New pony... What bit to pick?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
I got a new pony... He is broke to drive and has been shown. I like to keep things consistent if possible if horses change hands... I always give as much information if I sell a horse as possible. Many times I know the new owner will change things up but at least they have a starting point.

After inquiring, all I could get from his previous owner is that he wore a " curb bit" with a dog chain over check bit.

What would you guys recommend starting him in? I am getting all new tack for him but would prefer to not buy a ton of stuff I don't have to.

I am sort of leaning towards a Mullen mouth Liverpool but I just dont know.

I prefer French link snaffles but that's obviously not a curb.

Any suggestions?

Andrea

Well, you can get french-link or "bean" liverpools, and try him on the "snaffle" setting. Is there anyone around your area that might have a bit or two you could try? I know that Iowa Valley Tack will let you return a bit if the horse or pony won't accept it, perhaps give her a call and talk to her. they have tons of beautiful pony bits, and I am sure you will find one that suits.

Personally I find it rather odd that they don't even know what kind of bit their own pony drove in...I am such a bitaholic and work so hard to make my horses and ponies happy-mouthed, I fail to grasp that.
default_no.gif

He was at a trainer's, so I am quite sure he knows exactly what sort of bit this guy was in. I just don't get the feeling I am privy to any sort of information.

I just dont want to do the Cinderella slipper thing if I can find a generally-accepted, versatile bit.

He was at a trainer's, so I am quite sure he knows exactly what sort of bit this guy was in. I just don't get the feeling I am privy to any sort of information.
I find that down-right rude.
default_no.gif
I have always made a point to telling buyers what bit the horse they are buying is used to, and if not available locally, (many of the better mini bits are not) I give the bit to them. I want my horses as happy with their new people as they were here, after all, a happy horse does well, and that is what brings people back and talking well of my horses to their friends.

Yeah, I don't see what a big deal it would have been. Oh well, all I can do is move forward....

It makes me a little uneasy that a trainer wouldn't tell you what kind of bit the pony was used to and why. We bought a pony who had been a Congress winner and his driving bridle (everyday one) and bit and overcheck bit came with. I wasn't happy with the bits and called the trainer who originally trained and showed the pony to see if that was the bits he had used (they were). He was more than happy to explain the choice of bits and why. It was nothing major and I did switch over to something I liked better and the pony was happy too. It sounds like it may have been a bit harsher or stronger bit IMO that was used; but maybe not. I guess you will have to experiment. If I remember former posts correctly-you are not new to ponies
default_biggrin.png

It sounds like it may have been a bit harsher or stronger bit IMO that was used; but maybe not.
default_sad.png
that is the feeling I get too, if they aren't forthright, makes me think there is a reason. I mean seriously...a regular, "legal" bit, isn't a secret weapon.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have to agree with the others, any legal bit should not be a great secret.
default_no.gif
It is entirely possible that they just didn't know the actual name of the bit just to give them the benefit of the doubt.....

I am going to guess this is a Modern Shetland as you are contemplating a Liverpool? I would agree that a mullenmouth Liverpool would be a good place to start. No matter what bit you decide to give a try you are going to have to act as if the horse has never been bitted and start at square one for your own safety. I would also start with the least offensive overcheck bit and work the horse in a round pen with long lines before even considering hitching the horse. Once you see how he handles that bit arrangement you will be able to decide if he perhaps needs a port for tongue relief or whatever..... It is entirely possible to retrain a horse to a different bit than they are used to and you may find that you get better performance from him than the previous owners did
default_yes.gif
Good luck with him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys... I'm not new to driving or ponies... This guy is a hackney.

Regardless of a horse's background I do start at square one (we are lunging on a line right now) because I have the general belief that most professional trainers take shortcuts and not only do I want to find all the holes in training, but I also want to make sure he understands me and my cues and knows what to expect.

I prefer snaffles but if he's used to a curb for some reason I'd like him to have something familiar.

Thanks,

Andrea

Latest posts

Back