Newbie Question Alert: How do you get them to stand like that? And Potbellies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

Reaction score
Background: I was presented with a 2 month old mini colt for my birthday this year by crazy husband

I know how to handle big horses. Never ever handled or trained a baby so am learning as I go and working hard not to

mess this little dude up. He is at the breeders with momma until weaning. He is tame and loves attention, but no halter breaking work or

anything training wise. I worked with him on his feet a little, he will let me pick them up, yesterday he let me clean them with little fuss(one foot he fought a little but let me come back and clean it a few minutes later) Farrier has trimmed him up with us holding him still (not happy) Im working on halterbreaking, the 110 degrees days are making it hard, So far I am able to work with him on weekends in the early morning. Im letting him be during the week other than a fast visit in the shade grooming, feet touching and maybe some halter on and off stuff.

Now onto my question.... for later once we start working more and when hes at my property where I can work with him more after its cool and not so miserable

How do you teach them to stand all nice and pretty for the show ring like I see pictures of all the time?

Also how do you keep them wellfed without that heavy potbelly look? His momma is a chunk-o-lump and I dont like that potbelly look.

Is there a way to feed specifically to prevent that look? Its it like ME .... lots of excersize haha?

When one of my boys had the huge potbellied look the forum suggested that he needed more protein. I added a 30% supplement (triplecrown 30%) or something like that and didn't just feed hay. Although we still battle the bulge, his weight improved over the topline and the belly went down considerably with the addition of the protein. Hay only diet made big belly on my guy. You can also feed too little thinking they are fat, when in reality they need some protein added to their diet. Too little feed makes big bellies too.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, the potbelly look can come from a couple of things. Too stalky or stemmy hay, or not enough protein. Also, be sure your deworming program is on course.

Congrats!!! You are going to have so much fun with him. I agree with the above advise and just want to add that it might be a good idea for her not to be in a rush to wean him too early. That tends to cause a pot belly. 5 to 6 months would be best if they will wait that long. Some of the way he will look will depend on his conformation. If he has shorter legs He will look bigger around the middle. If he is bigger boned he will not look the same as very fined boned mini. You want to take that into consideration when watching his weight. When he is not clipped he will look much heavier and much more round. Do not mistake that for fat.

To set them up just try and set them up by the halter, not try and set them up by their feet. It will be easier down the road. But most important is just try and make them stand still. I would just make them stand away from you giving you two eyes and if he starts moving pop the lead rope and make him give you those 2 eyes. If he wants to go back wards make him go back. It's all to do with pratice.

As for the pot belly my recommendation is give him a mare/foal feed and most of them have 16% protein, and keep up with your deworming program. Thats the best advice I can give you. You don't want to exercise the weanlings or yearlings for very long maybe 10, 15 min. tops. Alot of it comes down to your feeding program. Also I wouldn't worry so much about the broodmare, most of them have the extended belly look because well they just had a baby. Usually once the baby is weaned and if the mare isn't bred back her belly gets back to normal unless she is a older experienced broodmare then sometimes that belly doesn't come back up.

In order to keep a baby from getting that "hay pot bell" look - the others are right. Top quality grain and lots of it. WAY too many people think that skinny=refined but they couldn't be further from the truth. So pump the grain to that little guy and free-choice, soft highly palatable grassy hay will work wonders on keeping that hay belly away (plus a regular worming schedule).

any suggestions as to how to reduce the pot belly of one that was a rescue and developed the belly prior to improved feeding? He did seem to grow out of it, but still has a bit of one... kind of like he needs to do some sit ups ;)

any suggestions as to how to reduce the pot belly of one that was a rescue and developed the belly prior to improved feeding? He did seem to grow out of it, but still has a bit of one... kind of like he needs to do some sit ups ;)
Gradually up the feed or change the feed and up it. A pot belly is usually a sign a horse is either not getting enough protein or not enough feed in general. Also be sure to deworm. Many people underestimate what a growing mini should eat

Back