new to donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razzy3d

Reaction score
I got my first mini Jenny about 2 months ago. I absolutely adore her. I have lots of mini horses and I put her in with my weanlings. She is so funny, she allows them to push her around. I plan to breed her to my mini stallion in february. I have been told that is not a good idea because hinnys are not as popular as mules. However, I absolutely adore my stallion and just have to have whatever it is they produce. Any opinions on this? My stallion may not even be interested in her, but that remains to be seen. Thanks, I love to read and learn about my new kid here.

It takes a special stallion to breed a jenny. Jennies are a whole different animal....in more ways than one!
biggrin.gif

Their standing heat is shorter than a mares. They show differently than a mare too. If you see them back into a boy and start chewing the air....they are ready!

Most stallions won't give a jenny the time of day. There are a few out there. Then you have to see if the jenny will settle by the stallion. A donkey's body temperature is higher than a horse.

It might work, then again it might not. But there is no harm in giving it a shot!

It isn't that hinneys aren't as popular as mules, just harder to produce. Corrine (Meadowridge) has a couple of hinneys by her stallion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true, hinnys are ALOT harder to produce.
yes.gif
Also, when a mare is settled by a jack about 90% of the time they will abort there foal within the first few months.
no.gif
There have even been tests done at universities to try to find out why it is harder to produce a hinny and why the majority of them abort. I have quit a few stallions and only one is willing to breed with a jenny.
biggrin.gif
I have used Frosty on outside jennys as well, and he always manages to get the jennys in foal within a breeding or two.
yes.gif
I think hinnys would be just as popular as mules its just there are so few of them. I LOVE mine, especially Snickers.
wub.gif
.he is the pasture clown, his best buddy is my zedonk. Good Luck ..I hope it works for you. Corinne

thank you so much for the information. I sure hope he is interested in her in the spring. Any certain time of the year I should put them together? I thought I'd wait till February.

Latest posts

Back