New to mini's and need advise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suemahree

Reaction score
Hi Everyone from Ogallala Nebraska. I am new to the mini's. I have had horses in my life but never one like this. I have just received my baby (Maegan), she is part mini paint and part welsh pony. I was not suppose to get her until October, but her Mom died from a rattlesnake bite while they were out to pasture. The couple that had her is elderly and not able to give her the attention she required, so now I have this 2 1/2 month old filly. She is weaned and eating very well. She is broke to halter but because of her age I am wanting to know what should be next for her in learning? I have found if she is left in the pasture for long periods of time when it is time for her to go in at night she wants to run and buck even when she is on lead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Your little filly is just doing what babies do! She'll come around as she matures! let me say this about her diet, you might want to suppliment her grain with foal lac pellets or sprinkle some milk replacer on her feed! She still need the protien from the milk replacer until she's at least 4 to 5 months old! Good luck

Bill

I would agree with Bill on upping the protein. Also you didn't mention but does she have company or is she out by herself? You might want to look into a calmer older horse that can give her some manners training and teach her the 'how to be a horse' stuff her mom would have.

Both the above posts contain very good advice which I second. I would also advise you not to try to teach her too much right now but give her a chance to grow and mature a bit before doing much else other than leading her to and from her stall and teaching her manners such as not to nip or kick and buck at you on lead. She will want to play as she is just a youngster but you are not another young horse or playmate and she needs to respect you - you should take on the role of mama. Be gentle but FIRM with her. When she leaps around on the lead give her a rough "eh eh" and little quick tug or jerk on the lead.

I would make sure she's getting plenty of protein and calories, and just enjoy her as a baby for awhile. She's probably too young to really be expected to do much more than be a baby right now. I bet she is adorable
default_wub.png

I thank all of you for the advise. The vet here said that the foal lac (which I did feed to one of my large horses) was not needed and has me feeding Running Horse Mare and foal feed which is high in protein. He had said to only feed once a day about 1/2 cup I have been feeding 3/4 cup 2 times a day plus she is on pasture grass along with carrots for treats. She seems to have adopted me as her mother and talks all the time when I go out and about the property. We have enlarged her pasture today and hopefully that will help burn some of the energy she has. Thank you so much for your welcome and look forward to reading more on the forum.

Sue
default_rolleyes.gif

I thank all of you for the advise. The vet here said that the foal lac (which I did feed to one of my large horses) was not needed and has me feeding Running Horse Mare and foal feed which is high in protein. He had said to only feed once a day about 1/2 cup I have been feeding 3/4 cup 2 times a day plus she is on pasture grass along with carrots for treats. She seems to have adopted me as her mother and talks all the time when I go out and about the property. We have enlarged her pasture today and hopefully that will help burn some of the energy she has. Thank you so much for your welcome and look forward to reading more on the forum.
Sue
default_rolleyes.gif
Not to doubt your vet, but 1/2 cup once a day of Running Horse mare and foal isn't much, even for a part-mini foal. Running Horse is extruded, so very light per volume. The directions on the Running Horse mare/foal feed says to feed .5 to .75# per 100# body weight; now I don't know what a 2.5 month old part mini foal would weigh, but I would guess she might be 50# to 75#, possibly a bit more (I'm thinking about 1/4 of a full-size weanling), so would need about 1/3# to 1/2# of the feed. [i tried the RH Trail Mix, and it was just over 3oz per cup, so I would guess the Mare/Foal would weigh similar.] So, if the RH feed is about 3 oz/cup; I would feed her about 1 cup 2x day (6.5 oz per day). She's just a baby and will need good nutrition to grow up healthy.

congratulations on your new addition.

Ditto what Chanda says, plus, my unweaned foals are getting three times that amount, + Beet Pulp (soaked) once a day, it is quite hard to emphasise enough how badly foals need LOTS of protein, especially in a situation like this.

I really think you need to look at company for your baby, she has lost mama, the reason she is trying to play with you is because she is lonely, pure and simple.

You can try giving her some toys, as well that would help her.

What kind of pasture is she on?? can she see other horses??

I would get a more considered opinion on her diet..a number of on line feed merchants (who are nutrition experts, your Vet is not) will be happy to work with you, you could start with Equilac manufacturers.

She does still need that...is you Vet an expert on Minis??

I think not by what he has said so far, so I would get an expert advice, if I were you...Oh, and we require picture!!!

