no patience at the feed tub

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskie

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on how to manage the poor behaviour that has just started. My 6 month old is a real monster at the feed tub. I can barely get the feed down near the tub when she comes in like she has not seen food for days. Am trying to hold her back with my arm until I at least manage to get the feed in to the tub but need help on how to curb this bad behaviour. She doesn't bite / kick, will let me near her when eating but does immediately put her rear in the way as to mark the territory. Thanks for your help!

I don't appreciate being crowded up either and I really don't like anyone's butt aiming at me. .Tie her up! Tie her up over her feeder so she can reach her food easily. The dump her feed into it. Then take two hands on her and shove her over and claim the space as your's. Let her eat nicely with you standing right there. Praise, untie her and back to business.

I never allow the horses to approach any feed (hay or their pelleted feed) until I give them the go ahead. I will not place the feed until they back away and wait politely. Then they must wait until I step away before going to eat. Once they are eating I will approach and scratch their neck occasionally but for the most part I just leave them to enjoy their meal in peace. With a baby like yours, she just doesn't know any different and just like she needs/needed to learn that kicking and biting are not okay she needs to be gently but firmly (sometimes firmly means its not quite so gently if they push me) taught to have manners at dinner time. I'm wondering if she shares with another horse so she has learned she must get the feed while she can or loose out? If that is the case I suggest feeding alone, that should help alleviate some of this problem. For horses who crowd me I will first turn and face them, make myself big and growl or hiss at them to stop their approach. If that doesn't work I will march into their chest to back them away each time they enter my bubble (I like at least 2 preferably 3 feet of space) For the really determinedly pushy ones(rarely the case with a baby) a swat across the chest (never the head) with a crop (I really like the ones with the folded leather ends that make a nice popping sound) is usually enough to really make my point clear.

I hate being pushed around when I'm trying to dump food. Most of our horses know better even babies stand patiently at their buckets until you dump the feed. And most of the time we dump food first and then let them in. One of our stallions used to be SO pushy. To the point where you'd try to hang a bucket and he'd shove his head in it so hard he yanked it out of your hand. I usually just push the horses away with him it didn't work because he pushes back lol so he got swatted quite a few times. There are a lot of ways to fix this. Push her back. Make her backup a few steps. Put a halter on her and make her stand patiently for a minute before you let her eat. And the occasional swat on the nose or neck teaches a thing or two. Don't be scared make her know that its your space and she needs to wait

What Marty said....tie him up. Easiest way and also best passive resistance horses understand. Push and the horse pushes back!!

l had a heck of a time with the new yearling stallion rushing at the feed bucket the first week he was here...so being too lazy to go in and tie for every meal which isn't hard but a pain if you don't have to do it that way..l just passed him by if he came up close and started to get in to much of a rush making me spill most of it because he acted like he must not have had pebbles for weeks on end..so once he was settled in for a few days l'd come to scoop his feed in and if he didn't back of when l pointed my finger and said na aa l just walked away and would just not feed him his pebbles and let him watch me feed the others while he did a lot of yelling to come back...on the third day he got the drift and stayed a few feet back when l'd come with my bucket point my finger and say na aa and just stood while l scooped his feed then put his head in when l said good boy..he didn't go hungry during that time either as he had 24/7 free choice hay.

Hi you said "when she comes in" does that mean she is out grazing all day? I ask because I wondered what she eats all day. A weanling eats a LOT.

Latest posts

Back