Newbie here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_keylover

Reaction score
saludando.gif

Hello,my name is PJ and Im new to the Mini Donkey world.I am the proud owner of three Jennets.My first Donkey was Annie(13 mos. old) Hubby and I got her on our Anniversary hence the name Annie.She was so lonely and brayed everytime I walked out the door so we went out 2 days later and got her a friend named Kiah.Kiah is 5 years old and has a 7 week old baby that we named Angel.They are the sweetest most lovable little girls.As soon as I figure out the picture process on here I will send some pics.

My first question (of many Im sure) is can you feed too much hay? I feed an Orchard grass/Timothy/Jap mix.Im feeding Kiah 1 cup of sweet feed(12%) twice a day because she is nursing the foal,but I worry about not giving enough hay or too much hay.They are getting one big flake in the morning and one big flake in the evening between the 3 of them.They did have grass in their field but between the 3 of them and no rain it is about gone.Thanks for being here for a very addicted new donkey lover.

saludando.gif
Hello and welcome! This is a wonderful place to learn lots (and share pictures
smile.gif
) Last Fall my best friend and I decided to jump into the mini donkey adventure and between the 2 of us we have 4 with 1 on the way
smile.gif

On the hay issue - when I have no pasture I feed each little one 2 fleks a day( am and pm). Some others on here may be able to help you out more on that.

Glad your here!

I just saw your picture under the test page - both girls are adorable!

Last edited by a moderator:
HI PJ and WELCOME
saludando.gif
from the great woods of northern Wisconsin. I have 9 of the adorable little longears, including my zeedonk,
wub.gif
Zeebo. Donkeys seem to be like my minis , just like a potato chip..cant stop at one. We also have 35 mini horses.
yes.gif
My donkeys are fed free choice hay, so it is always there for them, mine are on a dry lot (our pastures are horrible this year, with no rain!) In winter when they are stalled, I feed them about 2 good flakes in the morning and 1 at night..unless they have some left from morning. I do grain them about 1 cup each ..just to keep them happy
biggrin.gif
Grain isnt necessary if they are not nursing or in foal, as donkeys are very easy keepers. Donkeys can also develope a cresty neck if given too much grain. Mine also have a mineral and salt lick in there pasture. Hope this helped you a little. Would love to see some pictures of you donkeys. I use photobucket to put the pictures on here ..its really easy, and if I can figure it out, anyone can!!
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back