you keep working her you will need to up her grain again or the pasture time

or she will become to thin. but just start of slow and see what works for your pony.

I find that if you just cut back on the grain itself and let them eat the grass for a few hours that seems to help them drop weight

but if you pony is easy keeper you might want to put it on a dry lot with limited grass hay and a small amount of grain depending on the size and weight of your pony.

I hope that this helps you out a bit - Im not professional by any means just been doing this horse thing over 20yrs.

Hope that next time your ponies have a better experience with the farrier

Have to add my two cents as well. First off, I have been in the same boat with a farrier that was not very nice to our minis. Minis are not easy to trim, especially for a 6'+ man. The angle that you have to get (pretty much underneath them) is not easy. That being said, there is NO reason that a farrier should be rough with a horse that is used to being trimmed. We had one awesome farrier, when he retired we went through a few horrible ones. The classic thing that I saw happening was a farrier that would try to lift the leg way too high, or twist it the wrong way. The horse would reciprocate and then get in trouble. One farrier even told us that one of our horses (mind you she was NOT a show or breeding animal) might as well just be shot as she wasn't good for anything. He never came back. Sounds like a lot the same attitude you are getting from your current guy.

I was lucky enough to be able to learn how to trim my own minis feet. It makes things a heck of a lot easier, and cheaper :) However I never work on a horse that has any sort of "issues" that need correcting. My advice would be to buy the video mentioned above and also try to find someone, maybe a trainer in your area, etc that you can learn a little from.

If your horses are normally well mannered with thier feet, but have to deal with a farrier that "doesn't click" it will make for a battle each and every time.

Good luck.

Kira thanks for the tip... I pick my horses feet everyday, and handle their legs etc, I even do this loose in the pasture , its no problem ..however I hold their feet pretty low , and I have a soft hand. I think holding the feet up so high was the problem . I stood on the reverse side to help balance them today so they wouldnt tip over..make sense ? my pasture is almost without grass, I guess she is an extream easy keeper. I took her off the pasture an hour ago , and they normally sleep in a stall with access to a grass less smaller pasture from 5 pm till morning. We did about 10 min of working trot this morning in the round pen, and will do the same tomorrow . After breakfast I will put a muzzle on her before she goes to the pasture. Hope this works.. she does look like a tick.. she is fat ..the ferrier is right. I massage and handle legs all the time , you are right It is important to be able to touch and mess with your horse. Even the young kids in town pick their feet...so I have to believe its just him. his helper holds the leg with a lot of force, they just arent use to the force I guess. I wouldnt like it either.

I agree with what has already been said. However You may want to have her Thyroid checked. Thyroid can cause overweightness or a horse to be under weight. Just a thought, however the best thing is exersise.

Krissy,

Yep it could be your farrier then ! I had one that was doin a young colt for the first time that jabbed him in the belly with a rasp because he wouldnt stand still
default_no.gif
well needless to say i yelled at that guy told him to pack up his tools get the #$%^ off my property and i was NOT goin to pay him

and then i continued to tell him that you dont do that to a young horse let alone any horse specially if its there first time getting a trim!!!!

I think that maybe you should SPEAK UP to your guy the next time he comes and ask him politely to try to accomidate the horse a bit more

My guy i use now has this adjustible stand that he lays the hoof in after he pics it up so that its at a good height for the horse ! pretty cool and he has the regulare hoof stand for doing the finishing rasping etc...

If you guy has a prob accomidating the horses then theres a major problem there he isnt willing to work with you and just does things his way.

I had no problem telling this new farrier im using not to pick up my stallions back foot to ruff cause it has been injured in the past he was like no problem

my boy stands there just good as gold - the other guy didnt listen andhe would move around cause he was uncomfy.

Maybe you could build a ramp up to a raised makeshift stocks for the minis to stand in so that their lil feet are at a height that your farrier could just pick them up and he wouldnt be to far bent over

- i have thought about doing this just not gotten around to it ! I dont have much time to do to much - im in for lunch right now sittin down just relaxing for a few. then back out to do more horse stuff today.