Everyone here has given you such great advice. I just want to say welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new little mini!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sue,Your little filly is just doing what babies do! She'll come around as she matures! let me say this about her diet, you might want to suppliment her grain with foal lac pellets or sprinkle some milk replacer on her feed! She still need the protien from the milk replacer until she's at least 4 to 5 months old! Good luck

Bill

Sue
default_rolleyes.gif
Not to doubt your vet, but 1/2 cup once a day of Running Horse mare and foal isn't much, even for a part-mini foal. Running Horse is extruded, so very light per volume. The directions on the Running Horse mare/foal feed says to feed .5 to .75# per 100# body weight; now I don't know what a 2.5 month old part mini foal would weigh, but I would guess she might be 50# to 75#, possibly a bit more (I'm thinking about 1/4 of a full-size weanling), so would need about 1/3# to 1/2# of the feed. [i tried the RH Trail Mix, and it was just over 3oz per cup, so I would guess the Mare/Foal would weigh similar.] So, if the RH feed is about 3 oz/cup; I would feed her about 1 cup 2x day (6.5 oz per day). She's just a baby and will need good nutrition to grow up healthy.

congratulations on your new addition.

You've recieved excellent guidance here. She's a baby. Expecting her to act like a horse is like expecting an infant to mind.
default_wink.png
I would spend time sitting with her and talking and touching and become the lead mare, in effect..her mom. By being lead mare she will learn manners as a horse should in time. So sad her mum died.

Young ones need a good amount of feed, like kids! Many vets feel minis are fed too much and they get fat, some do but I hate to see them "underfed" especially the wee ones so feed her up and I would mind the carrots, she could choke. Try Cheerios if you want a snack for her.

Have you another horse for her for company? There's your best teacher. She'll need a friend and do feed her in a stall or enclosed space so she willingly comes in for you like a lady. Congratulations and best wishes, you'll do well. Has she a name?

Again I thank everyone for the advise. The pasture is fenced now so Maegan had plenty of room to run and graze. This morning she seems to be happier. I must say I have never had a horse that loved to be brushed and pampered as much as this one. She is the talker. I have been reading the the forum where beet pulp is being fed a lot. I am heading to town today and going to look into this product. I will up the running horse to 1 cup 2 times a day. It just seemed to be so little, although I was worned on colic and bloat, so I do not want to over do it. She is looking real good weight wise at this time.

As soon as I can get pictures developed I will post pictures. We thought she was going to be black when she was born with her white tail and white spot on her rear, but she is shedding out to be a beautiful dark chocolate.

Again thanks for your help.

Sue

Again I thank everyone for the advise. The pasture is fenced now so Maegan had plenty of room to run and graze. This morning she seems to be happier. I must say I have never had a horse that loved to be brushed and pampered as much as this one. She is the talker. I have been reading the the forum where beet pulp is being fed a lot. I am heading to town today and going to look into this product. I will up the running horse to 1 cup 2 times a day. It just seemed to be so little, although I was worned on colic and bloat, so I do not want to over do it. She is looking real good weight wise at this time. As soon as I can get pictures developed I will post pictures. We thought she was going to be black when she was born with her white tail and white spot on her rear, but she is shedding out to be a beautiful dark chocolate.

Again thanks for your help.

Sue
Just go slow with increasing or changing feeds. Since she's been on 1/2 cup 1x daily, for a day or two just add a half cup for a second meal (so 1/2 cup 2x day), then up one meal to 1 cup and do that for a couple days, then up the second meal to 1 cup. If you go slowly, you shouldn't have problems with colic. Same when you try to add the beet pulp (if you get it); just start with about 1/4-1/2 cup dry, add at least that much water (enough water to cover the pellets or shreds), then feed once all fluffed up; once she readily eats the small amount, then you can slowly increase the amount over of 4-5 day period. How much beet pulp to feed depends on why you feed it; I typically feed 1/3# dry measure per day (then soaked) to each of minis during winter to help with hydration. [For weight gain, I'd feed more.]

I just weaned my foal, as his mother was sold. He is 3 months old and was already eating about 1 1/2 cup of Omelene 300 with some beet pulp twice a day. He is with a 2 yr old gelding, who is in fact his full brother, that he was already bonded to. I am a novice to this as well but he seems to be doing well. Any suggestions are welcome though. He is about 40 or 50 # now I would guess as I can't pick him up easily anymore
default_smile.png

I wish you luck with your new baby!

Barb

Well just got back from town. Was not able to find beet pulp here, actually no one at the feed store we have even knew about it. I was able to pick up some milk powder for foals. It it 22% protein. Will add alittle to her feed tonight and see how she does. Also picked up some cheerios-she loves them. Small handful and she was hooked. Will add feed gradually and will let you know how things go.

Sad to say at this time she does not have any pasture mates, the people I got Maegan from has a colt that is 1 1/2 months old that they would like me to have, but I don't know if I am up to 2 babies at the same time.

Sue

It sounds like you are well on your way with your new addition, congratulations!

I wanted to add, that if your filly hasn't been dewormed yet, you'll want to get her started on a deworming regimen. Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of miniature horses!
default_laugh.png

You mention deworming. I did not deworm my bigger horses until they were 4 months old. Do I start now with Maegan and what dewormer would you suggest? The vet did not mention deworming yet but from the forum I do not think he was to knowledgeable about mini's.

Latest posts

Back