New Quilt - just finished

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
I told Karla I'd post when I finished my quilt, so here it is:

MonterreyMedallions-completed.jpg

The picture is a little dark; but the quilt is darker anyway, the background is a red/cream toile flannel and the rest are black/red(burgandy) prints (florals, stripes, vines and etc) and a couple of cream/tan toiles.

The pattern is from a book called Monterrey Medallions; it uses only 4 blocks and they offer a simple version and a complex version. As I chose flannel, I did the simple version. The quilt is 72"x72" and all flannel with cotton batting.

This is the only quilt I worked on last winter, I wasn't terribly into quilting, so only did the one. I'm feeling pretty quilty now, so this winter may be pretty productive. First quilt meeting of the year is Monday, so wanted to finish before then.

Excellent work, I have no talent or patients here.
default_wink.png
:
Thank you.

Well, talent comes with practice and I have been practicing (I make pet quilts with my scraps to donate to a couple of shelters I like to help). Patience isn't one of my strong suits, which is why I usually make baby sized quilts and occasionally lap sized quilts, I can get them done fairly quickly. I also do everything by machine, no hand-sewing here. This happens to be one of the largest quilts I've made, and the first all flannel quilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chanda

Beautiful!! I have so many UFO's I don't know where to start. I love

the pattern and colors!!!!

Chanda

Beautiful!! I have so many UFO's I don't know where to start. I love

the pattern and colors!!!!
Thank you.

I have a few ideas with fabric and patterns purchased, but not actually started. I caught up on my actual UFOs a couple years ago, the guild had a challenge to finish some UFOs during the year, so I got quite a few done.

I also sell some quilting supplies, if you want to check out my on-line store. [i sell out of my home and on-line]. I live in the boonies and had little selection, so I thought why not.

HC Quilting Notions

[SIZE=18pt]WOW!!!!![/SIZE]

That is an amazing pattern!!! :new_shocked: It's one of those I look at, think it's gorgeous, admire anyone who might attempt it, and turn the page because it's waaaaay too hard for me.
default_yes.gif
: How big is it? Is the diamond around the center star just squares? And that border must have made you dizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chanda--pay yourself on the back for an amazingly wonderful job!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

PS What are you going to do with it? Gift? Keep?

Karla,

Thank you for the compliment.

It's really not that complicated, it only uses 4 blocks; the center medallion block (18"), woodpile blocks (similar to logcabin, but easier), floating star and 4-patch chain. [the blocks to go around the center are all 9" square.] The quilt is 72"x72" (61 blocks total - 18" center block plus 60 - 9" blocks). I don't know if I'll keep it or not, I made the pattern as it was the guild's project for last year (we had monthly lessons from the book) and I love the fabrics; Madeline flannel collection from RJR (I still have some available in my store). [The diamond around the center is made up of woodpile blocks.]

Here's a picture of the center medallion alone (before I sewed the pieces together):

MonterreyMedallions-centermedallion.jpg

And, here's a layout picture before I sewed the blocks together, you can kind of see where the blocks are:

monterreyMedallions-firstlayout-par.jpg

Cool! I love to see how they are put together. Now that piece that makes the point--with the two triangles? Did you make a big triangle then put the smaller one right on top of it-right sides together, sew, iron, then trim? It looks like the easiest way. I see the squares that make up the border aorund the center. They are exactly log cabin squares. What made you say they were easier? Some special trick I need to know? :lol:

I bet you'd love the pattern of one I have in the works--the sunflower material..the picture looks so complicated, but once I saw how it was put together, it was simple. Do you get any quilting magazines? It's in one.

I wonder if I could scan it???
default_unsure.png
:
On the one with the points, if it's the one I"m thinking of, it isn't triangles; you sew two strips together (the dark ones), and then use the combined piece on a rectangle like you would to put together flying geese (very wasteful of fabric, but fairly easy). Clear as mud? I don't know how to explain it.

Here's a woodpile block (picture from the book I used):

woodpileblock.jpg

For me it was easier than a classic log cabin (my logs get wonky).

I love quilts and yours is really well done! You have a lot of talent! :lol:

That is absolutely beautiful...you did a great job I would say...

Clara

Thank you all for the compliments, they are greatly appreciated. I quilt just for my own pleasure, so I make them all to my taste. I've given away a few as baby shower gifts to friends and a couple to charities (sent a couple to Katrina relief in Houston last year) and a few to friends. I still have 3 or 4 here for me.

Latest posts

Back