I hope that they get treated a bit better this next time. I wish that I still had my farrier that I used when i was in the city and not were i live now

he was great - he actually sat on the ground to do my minis ! they were all pretty well behaved and he just sat right there and pick there feet up he laughed the entire time cause he wasnt use to that always having to be on gaurd for one to do something silly. My boys were pretty laid back n quiet or he wouldnt have done that.

let us know how the next ordeal with the farrier goes I hope for you and your horses that its way better !

The weight issue is going to be a long process for sure. Don't cut back her feed to the point it creates other problems that can be worse.

As for the farrier sounds like like you should try using the mallot on him. LOL Our first farrier was a friend of ours and he was terrible with our minis. A big guy that just thought he needed to manhandle them right from the start. Next farrier was better with the horses but still not fond of working with minis. I started doing our own and had a farrier that was a mini owner for a backup if I had problems or needed help. Biggest issue with doing your own is making the plunge and actually doing it. If you have been watching and know what the end result your looking for is that will be a big help. You might even get your farrier to watch you so he doesn't have to do them again! Of course he will want to be paid.

Good luck

Mark

Biggest issue with doing your own is making the plunge and actually doing it. Mark
This is so true. My farrier of 2-3 years left in December to go to Vet Tech school and since I live in the middle of nowhere, I had no farrier. I got behind, but finally got started and its not too bad trimming your own. I recently found a farrier, but he isn't fond of working on the minis, so I'll probably just have him trim the saddle horses for me. [it takes me awhile, but I can get all the minis done without too much trouble.]

{{{hugs}}} Sounds like it was a rough day!

I am a totally novice miniature horse owner. I've never owned a horse before April 5th of this year. So, you can take my input for what it's worth.

We had our first farrier visit on May 9th. What got my attention the most was how quiet, calm and gentle he was with our two girls. When our yearling got a bit "rowdy", he jokingly told her "I've been sat on by much bigger than you! You're not impressing me at all." He later went on to tell us that he regularly trims and shoes large breed horses like Percherons, Clydesdales and Gypsy Vanners (sp).

Anyway, each time she fussed up, he waited her out. He calmly moved his tools over to where she ended up and started again.

Are you limited to this one farrier? If not, I'd be trying someone else out. At a minimum, I'd get another opinion on your pony's condition before I made any changes, radical or otherwise.

Good luck....

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice so far.

I just wanted to sympathize with you. The first farrier I had for my minis was horrible and I refused to let him do anymore than two feet on one horse. I kicked him out and had to find another farrier. It took several but I have an awesome one now. He is the the best. Does my minis and my half draft. Treats them all with respect. Even did my goat before I learned how. LOL. Keep your chin up and ask around. You may be able to find another one.

The ferrier we use is great with our minis. I might suggust go to the garden department of a store and see if they have the kneeing pads youo strap over your knee and give them to your ferrier. Our ferrier uses his all time at our place and knees on the ground. Most of our horses and pretty good, but do act up in cool weathera little.

I don't know if he trims alot of minis but our 10 but he is around 5 feet tall so not a little guy and trims a lot of big horses and owns big horses does trail and endurance riding with his.

Thanks everyone...all the advise is great. Its just a bad connection with this guy , I am so soft and gentile , and he just quickly has his side kick hold the foot up tightly , and I really believe they were sore after. I picked their feet today and everyone willingly gave up a hoof without being tied or haltered. I will learn how to do this , I do know what its suppose to look like after , as I have always been there for the ferrier. I have had some great ferriers in California, and you are right , it doesnt have to be difficult or painful. My horses made it clear that this guy isnt working for them. Its my job now to listen to my ponys , and do something new for them , and thats what I intend to do.

about my overweight mare. I cant feel her ribs, I do feel she is overweight. we are on day 3 of lunging , only 5 min per side at trot, she was slow today , dont know if its the feet , or its too much . I will give her a day or two rest, and go back to more round pen and see how it goes. thanks for the advice on not being too radical on the restriction. I will let her out on the short grass pasture , and after an hour or so will put a grazing muzzle on her, and no grain for a while to see how it goes. Funny that all the others are fine , and she is so fat, the vet will be here to float the donkeys teeth in a week or so , I will ask him, and have a little blood drawn for the thyroid...THANKS for that suggestion. I love my kids , I dont have real kids (human) so these are my children , and I love them with all of my heart , I will do anything for them. They are my teachers in life too, its important to listen to them, they can only use body language , so we have to watch that carefully . I would be lost in life without a fuzzy butt to hug and kiss.

