New Person questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adell Equine

Reaction score
We picked up an other mini stallion just yesterday. (Wasn't planned) He doesn't have any papers, and its about 36ins tall. Our plan for him is to go on a diet, gelding him in the spring (just when the vet likes to do it) then driving him. We were told that he is broke to ride and drive, but we didn't see him to either.

My questions are

1. Would it make sence to hardship him into AMHR (if its even possible) so that we can show him. Or can you show him in open mini classes? Is there open mini shows?

2. I was reading in one post about a book that every beginner should have? What is the name of that book?

3. If you had a large B mini would you use collar? His name is Hubba Bubba and he looks like a Bubba
default_yes.gif
Are the collars better suited to "work horse" type minis?

4. Is there different sizes of carts? Would you use the same cart for a 32in as you would for a 36?

I think that is all for tonight, but I am sure I will have more questions before too much longer.

i don't have any answers for your questions sry, but we call my mini bubba too. (his names really rain though)

Not sure I can answer all your questions, but can a few:

1. Would it make sence to hardship him into AMHR (if its even possible) so that we can show him. Or can you show him in open mini classes? Is there open mini shows? AMHR only allows "hardship" from AMHA or ASPC, so he can not be registered. Many open shows have classes that a mini can be entered in, not necessarily mini only classes, but classes taht would be ok for a mini (driving, showmanship, halter).

2. I was reading in one post about a book that every beginner should have? What is the name of that book? Probably Barbara Naviaux's book "Miniature Horses: Their Care, breeding and colors".

I'm still learning about driving, so can't help you there.

Hi There

1) There are plenty of open "unrated" miniature horse shows, such as local county fairs and most states have clubs that put on a few unrated shows. You can find them anywhere for the most part. You must register the horse with the AMHA first, then the AMHR. BUT, being that he is 36'' you cannot register him with AMHA, therefore he cannot be hardshipped into AMHR (he must have AMHA papers first). I'm sorry
default_sad.png

That is all the help i can be
default_smile.png

Hi and welcome to the world of minis!!!

1. Would it make sence to hardship him into AMHR (if its even possible) so that we can show him. Or can you show him in open mini classes? Is there open mini shows?

Unfortunately, that's not an option. AMHR is a closed registry now.

2. I was reading in one post about a book that every beginner should have? What is the name of that book?

There are two I'd actually recommend. They are Miniature Horses: A Vetrinary Guide for Owners and Breeders by Rebecca Frankeny and Miniature Horses: Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors by Barbara Naviaux

3. If you had a large B mini would you use collar? His name is Hubba Bubba and he looks like a Bubba
default_yes.gif
Are the collars better suited to "work horse" type minis?
I wouldn't, but only because I don't care for the looks. I've driven B size horses (and my Morgan) in fine harnesses.

4. Is there different sizes of carts? Would you use the same cart for a 32in as you would for a 36?

They do come in different sizes. I've driven a 32" mini with carts that I can also use on a 36" mini but it all depends on the build of the horse (length more so than height) and the horse's stride.

Have fun and enjoy your new guy!!!
default_yes.gif

1. Would it make sence to hardship him into AMHR (if its even possible) so that we can show him. Or can you show him in open mini classes? Is there open mini shows? There are lots of open shows at the fairs and you can certainly have fun with him at home!

2. I was reading in one post about a book that every beginner should have? What is the name of that book? The 2 books previously mentioned are good but don't limit yourself to them. Read and learn as much as you can!

default_yes.gif
Are the collars better suited to "work horse" type minis? There are several types of breastcollars available now that provide adjustable draft and work well. The use of a neck or breast collar doesn't hinge on the look of it or type of horse but rather type of draft. If you have horizontal draft on a vehicle a breast collar can work well but for lower draft a neck collar is more suitable and kinder to the horse as it puts the weight on the shoulders where it belongs rather than his neck or back. It can be difficult to fit a mini for a neck collar as they change so much from summer to winter and a neck collar must fit well or it can be worse than using a breast collar. You may need 2 different sizes.

4. Is there different sizes of carts? Would you use the same cart for a 32in as you would for a 36? That all depends on the cart itself. There are carts available that adjust in every which way. You need to look at the length and height of the shafts and make sure that the point of draft is centered in the right spot to allow the cart to balance. Changing wheel size can make the difference if the length of shaft is suitable, there should be about 8 to 12" between the horses butt and the singletree when the point of shaft is at or slightly behind the point of shoulder.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back