New pics of my rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_in_the_hat72

Reaction score
I got some new pics of Minnie. Minnie Pics This is the mare we rescued back in October. I just started adding Born to Win to her oats and beet pulp since she is still having trouble gaining weight across her topline. I really think she's come a long ways and seems to be much happier. She now will run and buck around her pen which is a really good sign. At one time she could barely walk. I do have a question about her hooves. Her front hooves seem to be coming along well considering what they looked like before. I have a new farrier working on her and I do think she's done wonders for her. Now in looking at her back feet something just looks odd to me. Is it just me or does she have way too much toe? She was just trimmed about a week before these pics were taken. Just wondering if I should say something to the farrier or not.

She sure is improving.

Hard to tell from pictures, but yes, she may have too much toe.

But I think the angle is off too, more so.

But with the work he is doing, don't know what stage he is at, as far as repair. So this may be where he wants to be at this stage.

Her rear feet were not that bad. Maybe a bit long but after a couple of trims they looked fine. It wasn't til we switched farriers that they started looking off.

Good for you! She looks so happy!

I was interested in the hooves, as it looks as though the frog is moving to one side in the photo. If this is a change from before, I think you should point it out to your farrier. In my limited experience, it doesn't take long for a hoof to get out of balance if the frog isn't kept straight. But, maybe it was much worse before and now it is doing better?

I enjoyed looking at your photos of her. I like her color.

Marsha

Minis need to be trimmed the same as the big ones, with the frog, sole and hoof all taken care of and at the correct angles. Many farriers seem to develope 'habits' and perhaps he is not paying attention to the back angle.

I would gently ask him if he can not leave so much toe on the back feet...

In looking at the very last line of photos on the 2nd page, you will notice the rears have been squared off in the front. This is normally done when the toes are too long but sometimes cannot be taken back more until some growth occurs. It is to keep the breaking over and not "pulling" the hoof as they move. Also, when they have been allowed to get so gnarly, the hoof capsule that encloses the coffin bone, etc., needs to reform to some degree. This didn't happen over short term and won't correct short term.

Don't know who either farrier is but, IMO, they have brought her along well. You must remember that once they grow out too long, while there is a great, great deal of hoof that has no feeling and can be removed, there is also a "quick" that is longer out than you would have in a horse which had been kept trimmed up all along. So, there is an amount that can comfortably be removed and then, best balance needs to be considered. Slowly the old hoof will grow out, be cut, and the new hoof walls will become more aligned. The hooves will take on more strength and can be shortened and re-shaped.

This can easily be expected to take a yr, IMO, to be fully removed. Talk to your farrier the next time he's out and ask him what he anticipates finishing out with, how long it should take, etc. Personally, I think the difference is dramatic and she is feeling better than you about it. :aktion033: There is some irratic wear on other feet if a couple are really off, as hers were. I'm saying that the fronts causing her to not be able to bear full weight would create some compensation by the rear legs/feet. Similar to how a horse stands when foundered, to displace weight. Now that she can walk freely and bear weight more evenly on all four, you will probably begin to see a more rapid improvement -- here ligaments, tendons and muscle will all begin to realign and rebuild, also. It isn't JUST about the hooves, it's the whole body. Think of it this way -- if you badly sprained an ankle and could not bear weight, used crutches, etc., you entire body muscle system changes to help you move, you get sore, etc. See what I mean? Well, she's been going through all that.

You're doing a great job with her. :aktion033: Keep up the good work.

Some of our farriers on here will be able to explain this in greater depth than I, I'm sure. I have read a great, great deal about corrective work....have done some of my own and trust me, it's slow and tedious but very rewarding when complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back