I do mini horse farrier work for my county because their really is'nt a farrier around to do the minis. And if they do, they are rough, pass on minis, complain about doing it, or even charge the same $$$ as full sized horses. I do aprox 150 mini horses, mini donkeys, mini mules, & goats and everyone of my clients are super happy with my visits. And to top it off, at least 1/2 of them are foundered. I always interduce myself to the animal so that way he or she is confertable with me there, I talk to the owners and show them about the foot and if theres a problem I address it in a friendly and educational way that way they understand, and if I get bite or kicked, I dont get mad, I show in a stern voice that it is not accepable and continue with the job. I do breaks if needed with foundered cases and at the end everyone gets lovings and a biscute for doing a great job. I also check teeth for folks because most of them dont know that the teeth have to be floated and let them know about hooks and show them and let the know about having a equine dentist taking a look at them. I also dont charge for foals that are under 4 months as well so thats always a perk. I NEVER PUT ANYONES ANIMAL DOWN OR TELL THEM SOMETHING NEGITIVE, only answer truefully about any questions that I am asked in a friendly manner. The main thing is to leave a persons farm with a confidence that I did a awesome job that he or she felt satisfied with the work that I preformed and that the animal was not stressed in anyway.
default_thumbup.gif

Awsome...want to visit us in Switzerland ?? where did you learn how to do this? I didnt realize goats needed trims too . i think its great to educate your customers. I had an awsome ferrier in california ..Jeff, he was the same , talked to the horse, got to know the horse and its owner, showed you what he was doing and why. everyone , every horse loves him ..
default_wub.png

I actually learned by looking at the hoof and using my minis as ginnie pigs. I just used common sense that just like my fingernails, you can only go so far. I started doing my big horse when I was 14 yrs old and took care of her feet till we sold her when I was 18. Than when I was 24, I got my 1st mini and started doing his feet as he had really long hoofs. Then I started doing the farm that I got him from and word got around that I do such a great job and since than, I do almost everyones. I love doing it even though it is hard on my back, but someone has to do it and I enjoy it and love to see the end result, I take great pride in my work. I also like to help the folks out with the foundered minis. I had a lot of practice with one mini mare in particular that was a rescue case that I learned so much from. After just over a year fixing yrs of neglect, her little long elf shoes where back to as normal as they will ever get and at 20 yrs old, she now has a forever home down south where she lives in confert and warm with her new owner. And as far as my others that I do now with founder issues, they are all working progresses as I just started this year really advertizing farrier services to helping out folks, and you can already see awesome results of the slow progress to getting back their almost normal feet again.

I also see other cases while doing feet where I also try to give advise to help out is halters, collers, and "dog" harnesses being way to tight and being inbedded as well. I have seen 2 cases in the last month where I have seen severe inbeeded halter on a mini stud colt, and a dog harness on a goat. Both cases where not because of animal neglect/abuse, but because of not understanding that a animal grows out of their halters. At 1st I thought to myself, how could you not tell, but after looking at both situations, both owners are city folks that bought these animals for their children and just are not educated. And when I brought it to their attention, both animal where imedintly seen by a vet and taken care of. And both owners look at halters and collers/harnesses differently now.

I also personally to my minis only float their teeth, clean their wee wees, and give shots/vacs BUT never do anyone elses minis as that is illeagl to practice as I am not a certified vet. Ive always wanted to be a vet, but never chased that dream so being a mini horse owner has filled that spot for now and helping folks with farrier needs, makes me feel good that I still can help out the public. I also work at a farm supply store as well.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back