new owner w/some questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy4H

Reaction score
Hi , I have been reading the forum for months now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. I live in southern Mass with my husband, 2 children(14 and 8), dog, guinea pig, fish and a MINI! We got our first mini(and 1st horse ever) in Aug. His name is Indian Rain Dance(Rain), my daughter has been posting under his name, so I'm sure you've seen many pictures of him.

We have been involved in 4H for the past 5 years and I am the leader of the Goat club. Our 4H program also purchased a mini last year. Our 4H program is a little different than most as we are in a suburban area where most people don't have the land to own animals .So we have a centrally located 4H barn and the kids come in and out to feed the animals. All animals are owned by the program and we pay monthly dues to cover the cost of Hay ,grain etc.. We are mainly an educational program and go to area fairs to educate the public about our animals. We have Goat, sheep, Rabbit and poultry clubs.

Anyway, my question concerns our 4H mini who is spending the winter at my house keeping my colt company which is working out great. I kind of call him our rescue mini as he is extremely skittish around people, I've had some people say they think he was abused. He has no bad habits, doesn't kick, bite etc... the most he does is just scoot away from you. As long as you go up to him very slowly talking softly to him you can halter him with no problem. But he doesn't enjoy being petted at all, would prefer that you just leave him alone. Has anyone ever used calming supplements on their horses?? I certainly don't want to drug him, but feel bad that he is so nervous around people and would like to make his life a little less stressful especially if we are going to trailer him or take him to a fair. We have had him a year now ( he's 6)and he has gotten somewhat better, and hope that over time he will come around some. He has been well trained, he's broke to ride(small children only), leads well and doesn't spook at anything, which is suprising seeing he's so skittish with people, and also doesn't seem to mind giving pony rides.

Sorry this is so long, thanks for all your advise in advance.

Have you tried sitting in the pasture, and just being there so that he can gain confidence. I had to do that with my little guy, as he had not been handled much, and just sitting in there reading a book, made him curious enough to come to me and see that I was not a threat. I've had my kids do it as well, so that he can get used to many people there at the smae time. Taking one that is very skittish to a fair may not be what he needs, as it may panic him. JMO.

Flame/Vicki

I wouldn't use any supplements on him. It will take a lot of kind easy work to get him to gain confidence with people. It could also be that he is being handled by too many different people. He just can't tell who he can trust.

Hi Cindy

I have been a 4-H leader for a number of years, its great.
default_saludando.gif

We have a gelding with similar reactions, what we did was just what you are doing. Sounds like he has good ground manners, which is a huge plus. I think if the kids just keep working with him, he will improve. We think our guy was more trust issues rather than didn't like people. After about a year with him he is quit the suck.

But with the amount of kids in 4-H he should come around quicker. Just set the ground rules for the kids and let them be kids. He will learn that the petting and attention is a good thing.

Good luck with him

keep us posted on his progress

In the past, I've made the best progress "taming" horses and gaining their trust when I have kept them separate from other horses for a time (couple weeks). They seem to come around so much faster when their people are their source (only source) of companionship and comfort. I realize it may sound mean, but a couple weeks can make a life long difference.

I would also avoid calming supplements. I don't really even think they work much if any. I gave some to a filly and a mare before hoping to sooth them in a new / stressful situation and I couldn't tell any difference at all (they were plenty full of fire).

Also, does the 4H mini have a special spot he likes to be scratched? Most of mine really love to be scratched between their front legs like below the bottom of their chest. Some also really like to be scratched between their jowls and behind their ears. If you find a special spot on him, that can go long ways towards convincing him people are good things
default_yes.gif

Thanks for all your input, I guess I'll forget about the suplements I was just wondering if there was anything all natural that could help him cope a little better. I think you are right I think it is more of a trust issue than actually not liking human contact. If he thinks you have food he's there in a second! I haven't found a spot that he likes to be scratched, I've tried but just doesn't seem to enjoy being touched, but I'll keep trying.When we first got him we did just sit in his paddock for periods of time and he would come over to us, and like I said he has gotten a little better. So, I think it is just going to take time, which we have plenty of as he has a forever home with our 4H program.

Latest posts

Back