Not again! I'm getting so tired of finding sick horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
What IS it in the last two months with going out to feed and finding horses that I left perfectly fine, suddenly sick??
default_wacko.png
Spyder is eating fine now, bright-eyed and cheerful, but this morning Kody's got some sort of neurological problem! He seemed normal when I let the dog out, walking quickly up to the fence and tossing his head while he stared at me and demanded breakfast. But when I went out to feed something was a little off as he backed away from the gate for me and when I went to give him a treat for doing a nice halter stretch he suddenly jumped away from my hand and practically fell over as he did!
default_new_shocked.gif
Of course major alarm bells went off in my head upon seeing that and as I tried to close with him he continued to shy sideways and stumble in the hind end. I finally got him to stand still and he let me run my hand down all his limbs (standing solidly at that point) but when I offered him another treat he shied to the other side and again wobbled and stumbled in the back end. He then led me down to the barn at a good clip, moving pretty normally and even breaking into a trot, but every time he stopped he'd have to catch himself.

He's obviously been playing with both his pasture toys today and was perfectly fine at 11PM last night, rearing with good balance and laying down easily and doing all his tricks. Whatever this is hit fast and doesn't seem to be affecting his personality, only his control of his body. He cleaned up last night's dinner and wants food and treats this morning but acts like they're going to electrify him if he touches them.

If I'm really lucky it will turn out to be an inner ear infection or something else stupid and easy to fix. I don't think EPM or West Nile comes on this fast or that he'd be playing with his toys and acting so normally otherwise if he had one of those. But I'm still freaking out and would really appreciate good thoughts until the vet gets here!
default_pray.gif
Maybe it's something in the new bale of hay I opened last night except that Spyder seems fine and he's been eating it too....

Leia

OH NO!!!! Prayers and best wishes, my friend! Poor fella! Doesn't sound normal in any way for that boy.
default_pray.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg

I sure hope it isn't anything serious. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Mary

Two things come to mind....EPM - which DOES come on really fast.... or Rabies.

If it is rabies - he will quickly have a change in disposition.

I had a mare that when I left for a show was absolutely fine. Got home from the show 2 1/2 days later and she couldn't walk, was a walking bag of bones. She wobbled terribly on the rear end, where it appeared with every step she would fall over sideways. Luckily she responded quickly to the medicine (by quickly I mean that she was able to stand without falling--but it took almost 6 months before she was 'normal')

None of the other horses got it - but it could be that she ate some grass that an opossum or armadillo or raccoon peed on. We have a lot of all 3 around here. Which is why I have a shotgun ready to go at all times.

Testing for EPM costs almost as much as the treatment. We immediately put her on the generic form of medicine without doing any tests and since she responded, we knew that's what she had.

Call your vet immediately !!!!!!!!

Good thoughts coming your way, glad to hear your big horse is doing well. I wonder about some sort of inflammation around the spine. . .his behavior is certainly strange, though.

OHHH!!! Sending good thoughts your way. I hope it isn't something seriousand it's something htat is easily treated for both you and Kody's sake. Please keep us updated.

You might want to check for horsetail weed in your hay.

If you go to the website you'll be able to see a picture of what it looks like.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/...cord.asp?id=20#

"Toxicity: Field horsetail is reported as very toxic to livestock. Animals poisoned by this plant are said to have "equisetosis", a phenomenon documented on several continents and throughout the world. In monogastric animals such as horses, consumption of field horsetail can cause vitamin B1 deficiency. This species also contains high levels of toxic alkaloids. Sheep and cattle are more likely to be poisoned by fresh plants, while horses are more susceptible to poisoning from contaminated hay. General symptoms of poisoning include weakness, lack of coordination, and difficulty breathing."

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh how terrible. My thoughts are with you and please let us know how things go with the vet as soon as you can.

Oh, Leia...I'm so hoping it turns out to be an inner ear thing or something else upsetting, but not too serious.

Did you check for any branches from toxic trees/plants that may have blown into his corral? This strange weather could bring in something from quite a distance.

Energies directed toward Kody -- get better...NOW!

Leia,

Many years ago we raised thoroughbreds for the track. We had a three year old filly that had a couple of wins and then one day we found her in her stall. Every time she raised her head, she staggered sideways and nearly fell. We had the vet out and all we ever found was severe tenderness at her poll. She had put her head through a stall guard and then in the panic of pulling away, put pressure on the connection between her skull and spine. With anti-inflammatories she recovered well and ran again. It was very scarey and there were no signs except the inability to stay on her feet when she lifted her head. She could have killed or crippled herself! Not saying it's your answer, but certainly something to look for. Good luck to you and to Kody and please keep us posted.

Dorothy

My first thought was Rabies also.

I had an Arabian about 30 years ago that had rabies. He went from perfectly fine the night before, then the next morning alot of the symptoms you describe. Jean is right, if it is rabies, it will effect him very quickly.

I truely hope that it is something simple with your boy.

I'm so sorry Kody's not feeling well. Let us know when you can, we're all keeping you in our thoughts!

Liz

Latest posts

Back