non-shedding mini foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHgirl

Reaction score
With my big horses, the foals always shed out to their color-to-be within a few months. My mini foals, born in June and July, are still very woolly, and have only shed out a bit around their faces. Do they not shed out until their the yearling year? I know I could body clip, but have not done so. Just think it is strange that they would be different from my big ones. Thanks for any thoughts!
default_smile.png

With my big horses, the foals always shed out to their color-to-be within a few months. My mini foals, born in June and July, are still very woolly, and have only shed out a bit around their faces. Do they not shed out until their the yearling year? I know I could body clip, but have not done so. Just think it is strange that they would be different from my big ones. Thanks for any thoughts!
default_smile.png
My babies born in April and May always shed out pretty good before winter. But I've bought a couple that were born in June/July and they dont seem to shed out all their baby hair til the next spring. Depending on where you live and when winter comes, they can be clipped. But I dont here in a cold state for winter. Its hard to wait til spring.

Marsha

I really don't have an answer for your question, but horses are born with the coat that the mare dictates. If it is chilly at night and even hot during the day, the foal will be born with a wooly coat, if it is hot during the day and hot during the night for an extended period the foal will be born with a short coat. Leave the coat for now and clip it next spring if needed. Mother nature knows best on how to protect the foal. Just my opinion.

I don't know how it will fair for you, but....I had foals that were born in August and early September in the past. Thought the same thing, "maybe they will hold onto their foal coat until spring"....WRONG! They shed out in November that year, by the handfull. Thats when I noticed Pintos seem to sometimes have this odd habit of having their white hair shed out quicker than their colored areas. I wanted to paste their hair back on that year.

If it is still warm enough at night to clip them where you live, I would probably clip them with an 8-10 blade, at least on the body so they can grow out their new coat before it gets too cold.

I have had foals in the past that didn't shed baby hair until almost 2.I had to give them a really BAD haircut in the very hot weather of their yearling summer.IMO each is individual.If you are going to clip I would try using a #4 blade dog groomers use them and it leaves more hair to get ready for winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!! Carolyn - I hate the fact that in the Spring a friendly stroke/pat/scratch on my coloured mares produces a cloud of white hairs, whereas the coloured hair stays stuck very firmly to their skin!!

None of my foals shed their foal and first winter coats until the following Spring (apart from areas on their faces). But then most of my mares are either British Mini Shetlands or part bred the same, and they are always getting there own winter coats by the end of July most years.

The weather we have here doesn't allow for clipping foals during their first summer - they would never make up enough coat growth before the winter months. So I guess it will depend upon where you live and how soon winter is going to arrive, as to whether you think about clipping or not.
default_yes.gif

I've had big horse foals as well as mini foals, and the mini foals take a LOT longer to shed out than the big foals.

I live in Texas and have in the past had foals born in March, April, and June. I find here that mine do not shed until the following spring. I am so glad I clipped this year's colt Lil Newt born March 6. With the unrelenting triple digit temps we had here he would have been miserable. He was born looking black but it was obvious the hair underneath was silver. I used a 10 blade and actually left most of the hair on his legs to protect him from flies. He turned out looking like a silver bullet. That hair has now morphed into a good start on a winter coat (ha,ha only a few days ago we got our first day below 100 degrees). He is obviously a blue roan just like my stallion. The legs shed out this summer and are black. I do not know if he would have shed on his body or not had I not clipped him.

I have a little colt who has just turned one and he still has his beautiful fluffy baby coat.
default_wub.png
With the warmer weather about to arrive I guess he will lose it. Alas. Love fluffy baby coats.
default_wub.png

Back