Non-Climb Horse Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeckyG

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Hi, [/SIZE]

I am looking for info about non-climb horse fencing.

For those of you who have (or have had) it…… what is your evaluation?

Have you had problems such as getting hooves stuck?

There seems to be 2 kinds the “V-Mesh” and the “2 x 4” Mesh”.

Which do you think is better in regards to:

1)Safety & effectiveness first…..

2) but also installation & maintenance, too

Thanks!!

Becky

I have the 2x4 no-climb around all horse enclosures. I personally love it. The downside is that young foals can get a hoof in it if they try. I've never had a mature mini get in it in any way. When you install it make sure you know which side is supposed to be on the inside. There IS a difference. Our support posts are 12' apart and they can put a bit of a bend in it if they rub their butts a lot. But if you get it tight enough you won't have that problem. We used our tractor to pull it.

A mini most certainly CAN get their hooves into no-climb.

We have primarily no-climb, but used a length of the V-mesh behind the barn where it isn't seen.

I wish I had the v-mesh all the way around, because Mingus can wedge his "toes" in the supposed no-climb, which then forces the wires apart. (Granted, he has rather small hooves for a 38" mini, but I think any horse could eventually do what he did, given the proper motivation.)

He would then stand on the horizontal wires, which cut into his hooves. We solved the problem by adding hotwire, but the v-mesh would have prevented. It also is a much sturdier, more rigid fence.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the 2x4 fencing and Goldi also got her foot in it one time. It was really scary because someone driving by saw her laying down by the fence and thought it was strange and knocked on my door. Luckily I was home and ran out, but by the time I got out there, she was up and about. I was able to see where the fence was bent open. Really surprised me, because I though it was suppossed to be the safest fence. Haven't had any problems since, but it still worries me.

By far if you can afford it I would go with the V type.

I have 2x4 everywhere and watched my small AMHA suckling colt (while playing with his pasture mate) stick his foot thru the 2x4 with no issues - thankfully he got his own foot free just as easily as he put it thru - he got it out before I even got to the fence line.

On a side note - the thinner gage 'goat 2x4 wire' is not strong enough for the minis - when I moved in I hired the inital fencing in of the 'backyard' and the fencing contractor talked me into the 'goat' would be ok for minis
default_wacko.png
(which I did not own yet but knew it was a matter of time) - well it wasn't esp with my small space they not only rubbed/bowed it between each post (8 ft apart) but found where 2 sections tied together and made a great escape twice.

Ive since replaced about 80% of the orginally installed stuff with the 'horse 2x4' type adding in wood posts set in concrete every 8 ft and t posts in the middle of these and a 2x4 top rail at 4'6 and a middle rail at 30 inches (apx 'butt height') with much greater success at keeping everyone safe.

Eventually I'll get the remaining turn out paddock replaced.

Me again. I've been puzzled by some of the responses so I checked into things a bit more. I'm pretty darn sure a mini whose hoof was bigger than the opening could not get their hoof through my fence. But it seems others have had this experience. I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if the brand of fence makes a difference? Ours is not the welded type. Our is a brand called Redbrand - it actually has a strand of red wire across the top. It's extremely tough stuff. As I said we had to use our tractor to stretch it. I even used it for our big horses, including my Belgian, and even they didn't bend or dent it when they kicked at it. This stuff will get a very slight bow in an area of the horses constantly scratch their butts on it, but there are NO areas where the 2 x 4 holes bent or out of shape where a horse could get their foot through.

I don't know if I'm making any sense or not, just trying to clarify.

For minis no climb is great! For ponies, not so, I have a filly who has pushed down on the no climb, hasn't hurt it but bent it. LOL!

I too have the red brand no climb horse fencing that StarRidgeAcres describes and have it stretched between posts that we drove using a post driver, attached the wire to the posts with staples. The redbrand wire is very tough stuff. I love it. I also added a single strand of 2 inch wide white electric tape on the inside to keep their butts off the fence and use a solar fencer becides, but I also have a training area I just put in this year using the same fencing, but no hot tape on the training pen. Works great for me.

Parmela,

I also have the Redbrand 2x4 fencing and it is very tight and strong. I do have some 2x4 fencing of a cheaper brand to keep my Jack Russells from getting through the Cattle Panel fencing, and while it keeps the dogs in, I am sure a Mini could spread the wires apart.

Sue
default_smile.png

Our is a brand called Redbrand - it actually has a strand of red wire across the top. It's extremely tough stuff. As I said we had to use our tractor to stretch it. I even used it for our big horses, including my Belgian, and even they didn't bend or dent it when they kicked at it. This stuff will get a very slight bow in an area of the horses constantly scratch their butts on it, but there are NO areas where the 2 x 4 holes bent or out of shape where a horse could get their foot through.
Parmela,

Mine is Red Brand woven wire as well and I was very surprised that Goldi got her foot stuck in it, but it was the very lowest square that was bent out on either side. Goldi is also a not actually mini sized, she has grown to about 40" and has a pretty big hoof as well. I mentioned it to my farrier too and he was very surprised she was able to do it. Our fence also is bowed out in between posts where they scratch their butts!

