Newbie Registration questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
We bought our 12 yr old daughter a mare in foal a year ago. Her registration was transferred to our daughter. The owner passed along a registration form (partially filled out) for the foal, but I find I'm not clear on it, so my questions are...

1. Does my daughter needs to apply to be a AMHR youth member BEFORE registering the foal?

2. Am I correct to assume we don't send in anything for registration at his current age of 5 weeks?

3. Since we plan to have this colt gelded (vet says not before he's weaned), doesn't it make sense to wait to register him once he's gelded?

Thanks for your help-

LG

A youth membership is not valid for doing registry work. If you have a regular membership I believe that is sufficient--your daughter's paperwork can be done under your membership. If no family member is a member then you will have to buy a regular membership for your daughter (or yourself). A regular $65 membership is required before registry work can be done.

You can register the foal now, at 5 weeks, if you wish or you can wait. I usually register mine in the fall, just because I don't usually get around to taking their registry photos before then, but I have registered a few at a younger age.

It's a matter of choice if you register the colt now and then send his papers in to change him from stallion to gelding later, after he's gelded, or if you just wait & do both the registration and the gelding certificate at the same time--cost will be the same either way. If you don't have a membership and are buying one just to do the registration then it probably is best to wait until he is gelded & do it all at once. If you become a member now & register him, then don't get around to gelding him until his yearling year, you'll have to buy another membership (for 2010) before you can send in his gelding certificate. However, if you are a member every year anyway then that isn't a factor. I usually register mine as colts & then send their papers back in to have them changed after the horses are gelded--for me there's just no reason to wait, I like to have them registered sooner rather than later. But, I know many people do wait and register their colts after they have been gelded.

I would geld him first then register him. That will save you sending in the paperwork again. Plus it will cost $10 less as you won't have to pay the stallion to gelding fee.

It's my understanding that even if you don't register a horse until after he's gelded, you still have to provide the gelding certificate & pay the $10 stallion-to-gelding fee?

Someone was telling me that just late last week--a director actually--she said that it's the same cost either way, $30 if you register a colt as a weanling and then send in the gelding certificate later, or $30 if you wait until the horse is a yearling and just register him then as a gelding. She often does this with her colts, so I figure she knows what she is talking about. Based on that, I don't think you'll save any money by waiting until after the horse is gelded.

Latest posts

Back