Northern Lights!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
I'm very excited! After trying and missing (mostly due to weather) for TEN years, I finally saw the Aurora Borealis last night. Amazing, breath taking...

There are supposed to be some pretty severe geomagnetic storms in the coming days. The lights could be visible much farther south than usual. Spaceweather.com has the details.

It's worth a little lost sleep to see them at least once! I'm going to be up and looking again tonight, and am going to fiddle around with my cameras to see if I can get a clear picture of them. It's really awesome!

We had a pretty spectacular show of them her last night also. The best I have ever seen were several years ago when we were moose hunting in the artic watershed. We have seen them many times but that one was the most impressive.

That's exciting!!! Did you see colors or the greenish glow???

MA

PS: Just got off the phone with Larry. He's on his way from an astonomical outing near Mountain Home, Idaho. He said the Northern Lights were fantastic last night!

I also took a peek into one of his astronomy forums and everyone is excited about the next few days because of the unusual solar storms happening. So all of us in the northern half of the US and folks in Canada should be getting a good show. The best time to view is supposed to be around midnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen them, out in the back field. Apparently if the conditions are right you can see them almost anywhere. It was unreal- I can't really even describe it. At first I thought "Oh, well, a bit disappointing" Then I saw more and more - you can see why people talk of it "Dancing" Had to come away in the end as I had work to do, never happened again- that was thirty years ago.

The most awesome displays I have ever seen, were when I lived in Northern Alberta. OMG...There were time I would have to pull over on my way to work, and just watch in awe!!

I can even remember a few times in the winter, after dragging out the lawn lounger, actually getting bundled up in my winter suit, and parka, laying out on the deck to watch natures show.
wacko.gif
The COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
wub.gif

Here in Nova Scotia, we do still get to see them, but they are nowheres near as vibrant and beautiful as they are further North. But it still isn't worth the cold...I am staying here, this time.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We were watching them here last night too--they put on a pretty good show. They were a bit greenish last night, but a lot of times they're just "white"--last year we were getting some pinks & reds in them, but only once have I ever seen them where the whole sky was RED with them, and that was a long time ago. Colors or not, I enjoy watching them when they really get running.

About 4-5 years ago, my husband (then fiance) called me on the phone and told me to go outside. Even in town (he lived in the country) the sky was aglow with bright, intense reds and purples. I've only seen the green or white glow since.

I've only seen them once 30 years ago. It was kinda scary, had NO IDEA what it was.

But once I woke Mom up she knew, so I could relax and enjoy it.

It was Breathtaking!

whitney said:
I've only seen them once 30 years ago.  It was kinda scary, had NO IDEA what it was. 
But once I woke Mom up she knew,  so I could relax and enjoy it. 

It was Breathtaking!

465770[/snapback]

Know exactly what you mean! The first time Larry and I saw the Northern Lights we were living in Eastern Oregon -- 25+ years ago. We had NO CLUE what we were seeing at first. Thought the world was coming to an end or something!
laugh.gif
Then, Larry pulled himself together with his former astronomical knowledge and realized what it was and we were able to just enjoy it.

Was kind of like the first time I ever experienced a "Harvest Moon" as a little girl. I thought the moon was going to crash into the earth!
new_shocked.gif

MA

I've only seen them once 30 years ago. It was kinda scary, had NO IDEA what it was.
I see them all the time, haven't much recently, but have seem them plenty of times since I've lived in Michigan. You just need to go outside more at night, because they are there
biggrin.gif
I tend to see them better "up north" though.

Latest posts

Back