I'm thinking that it was just an isolated incident, since it's never happened again.

Jen

I think a lot depends on the gauge of fence wire used in the 2x4. I told my fencer I wanted the heaviest gauge there was and have not had a problem in 10 years. And you should see how my mares SIT on it when shedding! No foals have ever gotten a foot through. It doesn't have any areas where the wires have spread.

I have seen some lighter weight 2 x 4 no climb which didn't hold up very well.

Ours is on T posts with welded pipe corners. T posts hold up better than wood in this soil.

Charlotte

We have Red Brand...48 inches high with heavy duty t-posts. Everything is very heavy duty.

...we just happen to have a very determined, creative horse! (The others don't do this). You should have seen what he did to field fencing! Hah!

Mingus doesn't stick his hoof through, per se, but instead he angles his hoof into the 2x4 opening so that the front part of the hoof gets a toehold, then puts his weight on it. Eventually the vertical wires move apart, giving him more space between them to stand and plot how to get to that grass.

Over the years we have tried and used just about all of the different types of fencing. They all had one problem or another till we finally have settled on 2"x4" 52" tall livestock panels for about 85% of the farm. They are strong, resist rubbing bulges, climbing and last forever. Some sections of the panels are 8 years old and still holding up well. You might want to consider them.

We too use the Redbrand 2x4 knotted mesh and just finished hanging it last weekend. We have wood posts and my husband has the scars from the barbed staples he used, but the tractor and a home made stretcher pulled it tight and each post is securely stapled in place. We placed ours on the inside of the posts and hung it even on the ground with no gap, so feet and muzzles can't push under. We have lots of dogs around here too and & I don't want to give them an inch for temptation to get the mini's.

I have no experience with it yet, as my boys are still boarded, but will come home soon enough to test it I am sure. I couldn't afford the V-Mesh and no one around here carries it, so freight was ridiculous.

I have the 2x4 no-climb along one stretch of fence line. It's coming down this spring. I've had 2 horses get their legs through it and I had to cut them out. Both times it was when "boys" were fighting through the fence and kicking at the fence. They are able to get their hoof and leg through all the way past the hock and then when they try to pull it back through of course their hock is flexed and they can't. I have regular field fence on most of my property and yes they can get their foot through it.....but it's big enough blocks they pull it right back out again. If I were re-doing all my fencing I would go with the v-mesh.

It is hard to beat 2X4, heavy gauge, V mesh fencing; properly installed, it is probably the best mesh ('tied', NOT welded) wire fencing there is for horses. It is also, historically, probably the most EXPENSIVE, tied mesh wire fencing--I know it was as long as 35 years ago, when we built our first arena--and am betting that hasn't changed!

It is the 'properly installed' part that is very important! As others have noted, it needs to be properly STRETCHED(as does ANY 'tied' mesh fencing; I have seen people say they just 'rolled it out and stapled/tied it to the posts'--but this will NOT hold up to use, and will sag and be easy to bend over!

Also--most ANY 'tied' mesh fencing, whether V mesh OR 'horse wire'-the tied 2X4" opening kind, also now known as 'no-climb', I suppose---needs to be mounted either on sturdy, closely-set posts, or, better, should have a 'back up' of pipe, or even wood( protected from chewing by being 'under' the wire) 'horizontal pieces, best placed at the height that the animals being confined are most likely to 'lay' upon it to rub/scratch; the 'drawback' of good mesh fencing is that the animals LOVE to use it to scratch themselves, and the 'better' it is, the more heavily they feel free to 'lean' upon it!

I can see how the 1/4" welded livestock panels, with only 2x4" openings, would be VERY sturdy...but I can still see foals getting their hooves stuck in them--and I SHUDDER to think what they would cost! Nowadays, though, I imagine it's possible they *might* not be that much more? than say, 12 1/2 ga.,2x4" V mesh?? I know both would be out of MY price range, today!

Margo

Not to belabor a point or to bash Red Brand or other woven no-climb fencing...

...but I watched Mingus at work, and he could have stood up on even the rigid 2x4 panels or with t-posts every two feet. It wasn't a matter of how the fencing was installed -- it's simply that he could wedge just enough of his hoof in to stand on it.

Now if only they'd add rock wall climbing to obstacle classes, we'd clean up!

[SIZE=8pt]This is all Great Info and Very Helpful!!! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thank You !!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Susanne, I am guessing that Mingus is quite a character! ( LOL )[/SIZE]

Back